Author Topic: Surf Travel Paddle 3 piece  (Read 2379 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surf Travel Paddle 3 piece
« on: October 17, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
I am trying to choose and buy a 3 piece SUP paddle for SURFING. I regularly use a fixed length, full carbon paddle with an oval shaft (Chinook Thrust 92). My favorite features are the clean shaft for moving hands, oval shaft for switching hands and the lightness. I am really apprehensive about a paddle with a clamp style adjustment mechanism near my hands. I am intrigued by Werner's adjustment in the handle (and cleaner shaft).... but will miss my oval shaft (on Chinook whose adjustable has a big clamp). Curious what other SUP surfers' opinions are on paddle preferences.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

NEsurfSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Travel Paddle 3 piece
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:50:47 AM »
Liv2surf:  Just a few hours before your post, I ordered the three piece, Surge surf paddle from Black Project.  I recently acquired a two piece Sunova "Creek" for travel and on my first two trips I used the three piece paddle that came with my Red inflatable.  While this paddle was adequate for flat water paddling on the inflatable, I really noticed the lack of power I was getting while surfing, especially when I came back home and used my regular Werner nitro in my first surf session here.
So I researched here on the zone and decided on the Black Project "Surge".  See the review in this thread:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31370.msg354022.html#msg354022

Besides the good review, I like the all carbon and that it is designed for surf.  Also, they can make the paddle pieces short enough to fit in my check in luggage, so I have the option of 1) Pack in with the board, 2) check in, or 3) carry on in its own bag.  Will do a review when I get it and have a chance to use it.  Hope this is helpful.
One piece "electric" Creek 9'4"
Two piece Sunova Creek 9'4"
CoreVac Cannibal Blade 8'8
Angulo surfa 9'8
Naish Mana 10'
Red Sport 11'
2014 Naish Glide 14'
Werner nitro
Black project three part paddle

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
The Good news are you don't have to give up the oval shaft for a travel paddle!
The oval shaft is the one thing I'll never want to give up in any of my paddles, it makes any paddle a better paddle IMO.

That's one of the reasons I go with ZRE paddles as I can get any paddle configuration I want (2-piece, 3-piece etc) with oval shaft.

take a look at this recent thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33737.msg381670.html#msg381670

Below is my current 3 piece setup with adjustable textured oval shaft and just over 16oz. It doesn't get better than that.
I love this shaft so much that I converted all my other blades from other brands to fit it.
in progress...

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »
Was looking at the ZRE website , which paddle is for surfing ? They seem to be canoe paddles .
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
Just got off the water testing the Chinook 3Pcs Thrust 82 & 92 I've been SUPER impressed with these paddles and concidering their cost (Just a little over $150) I'm BLOWN AWAY!

on the other hand....

Never been a fan of 3pcs paddles I'm a big guy and I can feel the joints in my hands and in the flex...UNTIL TODAY
The Chinook 3pc in both 82 & 92 is as close to a one piece paddle I've found and at $169 (ZONER DEAL) you can't beat it! Plus (those of us from Windsurfing KNOW Chinook as a TOP Quality company in both design and constuction as well as integrity 

If you have another Chinook supplier COOL Cool If I can help let me know I'M SUPER PUMPED on these paddles

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »
Was looking at the ZRE website , which paddle is for surfing ? They seem to be canoe paddles .

These are their sup paddles: http://www.zre.com/shop/stand-paddles-c-22_43.html

You won't find my paddle on the website though, this is old school by phone ::)

On the other hand, it allows you to pin point the construction level you want for
your paddle so if you tend to abuse your gear and use it in tough conditions, you could ask
for a heavy duty construction and add some bells and whistles like the kevlar finish, soft coat
for your grip or 2/3 piece glue-on parts and so on.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal