Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle now and then... Eight years later.  (Read 10096 times)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battle of the Paddle now and then... Eight years later.
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
The Open tech final with 10:27 winning time was only one lap on the pro course. The main open race beforehand was two laps on a different course set with top times in the 24:00 range. So not so short, just about the right distance.

Now I see.  The one I saw was the Open Technical Surf Race.  Though they do have it listed in the results as 2 miles sounds like it was just 1.  Guessing the distance course wasn't a full 6 miles either - unless paddlers have gotten a lot faster :)

I'm confused. Are you saying there was an Open Technical Race and also an Open Technical Surf Race?

What's the difference?

I thought a Technical Race was just the stupid ISA term for a BoP style race, ie a Surf Race, but allowing for the possibility of no surf. (So the ISA can hold their events on a lake or in an Olympic city with no surf nearby.)

Clemdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »

The San Diego Paddlefest looks like an interesting paradigm. I have never gone, but plan to go next year.  Clay Island has a great video of it, and how all the different paddlers got together as happy surf outcasts and shared Aloha, waves and beer (my summation of his video) https://clayisland.com/paddlefest/

Supsean, I don't know where that paddlefest was, but it was definitely not in San Diego. I live there and have never heard of it. The video wasn't from anywhere in San Diego. I watched that whole video, and the narrator never once mentioned where it was. Anyone?

Clem
Clem
San Diego
Naish 8'8 X32
Starboard 8'10 Wide Point
Starboard 9'5 Wide Point

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
The Open Technical Race was run on Sunday morning. Two laps with buoy turns but no hammer or boneyard buoy turns in the surf. See Open Technical course map.

The top 16 finishers from that race qualify for the Technical surf race finals later in the afternoon. They run one lap on the same course as the Pros do. That includes the hammer and boneyard buoy turns in the surf. Men & women Open finals are run separately.

So at the end of the day you watch the women's open final, men's open final, women's pro final, men's pro final. All on the same course so they don't have to move buoys around between Open and Pro heats. Actually pretty good flow of events and gives the Open racers incentive to make the finals and run the same course as the Pros.

Clemdog I think supsean is thinking about the Santa Cruz paddlefest not San Diego.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 06:35:59 AM »

The San Diego Paddlefest looks like an interesting paradigm. I have never gone, but plan to go next year.  Clay Island has a great video of it, and how all the different paddlers got together as happy surf outcasts and shared Aloha, waves and beer (my summation of his video) https://clayisland.com/paddlefest/

There is no such event here in San Diego.  The clip you posted was Santa Cruz.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:39:00 AM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »

Supsean, I don't know where that paddlefest was, but it was definitely not in San Diego. I live there and have never heard of it. The video wasn't from anywhere in San Diego. I watched that whole video, and the narrator never once mentioned where it was. Anyone?

Clem

I live in SD also and you are right.  If you click on the actual Youtube link it says Santa Cruz.  Plus I could tell it was from the boardwalk in the back ground.  The closest thing we have here is maybe the Hanhano in January.

SUPuFaka

• Waikiki Status
  • It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
From a participants perspective the vibe was VERY different ! they are all stoked to be there and ready to paddle but for spectators and brands ........its pretty lack luster....

https://staynmocean.com/2017/10/02/the-sup-industry-exposed/
C4 Waterman- raimanas world 9'8 - malolo 14- subvector 9'6

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 01:46:17 PM »
I love every part of the pro surf races.  I love the preliminary rounds where all the action is in the middle of the field with the racers on the cut-off bubble.  I love the finals where lead changes are commonplace and waves bring the field together (or launch the leader).  I love the buoy turns inside the surf zone.  I love the drone-footage.  Etc. etc.   It’s too awesome to give up on it even if it is in decline.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 06:21:33 AM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:33:11 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal