Author Topic: Dock start from one of our own  (Read 6617 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Dock start from one of our own
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »
Here's someone you may remember pulling off an amazing trick. His progression is inspiring.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dock start from one of our own
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »
104 views and no one says, "Hey, Charlie, that's cool!" Did I miss something here? SUPUK proving that you don't have to be Kai to dock start.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
OK good to know.   Props to SUPUK.  It IS impressive! 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
Well, I think it’s very cool. But so many of us know him so have told him personally, I think. It’s particularly poignant since he has also made the board and foil he’s using. I saw it today on the beach when we were meeting Mo Freitas (who was very generous with his time and advice) - I was particular impressed with how light the whole gear was. Most foils I’ve picked up (which admittedly isn’t many) have been very heavy but this was featherlight.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
Oh, and btw, just because supuk can do it, doesn’t mean you can :)

But he tells me that “it is easy”. Maybe his gear is particularly easy to use. His SUPs certainly are: I tried a 12-6 x 24 all-waters board of his today and it is an absolute rocket, and very nice to paddle. Strong and light too. I would like him to make me a 16ftx25.5” version but I think he’s taking a break from SUP-building right now, unfortunately.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
Area10, right? I've seen the toothpicks he paddles. ;)

I need to get back over there and check out his foils in person. Curious to see how his mast comes out as well.

I just haven't personally known anyone who could do this. Super cool.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »
Very impressive all around. But that fits from what I've seen.... 8)

Not in my wildest dreams would I think that because Charlie can do it I can...…. :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 02:47:57 AM »
Very impressive all around. But that fits from what I've seen.... 8)

Not in my wildest dreams would I think that because Charlie can do it I can...…. :)
Well, yesterday he posed the question of why more people aren’t foiling, because it’s so much fun. I said that there were three things putting them off:

1. People say it’s hard.
2. People say it’s dangerous.
3. It is expensive.

He didn’t argue too much with 2 and 3, but was adamant that foiling is NOT hard. Of course, this comes from someone who was using 21.5” wide boards years before Starboard ever considered it, and virtually grew up waterskiing or somesuch. But he is quite tall and he isn’t a lightweight kid. He maintains that after a couple of hours behind a boat, even a wobbly old geezer like me could be up and foiling. Trouble is, I don’t know anyone with a boat, and point 3 is an issue - I don’t want to spend a small fortune on a load of kit that will be worth nothing a few weeks later (given how fast the sport is progressing), only to find I am crap at it or don’t get the right conditions etc. Plus, one reason why SUP is so popular is that it can be quite sociable - you can go for a paddle with your mates and chat etc. Not much chance of that with foiling at the moment in the UK because there are only a handful of people who do it, or probably ever will.

Speaking to Charlie certainly made me want to have a go. But no-one is gonna lend me a foil and board to have my first go on, right? I could slice myself open, and they seem easy to damage, and very expensive. So it’s completely unlike SUP, where you can go and hire an inflatable and fall in safely and not need to spend megabucks. It’s hard to think of a sport that is less accessible than foiling right now (except the extremely expensive or out-of-the-Way ones). And I guess that’s a principal reason who we are all marvelling at Charlie dock-starting, and not doing it ourselves.

He’s convinced me it’s not that hard: I find his judgement excellent, and he’s usually ahead of the game. I tried one of his SUP boards yesterday that he built years ago. It looks like pretty much all the latest and greatest all-waters race boards for 2019 - wide tail, semi-dropped deck with drainers, flat planing bottom like the RS, and a nose that is a bit like a Bark Vapor but not quite etc. But it was less drag than the current production boards I’ve tried, and handled really well, especially downwind. But the key thing as I say is that he built this years ago. So if he says that the foils he’s making are easy to use, and that foiling isn’t as hard as people say, then I believe him.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 05:00:02 AM »
Yes 2 and 3 (mostly 2) are keeping me away.  Two broken bones and a high ankle sprain in less than two years have tempered my desire for sure.

Props to Charlie!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »
Not sure if this will post, but this is a funny video of James Casey trying to dock start on a foil.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »
I'm pretty sure of two things.  One is that the Charlie we know and love is this hidden, unmonetized jewel, before being picked up by a big name company or blowing up all on his own.  His boards are consistently on the absolute cutting edge of highest quality and full of color, style and purpose.  His work is well beyond craftsmanship and into fine art.

The other is that foiling is never going to be mainstream.  If you can't find a place to rent a set up to try it out for yourself because it's any or all of 1. 2. and 3., the average joe is never going to have the opportunity to become familiar without dropping a heavy investment into the sport.  I don't think that this exclusivity is such a bad thing.  I like that sports like drag racing, luge, gymnastics, and foil surfing have a high bar to reach before you're up and running.  The technical qualifications are high, the training and gear are expensive, it can be dangerous, and all that "self governance" maintains a certain safety factor.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
I agree it is rare to have a sport where you have to go "all-in" financially before you can even try it.  I plopped down over three grand before my hair got wet.  What?!?!?!  I just knew it would be worth it because I was drawn to foil the same way I was drawn to SUP.  When you feel the pull of the universe, you know the results are going to be something pretty great. 

I'm super impressed with the dock start.  It's something I can work on here in AZ.  I think when I get the pumping skill down, I will be able to catch any damn wave in the ocean, not just the breaking ones.  It is the key that unlocks a whole world of fun.  But what do I know?  I'm soooooo new to this. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
Jim, you are right on about Charlie. He's ahead on a ton of stuff and his curiosity will always keep him there.

Area10, his encouragement has kept me working on my foil project and I too believe it's not as hard as people think from looking at the progress here from some regular guys. (Charlie is def not a regular example of a paddler.)

I think the luge and other examples stand. It can't get that big just due to the barriers to entry. I'm actually fine with that as it'll keep the spots empty. That's really what's attractive to me, riding without crowds. There's a big swell due here Friday and I almost dread it due to the crowds that will be out.

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
The thing that has me watching this video over and over is how easy he makes it look.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure of two things.  One is that the Charlie we know and love is this hidden, unmonetized jewel, before being picked up by a big name company or blowing up all on his own.  His boards are consistently on the absolute cutting edge of highest quality and full of color, style and purpose.  His work is well beyond craftsmanship and into fine art.

Jim, you are right on about Charlie. He's ahead on a ton of stuff and his curiosity will always keep him there.

Well said, fellas. Charlie is a rare and remarkable gem. In my few exchanges with him he has always been friendly, gracious, and helpful. Good guy all around and I suspect you bunch across the pond are grateful to be able to have a personal relationship with him and to be able to call him a friend. Well done, Charlie! Although I’m not in the least surprised you’re able to do what you have.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard