Author Topic: Diy foil nz  (Read 1056 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy foil nz
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »
These are great man. I'd definitely still glass the wings. Stresses are higher than you realize in certain areas. Don't ask me how I know. lol

But the cuts are so clean. Great to see those perfect lines laid out in the laminated layers.

kiwi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »
That is looking great Kiwi.

I like how even the pattern between wood and glue came out in the plywood.

For one-side flat surfboard fins I usually try to design with a minimum trailing edge thickness of .03"[0.8mm] and/or laminate cloth and resin to the flat side before machining. These two thing help keep the splintering to a minimum. I also just use small tabs to keep the part attached to the stock, like .250"[6.5mm] or so wide and .125" [3.2mm] thick.

Thanks jrandy
Yeah I think I'll include a trailing edge thickness next time because the splintering is pretty annoying.

These are great man. I'd definitely still glass the wings. Stresses are higher than you realize in certain areas. Don't ask me how I know. lol

But the cuts are so clean. Great to see those perfect lines laid out in the laminated layers.

Cheers surfcowboy
Yea I'm definitely still glassing the wings, the strength through the mid section is great but the last 50mm of the tips gets pretty flimsy. Will just glass the entire thing for the guaranteed extra strength.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
I might need some help with beefing up a trailing edge. SUPUK sort of rushed though that part at the end of his wing making Fusion360 video and I'm not 100% clear how to edit the plane he's talking about without messing up.

You guys are making me have to talk myself out of building a CNC. Lol

kiwi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »
Last week I cnc'ed the main foil with the same technique and set a 4mm plate into it for the countersink m5s.
Dad showed me how to glass the wings so they've now got a layer of 300gm biax and been bogged up. Gotta sand them all down now.
I've got access to the cnc at work (just a holiday job at a mostly polystyrene cnc place, theyve got a 5 axis tho  ;D ) and there is a whole lot of pvc foam laying round so I'm going to dig through it and find some 60kg stuff to do the plate mount cassette for the board.

Still gotta glue the 3 parts of the fuz together and get everything mounted together.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
Man, so I clean and so fast.

This thing looks awesome.