Author Topic: Great Lakes Board - Time for an Upgrade - What are you using?  (Read 3193 times)

EsqDavidK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a new board for Lake Michigan. 

Primary users range from 170 to 200 pounds.  For several years we've had a Bic Jungle (10'10X27), and a few Uli iSups (Steamrollers, FAQ and a 10 foot Lopez). 

A few years back it seemed that the Starboard Blend might be ideal.  But, it looks like the trend has been to shorter and wider boards since then.  I wonder if a longer relatively less narrow board like the Blend might still be better suited to the choppy, short wave interval nature of Michigan?

Any hard board similar to the 10 Foot Uli Lopez?

Thanks for any suggestions or input. 

David K

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Great Lakes Board - Time for an Upgrade - What are you using?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
What are the more experienced prone boarders using at the breaks that you surf?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:08:37 AM »
Any hard board similar to the 10 Foot Uli Lopez?
Not in your area (click here), but just saying....

...they're out there still.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

EsqDavidK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »

I wish it was nice enough often enough that we had regular experienced prone surfers.  But, its Lake Michigan, there really is no "break" to speak of and conditions are wildly inconsistent.  Fresh water beach break with wind generated waves.  When there are waves they are as a rule choppy and very short interval.  Fresh water has less float, is a bit slower and the waves are weaker compared to similar sized salt water waves.

DK

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
Hey DK!  Always fun to be in a position of board shopping.  I have the impression you are looking for a surf style SUP for the Lakes.  I am a strong believer in a quiver for maximum Great Lakes enjoyment.  A person who is really trying to get after it should have a good downwind board, a couple surf style boards and, if interested in racing or training maybe a raceboard, though the downwind board would work in a pinch.

There are plenty of good breaks on the southend of Lake MI.  Your generalization about those waves is not as kind as it might be after a few years of getting after it at the right spots in the right winds.  In fact, tomorrow the southend ought to see clean waist high waves at a few different breaks.  Always check the lee side of breakwalls during wind events and don't rule out the beachbreak around places like Ogden dunes.  It does make a difference when you go to the right spot but don't stress about about that.  Go where you can and do what you can.

I can't say for sure what board you ought to get.  You mention an interest in the Blend.  They have changed that design from the original but I was a big fan of the original Blend and a board like that would be great.  That Gerry Lopez posted above is a good choice too.

I am 6'2, 230 lbs without full wetsuit. My focus is on waves and downwinding. I also surf without a paddle and am experimenting with foils.  My current Lake MI SUP quiver is:  a few 14' raceboards, 14' SIC Bullet V2, 17'4 Bullet, Blkbox 9'4x30 surf sup (5 boxes); Blkbox 10x30.5 Megadialer (quad), Blkbox 12'1x27 longboard style SUP (absolutely great and versatile board); Blkbox 8x27 foilboard with GoFoil.

It sounds like you are looking for something for multiple users?  That always ends up in compromise, I think.  Good luck and have fun. 

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »

I wish it was nice enough often enough that we had regular experienced prone surfers.  But, its Lake Michigan, there really is no "break" to speak of and conditions are wildly inconsistent.  Fresh water beach break with wind generated waves.  When there are waves they are as a rule choppy and very short interval.  Fresh water has less float, is a bit slower and the waves are weaker compared to similar sized salt water waves.

DK

Just based on the description of your local spot, (as you know, the Great Lakes offer almost 11,000 miles of shoreline) shorter and wider might make sense.  Maybe a Simmons style board to generate some speed (like L41 or Infinity Phoenix).

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
DK- are you thinking ready-made or custom? Which part of the lake? -J
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

EsqDavidK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
All, thanks for the replies. 

We stay in Holland, south side of the pier.   I've been going up to the general area for over 40 years.

Until recently it made more sense for me to have inflatables instead of rigid boards.

I do not know if a Simmons style board would work.  I have never tried one.  Based on my Uli inflatables I know that  I prefer the longer and slightly skinnier Lopez to the FAQ and Mini Quad.  The small fins on the quad Ulis seem to make it hard for me to surf and break out of the surf zone.

The Bic Jungle is a bit of a beast even though its only 10'10.  It is not very stable and does not glide very well but is okay at riding waves.

We tested several boards on flat water a few years ago.  Loved the 12'6 yellow Bark but think that this next purchase should be a good all all around style lake board.

We do prone surf when conditions are right.  We primarily use a 9 foot foam board and an 10 foot NSP longboard.

Picture shows four of us last summer.  My youngest is paddling out on our Uli Steamroller.  Two other kids are prone surfing and I am the kook riding the Bic (I think I was prone surfing it as I do not see a paddle).

Thanks.

DK
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:43:36 PM by EsqDavidK »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:25 AM »
That is a great picture, thanks for sharing.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 03:34:13 AM »
Hey
Most definitely the best board for Great Lakes surfing is the Fanatic AllWave at your size the 9’4 will work perfect Floaty enough to get you into freshwater waves but short enough to fit in the short frequency
We’ve sold a bunch of them on the Great Lake area and everyone seems to love Ke them
Plus as a ZONER you get special pricing so they are on the inexpensive side just pop me a pm or email me with specific questions
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal