Author Topic: Sunova Allwater vs Ocean  (Read 5132 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova Allwater vs Ocean
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
I am considering of ordering a Sunova Ocean Pro or Allwater Pro. Is the Ocean model significantly better than the Allwater Pro in downwinds? We don't have these boards in Spain yet so no possibility to test. Is Ocean Pro significantly slower in choppy or flatter conditions then Allwater? I guess what I am trying to understand is will I lose more in downwind with Allwater then I would lose in general flattish, choppy waters and upwind with the Ocean? I want to paddle mostly in downwind conditions but here in Mallorca we have typical Mediterranean winds and swells so mostly 15-20 knots and the swell period is shorter than the Oceans like 5-8 seconds max.

Sunova Allwater Pro
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/flatwater-touring-race/allwater-faast-pro

Sunoca Ocean Pro
https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/flatwater-touring-race/ocean-faast-pro

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:36:49 AM by viatormundi »

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Allwater vs Ocean
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:12:13 PM »
I just got my Allwater board a week and a half ago.  I've not tried the Ocean, so I cannot compare.  They do look so close it's hard to tell them apart except for color.  But if your intention is to just do a lot of downwinding, then I'd say go with the board that the manufacturer intended for that, the Ocean.  They cost the same, so I'd say that's the best bet for you.  The reason I got the Allwater is because I wanted a board that could handle open water conditions, but also didn't make me lose too much in the flats. 

The only other suggestion I'd make is don't buy the board based on width.  Instead buy the one that has the right volume for you.  I got the 27" thinking the wider would be better for stability (my balance stinks), but now I think it might be more volume than I'd rather have for my weight.  I probably could have gotten the 25" and had the same stability.  I currently feel like I'm not even taking advantage for the board being a dugout, i.e. I'm riding higher than I thought I would.  But since I had to order it online, I couldn't try out the different widths before buying.  Sounds like you have the same problem.  Maybe talk with the Sunova people, or with whatever shop you are thinking of buying it from, and try to get their recommendations for which one will fit you better, based on your stats and experience/skills.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
I haven't paddled either, but have paddled similar boards. Just from what they show on their website pictures of the boards, I would bet the Ocean model is considerably slower in flat water. The Ocean has a lot of nose rocker with is good for downwinding. The nose planes in the troughs which helps maintain speed. If you look at the pictures of the ocean, you can see the on flatter conditions the first half of a meter doesn't even touch the water. Effectively making a 14' paddle more like a 12'6. The Ocean model would be good for in and out of surf type of races too, because of all the nose rocker.
The Allwater has a flatter rock throughout which will make it faster because it has more length in the water. The nose shape on the Allwater is soft enough to downwind in the shorter period swells of your area. I think the Ocean will only really perform in a few types of conditions. I personally would see the Allwater as my daily go to open ocean / flat water board.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »
What is your weight?

I just got my Allwater board a week and a half ago.  I've not tried the Ocean, so I cannot compare.  They do look so close it's hard to tell them apart except for color.  But if your intention is to just do a lot of downwinding, then I'd say go with the board that the manufacturer intended for that, the Ocean.  They cost the same, so I'd say that's the best bet for you.  The reason I got the Allwater is because I wanted a board that could handle open water conditions, but also didn't make me lose too much in the flats. 

The only other suggestion I'd make is don't buy the board based on width.  Instead buy the one that has the right volume for you.  I got the 27" thinking the wider would be better for stability (my balance stinks), but now I think it might be more volume than I'd rather have for my weight.  I probably could have gotten the 25" and had the same stability.  I currently feel like I'm not even taking advantage for the board being a dugout, i.e. I'm riding higher than I thought I would.  But since I had to order it online, I couldn't try out the different widths before buying.  Sounds like you have the same problem.  Maybe talk with the Sunova people, or with whatever shop you are thinking of buying it from, and try to get their recommendations for which one will fit you better, based on your stats and experience/skills.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
The Ocean has a lot of nose rocker wich is good for downwinding(...)
I personally would see the Allwater as my daily go to open ocean / flat water board.
+1 Talldude, you perfectly sum up what I understood. These boards have very different rockers and nose, so they will react differently.
Personally I went for the Allwater, board coming soon. Sunova recommended me the 25'5, I'm 85kg/1m91

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:58:58 PM »
What is your weight?

I'm 6'2" and 173 lbs.  I don't think it's as much that I'm too light, as that these boards have a lot of volume

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
I asked Sunova riders James Casey and Kelly Margetts. Great guys indeed. They answered all my questions. Allwater is my choice at the moment because with that board I can paddle in flat, mild and small downwind. Most of our conditions are like that. I will order a 14x25’5. If I need a board for bigger downwind days then I will choose between Ocean or Unlimited.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 04:48:37 PM »
I agree the allwater is a better choice for what you do viatormundi. Let us know how the board goes?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill