Author Topic: How to build a deep tuttle to plate adater?  (Read 13964 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a deep tuttle to plate adater?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
Foiling has a lot of carbon being slung around on this forum!

Clean work, man.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
Nice work, but it's a lot of work. I'm spoiled, Chinook is ten miles from my house in Hood River. I suggest you get in tough with them and get a few deep Tuttle boxes from them in case this all doesn't work. Or just install that Waterrat box in your board and go foil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
Ever closer.

Made the base where the bolts for the tuttle box will tighten down to (24 layers of carbon, 1/4" total final thickness). 

Next up, filling/shaping/filleting of the core piece in prep for connecting the base and putting on the final outside layers.

I'm thinking it's going to be a pretty beefy piece and weight a bit too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:35:50 PM by sharksupper »

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
Wrapped the whole box with about 10-12ft of 50k carbon tow pulled tightly, then bagged.  New release fabric working well, hard to tell the tow was added!  Going to be one tough adapter!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »
Final stages, just going to be adding outside layers now, lots of them.  Everything came out square (my biggest fear is it wouldn't).

I started out trying to make the intermediate base pedestal out of foam, but found it was too weak to handle  bagging, so switched to balsa.  This balsa core piece is just to shape the base, in the end it will be routed out of the bottom.

Looks like I'll be foiling again soon   ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:27:37 PM by sharksupper »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »
Looking good. I like the fillet out of balsa. Is that underneath or just around the bottom perimeter?

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »
Under, a separate piece.  I needed something to transition from where the bolts for the tuttle box go and the base plate.  The balsa was strong enough to take the vacuum bag, the foam was too delicate, it would never have held everything square.

I was hoping to use the foam so I could pour in acetone to dissolve it afterward, but now I'll have to route out the balsa.  I put a piece of Mylar between the wood and the top half though, so once I route down to that I can have a nice clean surface for the bolt heads/washers... this will be more apparent as I finish up and take pics of it all.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 04:40:48 PM »
Did a tiny bit of sanding/filling of any holes and tight cracks where the carbon doesn't like to lay down into.

I cut several one piece layers of carbon with seams cut to relive tension in the carbon to fit the complex shape.  Currently under vacuum. 

I'm not sure how many layers I'm going to need.  I had about 6 layers of carbon for the shell of the box, then one layer of 50k carbon tow wrapped around the box, and today about 4 more layers of carbon all around.  I'll shoot for 2-3 more layup sessions, or about 15 more layers and probably call it good there.

Getting excited here!  Can't be more than two or three days out until it's finished, yay!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Wow. You're relentless. Nice work though. You could sell thise--I'd guess at $500 apiece you could make ten bucks an hour.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 05:41:51 PM »
Wow. You're relentless. Nice work though. You could sell thise--I'd guess at $500 apiece you could make ten bucks an hour.

yes, making this thing is how much it costs to appreciate buying one someone else makes   8)

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Here is that last layup result, cleaned up a bit and ready for the next layer today.  Rough shaped the base to about the outline I'm going to use.

I'm really not sure how much more layering to do.  I've talked myself out of going to 1/4" thick on the outside walls, down to 3/16", which is about 18 layers.  Means I have about 11 to go, maybe.

Weight right now, without being final outline shaped or routed out is around 600g, pretty beefy!

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »
Does this layer look strong enough?  :P

Seriously, I haven't done any composite work in a while.  I forgot that it's 90% preparation, 10% layup.  Each stage I have to make paper templates to be able to cut out the right shape carbon to be one piece.  In other words, 90% boring, 10% fun, sigh.   ???

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
Adding layers looks the same as the last pics.  I think I'm just going to sand the crap out of it now so I can make one last nice finishing layer.  Going to go for the twill look I think.  After that next layer It's time to final outline shape, drill the bolt holes for the plate mount, and route out the cavity where the tuttle bolts go.  I'm wanting to hurry at this point because it's so close to done, but it'd be a shame not to give it a nice finish after all this work.

sharksupper

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 02:11:45 PM »
Got off this project for a bit, no rush since I broke the FoilMount on my board and now waiting to install a REAL box in it.

Right, time to finish it!  It was all sanded down and shaped for it's final layer days ago, so that's these pics.  Right now it's in the bag with the final layer, a twill finish.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
Looks clean man.  That came together relatively quick, all things considered.

Post up the final shots when you can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal