Author Topic: Anyone tried the new Starboard Lima paddle?  (Read 7418 times)

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Laineet.fi - Keeps you One Wave Ahead
Anyone tried the new Starboard Lima paddle?
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:19:05 AM »
Has anybody had the change to try the new Starboard Lima paddle? What are your impressions?
How it might compare to their previous Bolt model?

Turtle
Starboard National Team Rider
2023 14'x23" Allstar Custom Carbon
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98
http://laineet.fi/

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Anyone tried the new Starboard Lima paddle?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
Turtle,  You're the 'National Team Rider'  ...you'd think, you would have had one before us plebs?  Interesting name anyway, nothing to do with HI.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
A good friend said it was the best paddle that he's ever used and used the word 'game changer'..

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »
Call Bart De Zwart at his Maui shop Kanaha Kai. He's been using the paddle since last summer, I believe he uses the Lima L 82sqi.
He can give you a good comparison vs the Bolt.

Judging by my recent modification of the QuickBlade V-Drive (shaped it mimicking the Lima outline), this paddle should be awesome.
in progress...

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:59:50 PM »
Turtle,  You're the 'National Team Rider'  ...you'd think, you would have had one before us plebs?  Interesting name anyway, nothing to do with HI.

Jim

I know..what the hell  ;) The problem is that i live in Finland. Not many high performance paddles are sold here and we usually have to order everything in advance. Now everything is frozen up here  ;D
Lima is also a Finnish word and means slime.
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »
Call Bart De Zwart at his Maui shop Kanaha Kai. He's been using the paddle since last summer, I believe he uses the Lima L 82sqi.
He can give you a good comparison vs the Bolt.

Judging by my recent modification of the QuickBlade V-Drive (shaped it mimicking the Lima outline), this paddle should be awesome.

Nice modification burchas. I need a new shaft to my Bolt and i'm thinking about getting Lima blade also. Have some shoulder and elbow issues and was thinking maybe the Lima would be little more forgiving in longer races. I have trifecta also which i like on longer races but when i get tired or the conditions are harsh it feels a little too technical to maintain a good stroke. I think it slips more easily than the Bolt.
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 05:32:54 AM »
Have some shoulder and elbow issues and was thinking maybe the Lima would be little more forgiving in longer races. I have trifecta also which i like on longer races but when i get tired or the conditions are harsh it feels a little too technical to maintain a good stroke. I think it slips more easily than the Bolt.

Yes, that's the reason I modified the V-Drive, to ease on the shoulders. My experience with the V Drive vs Trifecta is the same as yours with the Bolt.
I was trying to get the Lima few months back already. They just don't seem too keen on selling them.

The one I really like though for long distances is the ZRE, it's as powerful and smooth as the Trifecta but not as technical. Also have the option to control
How much roundness at the tip coming from the factory, no modification required, just in case you're not locked into the Starboard Eco-System.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:18 AM »
Have some shoulder and elbow issues and was thinking maybe the Lima would be little more forgiving in longer races. I have trifecta also which i like on longer races but when i get tired or the conditions are harsh it feels a little too technical to maintain a good stroke. I think it slips more easily than the Bolt.

Yes, that's the reason I modified the V-Drive, to ease on the shoulders. My experience with the V Drive vs Trifecta is the same as yours with the Bolt.
I was trying to get the Lima few months back already. They just don't seem too keen on selling them.

The one I really like though for long distances is the ZRE, it's as powerful and smooth as the Trifecta but not as technical. Also have the option to control
How much roundness at the tip coming from the factory, no modification required, just in case you're not locked into the Starboard Eco-System.

I can recommend the black project paddles. They are more idiot proof than the trifecta and the shaft/blade design can really be tailored to suit your physicality. I bought one in the winter and it’s quickly overtaken everything else I have - including the v drive (which until this point I felt was the best paddle out there).

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:55:17 AM »
The Kenalu Mana also provides a good catch but coupled with the Xtuf(S) shaft is easy on the shoulder and does not require 100% focus to keep a good stroke liek the Kohini does. The Black Project Hydra also works well with the same Xtuf(S) shaft.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
I can recommend the black project paddles. They are more idiot proof than the trifecta and the shaft/blade design can really be tailored to suit your physicality. I bought one in the winter and it’s quickly overtaken everything else I have - including the v drive (which until this point I felt was the best paddle out there).

Did you get the Hydro 88? Which shaft configuration?

I had extensive time with Black Project paddles in Maui, both Hydro and Surge. I was looking to buy one, I like buying paddles that offer different experience than what I already have.
The bottom line, they felt too redundant and similar to my existing stock.

For me, the Surge felt more like The Kenalu Mana just not as powerful and the Hydro more like the Trifecta just but harsh on the shoulders. I regret not getting their ergo T-Grip though,
by far the best T-Grip on the market IMO, it would replace my Mana T-Grip which I really hate.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »
I combined the Hydro 83 with the Kenalu Xtuf(S) shaft and any issue with the shoulders were gone. I had the BP Medium shaft and it was too hard on mine fro any long distance. The Hydra is somewhat deceiving like the Konihi was, in the sense that you do not really feel that there is any "resistance" but the gPS says that you are going at a good click. The Mana gives some more positive feedback after the catch.
Regarding handle, I have stopped using any Ergo T as I find that the angle created by the flat face is not playing nicely with my hand/fingers. I use either a full Ergo or a classic handle (prefer the later fro DW)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »

I had extensive time with Black Project paddles in Maui, both Hydro and Surge. I was looking to buy one, I like buying paddles that offer different experience than what I already have.

For me, the Surge felt more like The Kenalu Mana just not as powerful and the Hydro more like the Trifecta just but harsh on the shoulders. I regret not getting their ergo T-Grip though,
by far the best T-Grip on the market IMO, it would replace my Mana T-Grip which I really hate.

Hydro 88 with the stiffest shaft they have. The smaller face but mega stiff shaft really works for me.

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:29:33 PM »

I haven't asked my distributor yet what is the situation with Lima? Don't know have they ordered any in stock.
Nice to hear that our findings match up with Trifecta. I'm of course interested firstly on starboard paddles but if i find better suited paddle for me from another manufacturer it is no problem. Will have to check the ZRE.
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98

Turtle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 09:40:39 PM »

Hydro 88 with the stiffest shaft they have. The smaller face but mega stiff shaft really works for me.

There is one Hydro paddle in Finland and i got a quick test on it last summer. It might have been with small blade. It was slippery in a good way but with more constant power than trifecta. It was too long for me so it felt a little too heavy for me. Might be quite close to what i'm looking for.
Starboard Lima M
Starboard Bolt L
Quickblade Trifecta 98

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
I need a new shaft to my Bolt and i'm thinking about getting Lima blade also.

I hope you can land a Lima soon. Sure would like to hear your report.

In case you couldn't... Just got my modified V-Drive retrofitted to my new ZRE bullet proof
and super flexi texturized shaft. Now I can interchange the blades. I also got my ZRE reshaped
for low impact catch, super smooth now especially with the new shaft.

So while you need a new shaft for your Bolt, you could have the same shaft fit both the Bolt and
the ZRE on the same shaft. The shaft feel very comfortable and the texture is fantastic  (see pics).
Don't have to stick grip tape or wax on shafts any longer.

The nice thing about it now is, with the long (20in) adjustable grip and all hot glues parts, it is now an
actual travel paddle. I'm pretty sure I can take it with me on the plain.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:36:27 PM by burchas »
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard