Author Topic: Ever paddled the U.S. National Whitewater Center?  (Read 1259 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ever paddled the U.S. National Whitewater Center?
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:24 AM »
I'm visiting family in Matthews NC and they are telling me you can "surf" at the U.S. National Whitewater Center.  I've shot some class 3 and 4 rapids in a kayak, went away with 12 stitches, but I have never river SUP'd.  Anyone have any intel on the place? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ever paddled the U.S. National Whitewater Center?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
Yes! The wife and I  found it nearby when we went to NC. about 10 years ago for some NASCAR. I had a kiter friend who knew we would be in NC tell me about it so we looked it up. It was just 5 or 10 mins. from where we were staying.
Amazing facility in my opinion. If your into outdoors it’s got it all. Some of the things we did were biking,zip line, rock climbing, walking on ropes high in the trees, and of course white water rafting. The time we were there was around October and it wasn’t crowded at all. I’m sure the summers are. Can produce class 5 rapids if I remember right. We went in 6 man rafts and really enjoyed the rush. There are different options, some I saw kayakers were training on. Never saw a sup although it wouldn’t surprise me if you could. Check it out! We really enjoyed it. Check online for hours of operation to be sure if open. Hope this helps. ::)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ever paddled the U.S. National Whitewater Center?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Went there today and they didn't have the water running.  Seems like the rapids part of it must be closed for the winter.  Bummer.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal