Author Topic: Best Board for crossing the San Pedro Channel - not racing  (Read 6632 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Best Board for crossing the San Pedro Channel - not racing
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
If you talk to Joe Bark he may have a Vapor laying around the shop. Could be the ideal Catalina crossing board. Or he can make a custom one for you.

And then maybe you run into Larry the Whale when you do the crossing...

https://paddlewithpurpose.wordpress.com/larry-the-whale-march-2010-paddle-for-breast-cancer/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:41:41 AM by SaMoSUP »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 08:07:14 AM »
I think you're overthinking board choice a bit......any 14"+ plus board that you are comfortable paddling will do just fine. For years we had many folks doing the CCBC on standard length SUPs. I've done that distance many times on my old 12-6 starboard cruiser. We've had multiple folks do it on a 10'er.... :o. It's really more about having the engine in shape than the board. 14'+ just makes it easier. Don't worry too much about speed since you aren't racing...go for stability and comfort IMNSHO.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »
It's deep water out there and you're unprotected from the big Pacific swells. Don't even have to have wind to get ugly out there. You want something stable.

https://youtu.be/bytmzpedtgQ
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
Any strong opinions about the suitability of the the SIC RS, infinity Blackfish or Naish Maliko to this crossing?

Thanks

Having ridden all 3 boards in various conditions, my preference would be the Naish as the most comfortable board for the Job.
the 2018 Model is very refined and due to its low volume compared to the other 2 will be more suitable if wind starts to pick-up
in progress...

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
thanks guys

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal