Author Topic: Don't assume you'll be seen.  (Read 11561 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Don't assume you'll be seen.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »
Great that they were not injured. And they made a pretty good public service message out of the ordeal. 

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
 Never let go of his rod either.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »
Figures it's Oregon.   In Portland, our biggest problem is getting hit intentionally by the tourist boat.  Same captain has been suspended twice by Coast Guard, first for running boats over at 2015 Red Bull Flugtag event, then recently when he cut through a crew race and a 14-year-old coxswain managed to get her crew out of the way:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/11/portland_spirit_didnt_have_rig.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihFYvEyGy4

http://www.koin.com/news/portland-spirit-captain-suspended-for-flugtag-incident/870052926
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:54:42 PM by pdxmike »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
I almost had that happen to me. I was a 1/2 a mile out in the ocean on a beautiful 'weekend' day. I see this huge yacht turning slowly sort of in my direction. I'm thinking "are those people aiming for me. I could see the path they were on and knew they didn't or couldn't see me. I paddled on a 90 degree angle just to get out of their way. When they got up on me I was waving my paddle in the air. They never saw me, but just missed me by 20 feet or so. It was a good 60' + 3-story luxury yacht. I was screaming at them pissed. As they passed I could see Great Grandpa in his late 80's or 90's was at the helm, seated in a semi-conscious state of mind. The whole family was on the yacht in their blue double breasted jackets and blazers. Just starring at me with this blank look. Seeing it was Great grandpa, probably out for one of his last cruises as captain, I let it go.
Really not much I could do other than be pissed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:10:01 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:58:57 PM »
i was jet skiing in south beach while at a bachelor party a few years ago---the ski rentals were confined to a rectangle of space marked clearly with bright orange buoys--rental guys said no boats allowed and all safe if one stays inside the buoys

im doing slides and doughnuts well within the "protected" zone, and I come out of a spin and look up, to see a full-blown offshore racing boat barrelling toward me--i attemt to cut away from the line the boat was on, realize I am not going to make it, jump off the ski and try to go deep under the boat--scared shitless that the vest would float me up into the path of the boat--i made it under the boat, but the boat clipped the right rear quarter of the ski, completely pulverizing it--guys in the boat stopped, asked if i was ok--i said yeah but wtf are you doing in here with the boat??--they looked at one another and took off--meanwhile the ski starts to sink and like 50 people come flying out from, the beach, relieved that I had not been killed--power boats are very dangerous--people who drive em are often too

went back to the beach and started drinking early that day! certainly a top 5 near death moment in my short life
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
Figures it's Oregon.   In Portland, our biggest problem is getting hit intentionally by the tourist boat.  Same captain has been suspended twice by Coast Guard, first for running boats over at 2015 Red Bull Flugtag event, then recently when he cut through a crew race and a 14-year-old coxswain managed to get her crew out of the way:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/11/portland_spirit_didnt_have_rig.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihFYvEyGy4

http://www.koin.com/news/portland-spirit-captain-suspended-for-flugtag-incident/870052926

That guy's license should be permanently revoked.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 04:08:06 AM »
Good title.

-i attempt to cut away from the line the boat was on, realize I am not going to make it, jump off the ski and try to go deep under the boat--scared shitless that the vest would float me up into the path of the boat--i made it under the boat,

Nicely done!

I never assume I’ll be seen and am prepared to bail.  I’m always ready to dive deep and try get the timing right. I’m prepared for that and have a PlanB and C mentally rehearsed but I haven’t had to do it.

Wearing bright colors is an excellent idea.
I don’t always wear them. Instead I fully assume I won’t be seen and remain vigilant and nimble. I do enough urban biking that I’m completely comfortable by bike at night with dark clothes and little or no lights.

The key is to assume you won’t be seen. Bright colors are good but don’t count on them.

Wearing a leash is an excellent idea.
I always do. It’s good to make it a habit to always wear one. In summer I SUP in waters with a crazy amount of pleasure motor boaters. Many of which have much more money than common sense. Especially boating sense. I’m always prepared to undo my leash and prepare to time a dive if a boat comes on me.

Wear a leash but always be prepared to emergency release lightening fast.

Wearing a pfd is sometimes a good idea.
I do for winter DW’s but don’t for summer days where the risk is motorboats. Reason being if one needs to dive deep. Instead I wear an inflatable restube which is acceptable by law officers and doesn’t get in my way.

Eastbound: I’m impressed you managed to get deep enough with a pfd on. That’s extra work.

A good friend of mine had his foot cut off by a boat prop. Don’t underestimate the danger of those things. Especially the idiocy of some drivers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:18:27 AM by yugi »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
Good title.

-i attempt to cut away from the line the boat was on, realize I am not going to make it, jump off the ski and try to go deep under the boat--scared shitless that the vest would float me up into the path of the boat--i made it under the boat,

Nicely done!

I never assume I’ll be seen and am prepared to bail.  I’m always ready to dive deep and try get the timing right. I’m prepared for that and have a PlanB and C mentally rehearsed but I haven’t had to do it.

Wearing bright colors is an excellent idea.
I don’t always wear them. Instead I fully assume I won’t be seen and remain vigilant and nimble. I do enough urban biking that I’m completely comfortable by bike at night with dark clothes and little or no lights.

The key is to assume you won’t be seen. Bright colors are good but don’t count on them.

Wearing a leash is an excellent idea.
I always do. It’s good to make it a habit to always wear one. In summer I SUP in waters with a crazy amount of pleasure motor boaters. Many of which have much more money than common sense. Especially boating sense. I’m always prepared to undo my leash and prepare to time a dive if a boat comes on me.

Wear a leash but always be prepared to emergency release lightening fast.

Wearing a pfd is sometimes a good idea.
I do for winter DW’s but don’t for summer days where the risk is motorboats. Reason being if one needs to dive deep. Instead I wear an inflatable restube which is acceptable by law officers and doesn’t get in my way.

Eastbound: I’m impressed you managed to get deep enough with a pfd on. That’s extra work.

A good friend of mine had his foot cut off by a boat prop. Don’t underestimate the danger of those things. Especially the idiocy of some drivers.

Yeah, foam PFD's are a mixed blessing here.  Great for saving your life, unless your life depends on getting as deep as possible very quickly. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal