Author Topic: Which is the most gentle paddle on your body and joints?  (Read 5931 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Which is the most gentle paddle on your body and joints?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
Have two setups. Years ago I was paddling a Werner...stiff shaft, big blade...loved the paddle because I had started with a much heavier wooden one but it was very unforgiving. We went out to visit Bill in Maui and I was a bit worried because we were of course planning lots of water time and my shoulders had been really bothering me leading up to it (ached so bad it was keeping me awake nights). The spare paddle Bill gave me to use was a fiberglass Jimmy Lewis. I couldn't believe how soft it felt...springy in fact....by the end of the week despite paddling a minimum of 6 hours/day my shoulders were fine. I was sold on flex when my shoulders hurt. I still prefer a stiffer shaft most of the time but whenever my shoulders start feeling it I switch to a smaller blade and more flexible shaft (xTuf(s) ) now and the pain goes away.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal