Author Topic: Any opportunities to try foiling in New England  (Read 8635 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Any opportunities to try foiling in New England
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
I love the idea of foiling....but I'm not really sure I'll be able to do it. It took me a long time to stand on a SUP for longer than 5 minutes when I started. The idea of buying a foil only to find I can't do it doesn't make much sense so I'm going to be looking for chances to try it this spring/summer. If anyone hears of opportunities to demo this year please give me a yell.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Any opportunities to try foiling in New England
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
I was just talking about that at Cinnamon Rainbows yesterday.  They might be getting a Naish foil set up at some point but they're not sure if it will be available for demo. They might have to sell a few first to see if it's worth stocking them.

A friend of mine is thinking of getting a foil. He's not sure what brand he wants yet. As soon as he gets it, he's going to let me try it.

I really like the new Blue Planet boards and foils. It's the best board design I've seen yet. I can feel the temptation to buy one starting to build. If I had some extra cash I would order one today.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Bob I think the issue with a demo is board and foil size as it will vary based on rider size and abilities. Not sure a shop would have the variety needed for a solid demo foil program.

I am looking into one, just not sure if from blue planet or kings.

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:41 AM »
follow Zane Schweitzer on Instagram.  he had a demo tour that looped the east coast with a foil last late summer/fall.

It was pretty poorly attended because it wasn't promoted well enough- i would have love to have gone and only heard about it after the fact- and he was literally in my town.

Hoping he and Starboard do it again this year.  I am in the same boat- not ready to commit to a foil- as i have no experience (kiteboard wake etc.) and they are a junk-load of money.....but have 2 donor boards I could easily put a tuttle box in and that's tempting me.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
Those are the problems....I know nothing but would think that foils might be even more personal than boards. I'm pretty sure I'll need the 747 jumbojet version. I have yet to see anyone my size on a foil.....a few that are close but not many mucho extra grande foilers out there that I can see.

I follow Zane on FB but never heard about it.  Yeah the board isn't an issue here either...my 9-0 that needs so much work would be good for mounting it on to start....I have to rebuild the tail anyway.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:02:13 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
I have a feeling the used market for foils is good enough that you could probably buy one and sell it if you decide it isn't for you.  I haven't seen a used foil for sale anywhere.  That might also be an indication that people are getting addicted to it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
You NE guys go together and buy a big Liquid Force wing and split it. Ride it a bit, drag it behind the boat, sell it to one of the crew who likes it if it works out. If not, trust me, it'll be easy to sell it on here. They are smaller to ship than a board too so no hassles.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
You NE guys should keep in mind that there is a world class foil builder in Rhode Island. Delta Hydrofoil. Gerorge Hradil builds a very high end kite racing foil and just made his second surf foil design. A couple very well known watermen have been riding this foil with stellar reviews. Avoid the mass produced aluminum foils.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdNbiq2Fmvj/?taken-by=deltasurffoils
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:58:18 AM by cnski »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
Now there you go. Local!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
Good idea to spread the cost and I'll definitely take  look at Delta.
Bob

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
Not sure how you are with composite construction, but making your own foil is not out of the question.  I've made my own foils for the past year and am currently on number 4.  Different foils for different waves and types of waves,  Ocean, river, wake, whatever you prefer.  Go to the Diy sup foil section in these forums. I'm up here in Maine and would share all info regarding wing shapes, sizes wing profiles and techniques.  Cheapest way would be to purchase mast and fuselage and create your own wings.   I can make front wings for 30-50 dollars.  rear wings 20 dollars.  Yes they take time but the satisfaction more than makes up for it. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:49 PM »
Yeah, I suggest buying used if possible, and the wing is larger enough (looked at Delta's site before, and their "surf" foil is undersized for us "747" pilots)...because I really don't think a one or even two day demo session is going to give you the feeling that foiling is something you can see yourself being able to do. At least I didn't, but then again, I was also on a "surf" foil that was simply a rebranded, undersized windsurf foil.

Even when I finally got the Iwa/M200 foil, my first couple of sessions were frustrating, but for a different reason. Now I had enough lift, but one hell of a time controlling all the new lift, and was all over the place with board flying incredibly...but unfortunately, w/o me on it most of the times when it did.  :o :-[

IMO, it takes at least a good 3-4 sessions to get the feeling that you didn't make a bad decision thinking you could do something that now seemed beyond your capabilities, but by that 3 or 4, things start making sense.

Although all of my early stuff was before watching Blue Planet's foil "Safety Video", and that in itself takes off a couple session of the learn curve in itself...also Robert's, and Sam's other videos are great also.

With the right equipment, a little patience, and a bottle of Advil...I think you're really enjoy it stoneaxe, and be flying in no time. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »
I've thought about it for a minute or two (getting into foil) here and there.  Two quick cons I continue to come back to are 1) the beaches I SUP surf are really pretty swallow and given I'm more of a small wave guy that means I tend to finish rides often times in just a couple of feet of water - of course the solution is to go out on better (bigger) wave days which then means considerably more traffic, and 2) I still what to progress A LOT more on my SUP's - I'm still super stoked with the boards I have and feel I still benefit from little data points on each outing.

As far as the swallow water comment, I swing by the beach nearly everyday and since last September I've seem one father and son trying to foil....without much success. 

So I wonder, is there a shorter mast avail for swallow waters that would still be considered "beginner mode"? 
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 08:22:52 AM »
I think everyone assumes their beach is going to be too shallow--mostly because of the way they surf it. You don't need a pitching wave to take off on a foil, though it's the easiest. Well, actually whitewater is easiest--almost automatic. And you don't need to be in a break, so crowds are not an issue. I've foiled in shallow, rocky areas that require a lot of care paddling out, but not much worry flying in. For one thing you can see the shallow bits and avoid them, and if you're up and flying, you're only using ten inches of water. I have, however, run into stuff in places I thought were clear. My front wings are a bit beat up. GoFoils are a lot tougher than people expect. Ka'a Point is probably the most popular foil spot on Maui, and it's shallow and rocky. The places that traditionally get surfed are about a half mile further in than the reef people foil from. Once you're up on the foil the entire half mile or so is playground. A traditional surfboard can't do anything with that expanse of lagoon, but once up on a foil it's all usable.

I'm tempted to bring my foil gear in June when I come east for my nephew's wedding. But its a lot of crap to haul, and I don't have a good board bag for my Kalama board. The tail got cracked on the flight from Maui to Portland in the bag I have. I've got an Iwa, 200, and 280. The 280 will lift about anyone. Foil lift is exponential with speed, so the big weight issue is just getting up in the first place. Once you're flying you don't need as much. The 280 is too much wing for me on a wave, in fact, the 200 is a bit much on steeper faces. I overfoil quite a bit near the end of turns, where speed is highest. It's controllable as long as I react quickly, but with the Iwa it doesn't happen.

I'm pretty sure you could learn to foil, Bob, but I'm not certain it's a sport you should pursue with intermittent balance issues and vertigo. You have to be clear-headed enough to bail effectively. And it won't take just a few days--for most people it takes weeks before you get the board to fly with you on it, and then a lot more sessions to be anything but a passenger. There are exceptions. People who are good snowboarders seem to catch on very fast, and shortboarders get going and have good control faster than longboarders or SUPers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 07:20:04 PM »
Old waterskiers don't matter... >:(

I haven't even been on a board lately never mind a foil.... :P
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal