Author Topic: Soloshot 3 Successes?  (Read 29537 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soloshot 3 Successes?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:39 AM »
Soloshot3 success continues for me with great results on both medium and tight (Water) settings...last couple of days have been really nice and fun size.  The vid also continues to be an invaluable learning tool.  VERY happy with the results and the info/insight I'm gleaming from it!!!  I've not updated my software since purchase late March as it appears to continue to work just fine.

Hope other users are getting some nice pics' vid as well!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Has anyone gone out and filmed two people in one session (with two people wearing tags).  I think it films the person moving the fastest right?
50 years old, 5'7", 145 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:57 AM »
Surf-A:  My understanding is that you can direct the camera to follow either the fastest or closest, or shift randomly between the two.  I'm thinking that on "Medium" setting I'll be able to catch a couple of friends surfing near me.  Gonna give the latter a try soon.

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2018, 07:16:43 PM »
Workarounds for my Thailand trip:

Sessions "Kook Hat Cam" died day one... so that's out.

SoloShot3 hasn't followed one wave this month, so I use it on "Manual" only now....
zoom to a fixed position and hope for the best.
I need to have SOMETHING from a month in Thailand. :-[

Oddly enough, the SoloShot3 has been 100% perfect following flat-water paddles.... even at considerable distance. I don't think I was as far away as the "dry reef" left.... but pretty good distance from the camera.

The pics and vids the the SoloShot gets are awesome.... I just wish it would actually work for surfing.

Bottom line:
4 month trip to Florida, with pretty good surf.
1 month in Thailand.... surfed everyday but 2
Set up Soloshot EVERY session
Exactly 2 waves posted since I got the camera in November.....
probably close to 75 sessions filmed.

I have gotten some fun vids from SoloShot as a "fixed" camera.... but wasted too many decent sessions before I gave up on the "follow me" part.

The other day I carried the Soloshot out and set it up on a big rock, close to the reef break.... but waves were splashing near the camera, so I took it back to safety and set up as "fixed cam"

The trip is so awesome, and my trust LUMX TS-3 is taking 1,000's of beautiful pictures.
I am waiting till the end of the trip to post, so I can use the best shots.

The home of Sunova is a totally amazing place and I am loving this trip :)

I'll post some of the "fixed" vids soon.

Some screen grabs to show the distances I am talking about and some of the results.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:11 PM »
Been working strong for me since day one, which was in October 2017.  I was in the first hundred pre-orders that finally shipped.  Coupla updates were not so great but the one in early April has been strong, for me anyways. This video is from December 18th, the day I injured my kidney. I had the tripod setup on a second floor deck pretty far from the lineup. First time I tried that pov. But framing was set to medium. My last three or four go outs I've been using only tight. At first it looks like medium framing but after about 10 mins the camera zooms in great.

SS3_elevated_pulledback by surfercook, on Flickr

Best way to get good tracking is from an elevated and pulled back pov. It's been working great for me for a while now. Tight, center, and water mode seem to be the right settings for success. Haven't setup on a deck again though. Been just going to the top of the dunes.

vlcsnap-2018-04-21-18h17m15s280 by surfercook, on Flickr

These images are right off the SS3 from tonight.
vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h26m29s568 by surfercook,

vlcsnap-2018-05-23-21h12m13s469 by surfercook, on Flickr

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:35:09 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

mrspeedy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Best inflatable paddle board
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »
Hi. I'm watching the FB groups as well, I bought the Soloshot 1 off eBay, and it does ok, it's just the camera I use with it isn't the greatest. I had a chance to test the Soloshot 3 a bit.  I got some great results. 5 sessions in a row with very good tracking, focus and keeping centered in the frame.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2018, 04:30:52 AM »
I was almost ready to start a new topic called Soloshot 3 UNsuccesses-complete bad luck but I’ll stick to this thread.

I’ll get right to the bad luck part.  Got my SS3 last week.  Anxious to get video footage to include in a review of my new JL Super Frank.  Anyway, I was surfing for 30 minutes or so checking often to try and see if I was being tracked but I couldn’t see well enough to tell (ss3 lost me after my first wave).  At one point I looked and the tripod gotten blown over (wind had started to pickup more as I was surfing), I immediately paddled in to see the ss3 was face/lenses first in the sand.  When I picked it up I noticed sand in between the space where the Optic65 would retract.  I gently started tapping the camera and some sand fell out but not all.  I tried to setup calibration again but the display showed a picture of the camera on the base and a message asking me to “mount the camera”, I did so but got the same message.  I gave up and went surfing.

When I got home I slid an index card in the space to remove the sand and it appears I got all of it out, probably not though.  Ss3 continues to give the mount camera message.

I emailed soloshot support then last Monday decided to call.  Nice woman advised me to try resetting the camera to default settings, I was at work so couldn’t try this right away, didn’t work.  In the meantime, she sent me an email giving me the same instructions plus adding Soloshot does NOT have a repair department (UH OH REALLY!).  I called again advising the resetting to default did not work.  She said I should ship it back and the “engineers” will take a look.  She said she’d email where to send the camera.  In the email she added if they could not fix the camera due to components being damage in the fall “an open box camera is $349 a base is $249.”

Note, I viewed the footage and the camera was blown over but it didn’t appear to be a violent fall.  There is not visible damage.  At this point, I don’t want to buy replacement camera or base and have decided if the camera cannot be fixed And the base is fine I’d ask for a refund on the base and tag and accept the camera breaking is my fault.  Camera was shipped due to arrive at Soloshot on Tuesday.  Stay tuned.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »
At one point I looked and the tripod gotten blown over (wind had started to pickup more as I was surfing)
That stinks! I've had every one of my SSs (1, 2, and 3) blow over and luckily they never have been damaged. good luck w/your recovery efforts. I sincerely hope you get a working SS3. They are amazing devices.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »
LB,

That totally sucks. On your tripod there is a little silver hook that extends down. It is for attaching a weight to. I do do this when it is windy, usually my pack sack and have it just touching the ground so that it does not sway. The camera and base make the setup top heavy when on a tall tripod. Hopefully you will get your Camera back and up and running soon. Good luck.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
LB,

That totally sucks. On your tripod there is a little silver hook that extends down. It is for attaching a weight to. I do do this when it is windy, usually my pack sack and have it just touching the ground so that it does not sway. The camera and base make the setup top heavy when on a tall tripod. Hopefully you will get your Camera back and up and running soon. Good luck.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  Actually I was using my daughters field hockey bag as a camera/tripod bag and I hung that on the hook.  I was wondering if the bag acted as a sail helping it to blow over but I’m not sure.

Ken
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Huge fail, this thing is beyond frustrating, I won't get into it, but basically I've gotten 1 useable session (kiteboarding surprisingly enough in like 20 knots) in 6 months of use. It either doesn't record video or doesn't track right, or the camera shows disconnected, WTF. I'm going back to a GoPro, and/or setting it up for a manual view like Creek did.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
Huge fail, this thing is beyond frustrating
Did you open a support ticket? SS support will help get you get sorted...hopefully. VERY important to let them know yours is consistently failing. They've helped me trouble shoot every issue every time since the original SS release in 2012.
GL, APPST. Breaks my heart to hear about others frustration w/this amazing robo-cam.

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
Soloshot could not fix my camera after it got blown over into sand, they said sand got in the lense.  This really baffles me that the manufacturer couldn’t take the camera apart and remove the sand.  Anyway, they said I’d have to purchase a new camera only as the base and tag are functioning properly.  I said no thanks so I have to eat the cost of the camera and Soloshot will reimburse me for the base and tag.
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:54 PM »
LB, that does suck.

I'm not surprised though, SS strikes me as a software company that buys hardware from overseas. I'll bet no one there can use a screwdriver.

I'd take matters into my own hands if they are voiding your warranty anyway, crack it open and clean it up. Video tape it if you do and show others how to do it. (Including the company)

Good luck man.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM