Author Topic: What are you thankful for?  (Read 4278 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are you thankful for?
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »
What are you thankful for? 

Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.  Get out and paddle sometime this holiday!

-Mike
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are you thankful for?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
My Life.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:05:14 PM »
Family and Friends!
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:27 PM »
life, good friends, a better wife than I deserve, and a lot of fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
1) My wife. Come this Dec 1st, we'll have been married for 44 years. Best thing that ever happened to me and the best decision I ever made in my lifetime.  ;)

2) My life. I had a severe medical problem when I was 41 years old and I should have died from it; but somehow, what didn't kill me, made me stronger health wise. After that episode in my life, I never took my health or my life for granted since that time.

3) The ones who mentored me when I was a young child (my parents) and those special people I met as a young adult. Many of them are no longer alive, but the memories of them and what they taught and instilled in me, live through me.

4) My extended family. I never had any brothers or sisters. I was an only child. My dad passed away in the year 2000 and my mom passed away in the year 2011. My wife's sister (my sister-in-law) my brother-in-law, all of my wife's cousins, aunts, uncles, her two nieces have become my extended family.

5) My friends. One of my best friends is one who I went to high school with. And he ended up marrying my wife's sister and is still married to her today (my brother-in-law). They've been married 41 years.

6) Medical science and the skilled surgeons who put me back together quite a few times during my lifetime. One of my physicians 26 years ago said "I was living on borrowed time". So I make everyday a good day. And some days, I can turn a good day into a great day. :) What a rush that is for me!  8)

7) Pet companions. During the course of 44 years of married life, I'm thankful I had a kind and compassionate wife who loved feline cats as much as I do. We gave four homeless cats a great forever home and a fantastic life with us. Those cats showed my wife and me what unconditional love is and we reciprocated in kind towards all of them. And I don't mind being a "pet slave" to Tucker, our present male orange tiger striped tabby cat. I thought Tucker would bond with my wife, but he bonded with me so I'm his "favorite person".  ;D

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:29 AM »
I'm thankful for my family and friends who put up with my endless nonsense.

Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:11:58 AM by Bean »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
The number one thing that I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving is simply being alive...

Thankful for life...yup...and, now so...more than ever, after having survived the turkey shoot massacre in Las Vegas October 1st that took 58 folks at our concert and wounding hundreds more...I take absolutely nothing for granted...

I've dodged bullets before...figuratively and literally...but, nothing like something like this can help put it all in perspective and add to the life experience wisdom base...;-)

Truly stoked for life...and, thankful for the simple things in life...like walking on the beach with our Chocolate Labs...Miranda and Molly...and, taking in an awesome fall sunset holding hands with my soul mate, Deb...in what we call the "magic hour" here in what's called the "Good Land"...with a sliver of a new moon in the early evening sky as our "lucky stars" start to come out...sitting around a fire and toasting life...cheers!

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

Sorry to hear you experienced that SUP Sports. 

I am thankful for wife, family, for great friends and random nice people. For waves. For those small moments where you feel that extreme bursts of happiness and excitement. I am thankful for adrenaline. For learning new things. For my cat and for new experiences.
..and I am thankful for scoring a new Naish board for $600. Not sure how I will be able to get it into the house yet. LOL.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
Aloha tautologies,
I appreciate the sentiment...we hear it all of the time...

I'm hear to tell you and anyone else that wants to gain some understanding about it...the thing is...just because my wife and I experienced this unfathomable tragedy directly...doesn't mean that all of humanity didn't experience it indirectly...either way it has consequences...just as 9/11 was a game changer for the planet...we are still experiencing it's reverberations...this Las Vegas mass shooting tragedy will cause reverberations for our lifetime and beyond...churches...schools...ball games...concerts...bike paths...nothing is off limits...

It also shows the level of acquisition of military grade weaponry in the hands of civilians...and, the carnage that can ensue in a short period of time...
It's not just the guns...but, there is a direct correlation...after studying up on it...there's about a snowflake's chance in hell of any change in legislation...and, if it isn't guns...it's gonna be fertilizer truck bombs...drones and dirty bombs...and on and on ad infinitum...

Evil thinks outside the box...soft targets are abundant...false sense of security blankets us...etc...

A silver lining in it is that we have met some amazing folks in the aftermath...and, have seen and been a part of the best that humanity has to offer...
There are several support groups that have sprung up with thousands and thousands of active participants...the abundance of random acts of kindness are heartwarming...it's pretty amazing really...huge sense of family that I haven't seen in any online community over the last 25 years or so that they have existed and I have participated in...

Enjoy everyday to the max...stoked for life...

Happy Thanksgiving
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:59:22 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
Being vertical, relatively healthy, and having some means, since as you get older the thump of fellow travelers dropping dead starts to resound.

Spoke with an old friend who can't sell his business, because the landlord is on the brink, and may shutter the building his facility is in.  Also, nerve and carpal tunnel problems keeping him from doing his job.  He should have bailed out years ago. Now, negligible business equity and body crapping out.

Not too grateful for my annual Thanksgiving severe, cold, that seems to show up like clock work every year and signals the light cycle dropping my immune system into the crapper.

Maybe I can get better and get some of those waves that are showing up in Santa Cruz.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
I'm in the standupzone ;)

dklavoie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
A roof over my head, regular meals, health, and that I can hear the whistle buoys at night. Mostly the whistle buoys!
d
14x24 NSP Puma
Bark Vapor
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 90
QuickBlade V-Drive 91
QuickBlade Trifecta 86
VMG Mako 37
Black Project Maliko
Makani Kawa
Fueled by meat pastries

Supshaper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »
I am thankful that God has given me this amazing life and that at 60 years of age still love to surf like a kid
"Surfboards are in an infinite and endless evolution.  Just when the shaper thinks he has built the perfect board, he thinks of something different to make it better."  GL

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »
Basically for everything. :)

I have always been aware how extremely fortunate I have been to live on this earth, in this time, at a place on earth that has given me the luxury of enjoying life on my terms.... free from struggle and fear for basic survival.

For my 2 daughters. Never a bad day with these gifts kindness and goodness.

For SUP and the richness it has bestowed upon me and all my balance buddies.

Through the eons of time,  precious few have been blessed with the joy and peace that we have come to expect everyday...

that my "big" worries, are trivial to the vast majority of humans that have walked this earth.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
My wife and kids.  Family and friends.  Health +++

As well somebody nice enough to hand into guest services my season's pass.  Good karma to that person for sure.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard