Author Topic: Can the Takuma foil be pumped back out to catch the next wave like the Go Foils?  (Read 10321 times)

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHKYaRsAM4

Slingshot foil designer has some interesting thoughts on the weight of the foil and pumping. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Yet another fine designer and builder demonstrates a historical understanding of physics--something from before Galileo.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Jeff Clark has been flying one hand on the paddle for the last 6 months.  I thought it was a bit 'odd' but then he was making fun of me for using my paddle to pump.

That's the same position. Lazy chicken--wings down about 45 degrees. I flap when I pump like that too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Yet another fine designer and builder demonstrates a historical understanding of physics--something from before Galileo.

Yes: "Thak say Fire make lift."

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I like how the heavier thing rolling downhill will be faster. Obviously an Aristotle fan.

I try not to be too snide, there's a lot of value in practical knowledge, but when the guys that were tossing spitballs in physics class start explaining how things work my back fillings start aching.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:17:24 PM by PonoBill »

Dialy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Although it is probably easier on a shorter board, it is apparently possible to pump back out on a longer one as demonstrated in this video by Keahi de Aboitiz on a 8’5” JP Australia custom gun: https://youtu.be/3WzVKy-tP8M

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
You need a lower moment of inertia.

The solution is NOT necessarily Short, it is having a low moment of inertia.  Inertia is what it takes to GET THE BALL ROLLING.  In this case you want the center of mass closest to the axis of rotation.  Wiggling a long board is A LOT harder because you are constantly Starting and Stopping the "Ball Rolling."  Surfer Dude / Designers call this Swing Weight.

Inertia is a function of Mass and Length^2.  If the board is light in the ends great!  Otherwise every Inch is Exponentially more Painful when it comes to pumping.

Keahi (Is barely pumping out to sea and with the help of a paddle) is using a traditional short board shape.  It is more akin to the Orange Globe (Tucked in edges) than my L41 shape which is similar to the Blue Cylinder (Slab).  This explains some of the difference.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:41:46 AM by Beasho »

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
   In this case you want the center of mass closest to the axis of rotation.   

Does this explain why my 7'10" Takuma board with Takuma foil pumped better with a shorter mast (18 inch)?  It felt like I had a better angle, or better leverage, on the foil when pumping.

AlexFun

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Hi,
what do you Takuma owners generally think about the V100 Foil?
Does it work for a 90kg beginner or should i better look for other brands?
Alex

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
It was easy to learn on because its slow.  It turns very smoothly.  I weigh  180 lbs.

It doesn't pump as well as Go Foil and it is not as tough.  I bent three masts since I got mine in August.  The first because I did not know to be careful.  The second mast bent when I was trying to get out on a big day.  I got caught where the waves were dumping on a shallow sand bar and the force of the 7' 10 " Sup was too much for the mast.  The third time was also  from the board bouncing in the whitewater rolling in the surf.  Replacement masts are $105 ( Naish) or $169 (Takuma).  I decided to buy a Go Foil which is tougher.
Usually it is okay after rolling in the surf but it only takes one bad time and you are out another 100 dollar mast.
I also kept chipping the corners of the front wing, but that did not seem to make any difference at all to the performance.

I would suggest just get a Go Foil, but you can have my Takuma for 300 plus shipping. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
GoFoils have proven to be remarkably tough. I've run mine into rocks numerous times and lost control of the board three times in shorebreak, rolling it up onto the beach while I floundered along behind it. I expected major damage but the worst is some paint scratches.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
I've been on both the Takuma and the Go Foil (Iwa and M200). The Iwa, and the M200 fly me, while the V100 only had enough lift for takeoff if I got way behind the mast, but not enough to hold/carry me through sustained flight....I weigh in at 93 kg bare ass neked, and flying (attempting to fly) all in full wetsuit.

+1 on the durability of the Go Foil. Got the M200 yanked outta my hands by a wave yesterday, having it bang up onto the rocks on the beach...just a few minor paint scratches that I was thankful and amazed at, by how quick, and how hard it hit them. Phew!  ???
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal