Author Topic: SIC RS 2018  (Read 13745 times)

kelvinpumba

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC RS 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
Has anyone tested. How does board compared to say the maliko or evo in terms of stability. Speed and handling chop

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 07:30:17 PM »
I tried out the 14x23 RS briefly yesterday. It was lightweight, fast, and pretty tippy. Similarly tippy to a 14x23 Starboard Allstar or my 14x23 Riviera RP. Seemed like it would be faster in flat water than either of those boards, though, with the light weight, flattish rocker line, and flat/concave under the nose to provide semi-planing lift at higher speeds. The lowness of the rails was noticeable. Less volume in the nose and tail than the AllStar, I think, for better or worse.

Leash insert seemed awkwardly far forward of the tail- easy to step on a coil of the leash when stepping back for a buoy turn, though that might be ameliorated by attaching to the leash to your waist.

The nose parted/floated over small chop efficiently. I wouldn't imagine the board would be good for really rough water or downwinding, but maybe in the wider widths it is.

14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 06:03:22 AM »
Comparison between the RS and the All-Star: 101surfsports.com/index.php/about-us/blog/474-which-is-faster-sic-rs

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:21 AM »
"There is no ‘winner’. Every time a design choice is made it has a consequence. A pro and a con. The point here is not to say who is better but rather to translate these choices the designers are making so you can pick the board that is best for you.

The key to picking the right board for you is matching it to not only the venue you race in most often, but also the skill of the rider. While a pro rider may be able to benefit from a design element that very same design choice may put the intermediate racer in to the water."

Spot on.  The overall review makes a lot of sense.  The AS is better for rough -> while the RS is better for flat.  Most of the comments are very nuanced and unless you have tried multiple width boards of the same model firsthand in varying conditions -> will be somewhat hard to appreciate.  Kinda affirms my position that no design is best.  Just that one design is slightly better for one condition vs another.  Based always on the skill of the rider.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
Completely agree with Eagle here. Board + conditions + skill set will determine whether you smile on the board or curse. Yesterday, me and FloridaWindSUP and couple other guys went on a light wind downbreezer. I was on Allstar and James was on Falcon. He smoked me probably by at least a mile. I had super horrible time on Allstar. Boat wakes were all over - these fuc...rs were left and right. I was bracing more than paddling plus rail oversteering on allstar sometimes can be a curse. Imho I would have been faster and more efficient on my sic bullet. I had amazing dw runs on allstar in biscayne bay were the wind and swell were perfectly lined up and I was smoking other guys riding bullets.
My thinking is that all of these all water designs are all about compromising with no true do it all board which is probably not possible.
That review is very specific and unless you rode all those boards for a while in different conditions I guess that review is no help for an average user.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
Completely agree with Eagle here. Board + conditions + skill set will determine whether you smile on the board or curse.

My thinking is that all of these all water designs are all about compromising with no true do it all board which is probably not possible.
That review is very specific and unless you rode all those boards for a while in different conditions I guess that review is no help for an average user.
Yeah without riding those actual boards in the various widths it is really quite hard to comprehend the differences noted.  Luckily I have tried the 23 - 24.5 - 25 - and 28 AS so have a pretty good idea how each handles in a multitude of conditions.  But most that seem to comment about the AS have very little actual firsthand experience and are guessing.  The RS looks good as well -> just has a bit different design and power zone is all.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
Yeah, lots of things can change when you go wider with a board which means that you can’t akways just assume that a narrower version of a board is just going to be faster and tippier than the wider one, but otherwise handle identically. For instance, I thought that the 14x28 Maliko actually seemed to go better upwind than the 14x26 - at least for me at my weight and paddle style. On the face of it this makes no sense. But the waterline changes when you add volume, and adding width and volume can change the pitching and roll characteristics of a board for a given weight. Pitch and roll can affect the speed of a board through the water considerably. In his tutorial videos, Danny Ching used to emphasise keeping an even keel when paddling. This is likely to be easier as you add width (and volume). A similar thing may happen to pitching when you add surface area (and volume, since rail thicknesses are invariably maintained or increased with most designs) in contact with the water at the nose and tail. In these ways, wider (and therefore more voluminous) versions of boards might not always be slower for a given paddler, especially in certain conditions. So IMO it’s always worth trying a particular board design at various widths in the conditions in which you paddle in order to be sure which works best for you, rather than just assuming that you should get the narrowest one you can possibly stand on (which tends to be the predominant unspoken belief on this forum).

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
Speed really depends on so many factors.  Board design width skills power etc.  In big messy bumps for sure my 27.25 V2 can crush my AS23 upwind.  In the most nasty conditions my 28 M14 bests my V2.  So all is very relative.  Sometimes wider is faster -> as well DW.  That is why many have a well diversified quiver of boards and paddles like us.  We like to learn the nuances and adapt to them vs buying new boards and paddles from year to year like some others.  We really have come to appreciate the various designs in our little quiver.

No one we know thinks the narrowest board they can stand on is the best one.  Everyone knows each board has its very own set of pros and cons.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:28:48 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
No one we know thinks the narrowest board they can stand on is the best one.
Thanks for the laugh. Very funny coming from you :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Haha!  Wide vs narrow.  That seems to be always the question.  Always the same answer.  It depends.  ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal