Author Topic: Wave Pool - test run contest  (Read 4997 times)

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Wave Pool - test run contest
« on: September 21, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
Sorry if this is a repeat post....

The WSL ran a test contest yesterday at Slater's wave pool.  The wave looks really fast!  Love how they get each surfer to surf both lefts and rights in the heat (2 rights, 2 lefts--they keep their best right and best left score).

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/273303/one-small-step-for-surfers-one-giant-leap-for-surfing

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/273519/pro-surfings-founders-get-a-glimpse-of-the-future

If they can get one of these up and running for the Olympics (which is the plan), it could be an interesting watch.  Like snowboarding progression in halfpipe, I'm sure the surfing will get more and more technical (though, I used to like watching snowboard halfpipe back in the day of big stylish tweaked out method airs over the current super technical spins…but I'm a grumpy old man when it comes to that).

----------
Some interesting quotes:

"Going in, many thought the judges would be parsing scores by the hundredth of a point. In fact, it was easier than ever to justify scores, especially with the help of extra-slow motion replay available on every turn."

Mark Richards: "Coming in I thought the judging was going to be really difficult, because I envisioned every wave being exactly the same, but that wasn't the case at all," he explained. "We saw people falling off waves, guys drawing different lines, and surfers reading the wave better than others. It was actually really easy to tell who did better than the other."

Slater: "When the playing field is level, it's a lot easier to see who utilized it more uniquely, or better, with no bobbles," said Slater. "And the whole idea of getting a 10-point ride on one maneuver is done -- that could never happen here."

Jordy: "I got properly drilled out there," said Jordy Smith. "That wave is powerful and when you fall you get worked."

-----

Love it or hate, it's here...gonna be interesting to see where things go (both for pros and the paying public).
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Wave Pool - test run contest
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
It'll also be interesting to see the teams in the Olympics.  Who will make it from the US, Aus, Brazil?  What about non-traditional surf countries like Sweden, China, Russia, Canada?
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

ericmichaels

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
That will highlight what I don't like about the Olympics now. It is easy and common to switch your country. Every one recruits new citizens just to compete

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
3 years from the Olympics and only Slater/USA have the technology... playing field isn't really level... but anyway I have no interest in Olympics

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed watching the video.  Something about it seemed different than most contest footage.   Maybe because it's a test, or that the jockeying and wave selection strategies are irrelevant and non existent? 

I really felt a big fun and stoke factor, maybe it's the novelty combined with the reality that they aren't taking over a coastal surf spot and "taking" waves from the locals?  Seems like a very high vibration and something that would be awesome to be a part of.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:00 PM »
Only about 3 hours away from the SF Bay Area, yet not for the public  :(

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:06:48 AM »
surfing with no threat of sharks...nice!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:23 AM »
I have very little interest in even surfing in a wave pool. It might be fun occasionally but half my enjoyment of surfing is being at the beach and in the ocean and as for actually surfing...the variability of mother natures waves. It would be fun to experience perfection but that would get old fast.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:38 AM »
+1 Stoney!

Also, bopping about in the ocean surf with no pressure of the clock to catch his/her share of waves is the part of the allure (to me).  I think it'd be cool to try the wavepool once or twice but I know me....I'd feel the pressure of wanting to squeeze out my monies worth (as in wanting to catch every wave when it was my turn and getting a full ride) - a bit hard to see a lot of fun in that.  I fall at the beach (the norm) and its a casual paddle back out and wait to do it again...however long it takes.

8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »
A punchy wave, with a real tube, speed and perfect conditions.
The dream of every surfer.... but like all dreams, once realized, it may become less important.

Time will tell. Kudos to Kelly and his team for making a real wave happen!

Contests aren't for contestants... they are for sponsors.
They will be able to hype the hell out of this.
Stage and combatants.... very Romanesque.

I'll continue to chase waves the old fashion way and enjoy the parking lot, "after session"  vibe.... but sign me up for a session at KellyLand!

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 08:07:53 AM »
This reminds me of indoor rock gyms and how they integrated into the climbing scene.  But I guess the cost and size of these pools is a lot more, so maybe not such a wide impact.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »

I think its pretty awesome. Remember this is just the beginning of what a wave can look like. As the technology matures, changing waves, with different peaks and sizes will come. To me this is yet another way to enjoy water time. I would love to try it. 

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »
Here's another creative look at the contest (w/o commentary) and the pool, but put to music, which is 'eh', but fitting if you like it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
OK as someone who has spent ENORMOUS amount of hours surfing in wave pools (Back in the Mid Eighties nothing a tenth as good as what Kelly's is) Let me say this will revolutionize surfing waves as we know it In the natural ocean and other wise I do not want to hazard a guess if it will be all positive or negative. Probably a little of both
The Olympics in a wavepool is the only fair way to hold it and again positive or negative is your call
The reality is "poo pooing" it and infering it is not really surfing is short sighted and foolish You probably will end up eating your words
Keep your eyes out they are coming and in some cases are here EMBRACE the future... It's the only way to FLY!

Oh yeah check out the picture ... HOW MANY WORLD CHAMPS, PipeLine MASTER"S Champs can you see in that picture...And the young good looking guy in the middle isn't one of them...

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
Great picture Jimmy the K

He's my updated version

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal