Author Topic: Dug-out decks work  (Read 19425 times)

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dug-out decks work
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
Here are James Casey and Marcus Tardrew  in the same Sunova dugouts from the weekend.  She wins the women's M2M and these guys finish 1-2 in the men's.  I don't like these things but they sure do seem to go.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
From what Jeremy Riggs told me, these dugouts were the ticket for that day. He said conditions
were sticky and these boards surfed very well. He finished 4th on the M2M after Cody with the
SIC bayonet 17.

Annabel was doing Malikos and double Malikos the entire 2 weeks I was there, same Sunova
unlimited. I tried to hustle a ride from her but it looked she's about the kick my nuts and
spray we with pepper so I left well alone.

The part on the video is the fun part of the course.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:08:22 PM by burchas »
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »
Some pretty serious skills on show there from James Casey and Marcus Tardrew. It shows well the runaway train downwind experience of dugouts. Thrilling if you have the skills, as awkward as hell if not. Awesome-looking boards for those conditions and riders though. Very impressive indeed.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
It appears that they are able to stay further forward on the board without having to step back and slowing down. Also being able to use the rudder more often connecting with more bumps.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
Yeah def if you can just stay forward you can catch everything and this seems the design approach.  You can plane on a 14 pintail with a double concave - but these ULs are more about high average speed and steering to stay on a bump and in the groove.  Personally had similar sensations on the Bullet 17.4 as could stay on the rudder in the drops and just crouch down and pummel along.  Steering was so much easier than trying to gain control with just a paddle.  So easy to just drive into the power of the wave.  We all know now what an Ace dug-out can do with Clement clearly displaying this in his vid.  The 23.5 that I paddled recently felt really good.

"I guess there are pros and cons to everything ..... I'm a big fan of the Ace so I wanted to give it a go on a bigger board and see what happens."

"To be honest the best thing about this board is I don't have to move off the rudder so I just drop down the biggest bumps and just stay on the rudder."

https://deepoceanboards.com/velocity/

https://youtu.be/pz5p1NzSVBo

https://youtu.be/HbdKlEpK4rg
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
That video was awesome.  But to draw any conclusions about the board from conditions that great would be a stretch IMO.  This is arguably the best downwind stretch in the world.  Everyone looks good there... even me.  And Casey is right near being the very best paddler in the world.

But this is the board I saw with the dug out deck that the girl was on.  It looked like a beast and the hard rails that define the deep dug-out looked deadly if you fell on them.    Even a stud like Jamie Mitchell falls.  He fell and cracked a rib when a group of heavy hitters were challenging the Alenuihaha Channel between the Big Island and Maui.  That channel is probably the heaviest run in the world.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
I was referring to digger71's video of the Kamalo Molokai stretch, not the one above my post

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Here are James Casey and Marcus Tardrew  in the same Sunova dugouts from the weekend.  She wins the women's M2M and these guys finish 1-2 in the men's.  I don't like these things but they sure do seem to go.

That has to be one of the best downwind action videos ever. It's satisfying to watch him getting. every. bump. and linking them together so nicely. Hardly ever not on a glide.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
Tardrew has been tweaking his dug-out designs for a while and seems to have a good solution.  Not overly boofy.  The crazy angles he was getting going across waves was amazing.  You can see his tail slide and stall then see his rudder fin grip and straighten out the board.  The view from behind was excellent for that.  He is a very underrated DW paddler with great technique.  Watch how many paddle strokes he takes vs time surfing.

Yep the problem with such high rails is falling and cracking a rib.  Bad enough on a flat decked board.  But more risk def.
Fast is FUN!   8)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Has anyone ever thought of putting padding on the rails of the dugout to make them hurt less?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »

Yep the problem with such high rails is falling and cracking a rib.  Bad enough on a flat decked board.  But more risk def.

Been there, done that. "Fall away from the board"!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »
Flat deck or dugout that is the question? Have both if you cab and go for it!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »

Been there, done that. "Fall away from the board"!
Yes, if you feel you are going to fall, you have to jettison yourself out of the boat with vigour.

Then you've got the problem of getting back in. That can be a painful and difficult experience - and a slow one too. If you are in a DW race in a dugout, you'd better make sure you stay upright.

And then there's what happens if a wave breaks over the nose when going upwind. Instant bird bath, and the board stops dead. It can take a couple of minutes to empty. Similar problem with wipe-outs when surfing the board to shore.

All in all, if you use a dugout, don't fall, and be careful going upwind or into surf.

I have both flat deck and a dug-out board. I never paddle the dugout for fun. It's a tool for a job, and can be thrilling. But there are significant downsides (not to mention carrying them, and transporting them) that will I think stop them from becoming very popular outside the racing set.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
Fortunately never had any fall where I have landed on any ribs.  But have heard of a few who have on both the Ace and flat boards.  Generally whenever I fall is on a steep leftover DW run where am going too slow and the wave behind grabs the fin and pushes me off on the downslope.  Wind is too slow to push -> but waves are pretty big and fast.  So always am very cognizant of my speed in relation to the waves and find that transition zone somewhat challenging in those conditions.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 04:52:37 AM »
If you hit the rail while falling it’s probably that you’re trying to hold on to the board. TallDude has good advice. I’m still learning on my NSP Sonic and like Area10 said, getting back on after a fall is the bigger problem. You just can’t lay on the board with your belly and slide in. You have to lift like doing a dip on a parallel bar, but put most of your weight on the opposite rail. The Sonic drains in seconds compared to the early model Ace. I saw a video yesterday with Travis Grant and he will be using an NSP prototype unlimited dugout for M2O this year. It’s the board on the left. The one on the right is the flat deck unlimited.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:56:19 AM by Chilly »
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal