Author Topic: Help me choose an inflatable please!  (Read 9551 times)

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
Help me choose an inflatable please!
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
Hello all, hope this in line with the forum guidelines,

First post here. I'm a newbie prone surfer and am looking for an iSup for light conditions, 1-3 foot . Don't plan on too much real flat water touring, also my kids will probly wanna use it.  Definitely want an inflatable for safety and portability.
I'm an ex canoeist/kayaker so I think I'll take to the paddle well. Also in good physical shape age 52,   5 foot 8 /  172cm.  150lbs, /65 kg.

I'm looking at this list, and my budget is around 600USD$
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/10256-the-best-inflatable-sup-boards-in-the-world

So the short list for now is

iRocker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CSY7ZK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B013CSY7ZK&linkCode=as2&tag=surfe-20&linkId=LOQINGDN54JGIME5

Solcstice Bali

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PPNQU2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004PPNQU2&linkCode=as2&tag=surfe-20&linkId=XRQS7BEF5IMVUI6W

Vilano Navigator

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ICCIAQS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=surfe-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01ICCIAQS&linkId=ad908914966c2ef514cdf84a04ccac16

Isle Airtech 10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRL9FK6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00CRL9FK6&linkCode=as2&tag=surfe-20&linkId=BGUCY76GC2PWLU5C

What do you think of these choices?
Any others that you'd recommend for a newbie for surfing mainly?

Thank you very much for looking and I hope to ask many more questions in the near future!

CaptainKook   ;)

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me choose an inflatable please!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
I don't really understand how they made that list. We should definitely meet so you can try different boards. I have a Naish isup that you might like

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:18:23 PM »
That list is complete BS. If you want an iSUP that surfs you need a board that is 100mm in thickness, holds up to 20 psi and has a stiffening system. Look up Taku at ULI Boards Japan and he can set you up. Their Wiki Rail give the board a hard edge that releases water faster and it surfs far better that any other inflatable.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 03:39:56 AM »
I'd check Craigslist for a used Uli 9 or 10 Lopez model. I've been on more than a few boards, including inflatables, and those work.

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 05:35:28 AM »
Thanks guys,

I'll keep an eye out for a used ULI but... won't find one here in Japan that's for sure
And their cheapest board is like 2 grand $ that's not happening, I understand your point on quality though. Maybe if I sell my canoe can swing it .

Is there no way in hell that a rather light (150lb) rider like myself can get away with a cheapy 650$ , 15 PSI , 6 inch thick board in 2 foot waves? I'm talking messing around on a beach or shore break , sand bottom bathing beach.

Thanks again for your patience

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
Don't waste your money. Get a board made by one of the premium brands, that pumps to at least 18 PSI. Red Paddle is an obvious choice but most of the bigger (windsurf) brands also have decent boards these days (Naish, Starboard, Fanatic, Jimmy Lewis etc etc).

You need to be able to sink a rail to surf. You aren't going to sink a 6" thick rail on a board that has all the rigidity of a limp d*ck.

Buying a cheapo board is false economy. It won't last long, it's faults will be a constant irritation, and when you come to sell it you'll have to give it away.

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:12 AM »
Ok, guess I'll be selling my canoe then...thanks area10, jarvis, and capo!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:47 AM »
Hi CaptainKook, You get what you pay for is exactly how it works with inflatables. Steer clear of anything that doesn't proudly promote or advertise suggested inflation pressure and full construction details. Julian
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

CaptainKook

• Get up, stand up
  • Waikiki Status
  • こんにちは
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 03:35:29 AM »

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »
Ok guys and gals, is this getting warmer?
Looks solid and reputable, no?
NO! If Amazon is too incompetent to offer accurate details on a product they're offering on their sight, I'd avoid it!!!
Most likely it's an "affiliate" dealer who only cares about their bottom line and could care less about making sure their add is correct and their customers getting into the right product for their needs. These aren't SUP enthusiasts, they're opportunist out to take your money.
I'd offer you some advice, but when I see people shopping Amazon, you loose my full attention.
Good luck!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Hi CaptainKook, You get what you pay for is exactly how it works with inflatables. Steer clear of anything that doesn't proudly promote or advertise suggested inflation pressure and full construction details. Julian
+1.
If your budget is $600, you're really not ready to buy a board imo. There are over 100 iSUP brands available, but only a handful make anything with some element of quality and performance. Like Area10 stated, focus on brands that have roots in windsurfing/kite or brands dedicated to iSUPs only like Uli, Red, and Hala. Everything else is just crap with a logo on it.
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
Regardless of all the expert advice you're getting, just get a board and try it out for yourself.  You'll soon learn what works and what doesn't.  I would stick to name brands like Naish, Bic, Starboard, etc. even at your budget.  Surf specific iSup like Uli and Red make are just no fun to just paddle around.  They have no glide, no speed and lower stability.

The first thing to realize is inflatables just do not surf well, regardless of the cost, the features and the ripping YouTube videos.  Lack of a hard rail (yes, Uli trys) and the board flex are bad things, but what you won't realize until you try one is the unique stiction properties that iSup's possess.  Because of the constraints imposed by the drop-stitch construction, the rail are just giant and round and if they touch the water surface forward of center on take off, say goodbye.  You'll stop just as quickly as if somebody grabbed your kook cord.  The another big factor is you're standing way above the waterline even on an expensive 4" thick surf iSup.  If I just stood up on my shortboard, I'd be a 12" underwater.  There is just no way to bury a rail on a turn like a standard surfboard or even a standard surfing Sup (yes, Steamroller is an exception).

As a surfer who has owned and tried surfing multiple iSups, I can take off and maybe angle, but I wouldn't really call it surfing.  The feeling is more like what you see when a rubber rafts take off on a wave.  Find a vid to get the idea.

You'd be much better off getting a cheapo soft board like a Wavester SUP, seriously.  But if you're in Japan, I know space is a premium, so go ahead get an iSup somewhere around 9'6" to 10' and 30" to 32" wide.  That Naish might be fun, but it's an Oil Tanker size.  The Naish says 24.5 lb, but don't be surprised if it's more like 30 lb (I never owned a Naish that was close to the advertised weight).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:33:29 PM by baddog »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Regardless of all the expert advice you're getting, just get a board and try it out for yourself.  You'll soon learn what works and what doesn't.  I would stick to name brands like Naish, Bic, Starboard, etc. even at your budget.  Surf specific iSup like Uli and Red make are just no fun to just paddle around.  They have no glide, no speed and lower stability.

The first thing to realize is inflatables just do not surf well, regardless of the cost, the features and the ripping YouTube videos.  Lack of a hard rail (yes, Uli trys) and the board flex are bad things, but what you won't realize until you try one is the unique stiction properties that iSup's possess.  Because of the constraints imposed by the drop-stitch construction, the rail are just giant and round and if they touch the water surface forward of center on take off, say goodbye.  You'll stop just as quickly as if somebody grabbed your kook cord.  The another big factor is you're standing way above the waterline even on an expensive 4" thick surf iSup.  If I just stood up on my shortboard, I'd be a 12" underwater.  There is just no way to bury a rail on a turn like a standard surfboard or even a standard surfing Sup (yes, Steamroller is an exception).

As a surfer who has owned and tried surfing multiple iSups, I can take off and maybe angle, but I wouldn't really call it surfing.  The feeling is more like what you see when a rubber rafts take off on a wave.  Find a vid to get the idea.

You'd be much better off getting a cheapo soft board like a Wavester SUP, seriously.  But if you're in Japan, I know space is a premium, so go ahead get an iSup somewhere around 9'6" to 10' and 30" to 32" wide.  That Naish might be fun, but it's an Oil Tanker size.  The Naish says 24.5 lb, but don't be surprised if it's more like 30 lb (I never owned a Naish that was close to the advertised weight).

I agree..

Except I have had some Naish boards weight what they say it should be..  :)

I'd never recommend an inflatable board for surfing.

It may be do-able.. but it won't be very enjoy-able.. Unless you enjoy making something very challenging sort-of work..  :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:56:07 PM by DavidJohn »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
I'm usually a fan of Bic boards, but I spent a little time on a Bic inflatable and was very underwhelmed. I think this was the 2016 model, but it was a lousy board. On the other hand, I spent some time yesterday on a Red 13'2". What a nice board! Lots of fun to paddle.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
...Except I have had some Naish boards weight what they say it should be..  :)

I knew I was going to get busted for that 8)

A lot of brands don't make the weight claimed, my AST Starboards too.  But... my fancy and expensive Carbon race boards have all hit the mark.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal