Author Topic: Quickie nose and tail repair  (Read 6084 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quickie nose and tail repair
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
I just picked up a used Richmond unlimited but the nose and tails had some serious end of race, hit the rocky shore damage. Noses and tails are the hardest to repair because of the complex curves. Add to that carbon fiber and it gets harder. No one is paying me to do this, so it isn't any where near Edubs quality. In fact I'm not capable of doing what he does. Even if someone paid me, they'd not get that level of repair. Anyway, it's solid and doesn't leak, and I'm paddling it. I was a little antsy to get it in the water, so about 4 hours after I hot coated the repairs, I when and paddled it. The epoxy did like that, but it worked out and sanded out fine.   

I wrapped the nose tight by laying a piece of wax paper over the carbon fiber and taped it down tight. I did the same at the tail. I could have sanded it more and got it really smooth, but.....nah.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:38:58 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quickie nose and tail repair
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »
Nice repair TD!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
Looks pretty good man. I love that you took it out uncured lol. It's wild how bad stuff can look and then it cleans right up.

Was that fancy 2 part clear or just rattle can?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
Looks pretty good man. I love that you took it out uncured lol. It's wild how bad stuff can look and then it cleans right up.

Was that fancy 2 part clear or just rattle can?
Just some Krylon Clear Acrylic rattle stuff. Works fine for half-ass repairs. And I'm becoming quite an expert in half-ass repairs :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:00:02 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Nice repair job.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
Nice work. But a couple of suggestions for next time. I prepreg all the carbon I use for repairs. Roll black plastic on my long steel table, lay out the amount of carbon I expect to use, lay on the epoxy, squeegee smooth. I don't press hard, I just take off the excess. The use a razor blade to cut the carbon into the bits I need. Sometimes I make paper templates. The epoxy keeps the carbon from fraying. Paint the board in the places you want to repair with a thin layer of epoxy. Put the pieces on like a puzzle, roll with one of those disc "incorporators".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:25:36 PM »
I thought about taping the CF edges before I laid it up to keep the strands from moving. I would have helped if my scissors weren't all clogged with dried epoxy. The prepreg would have helped for sure. The CF fabric didn't want to absorb the epoxy. I really had to hammered it in with a brush. It definitely did not want to make that tight bend either. Ron House showed me that wax paper and tight tape trick. It works pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:27:32 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »
Where do you get your carbon fiber cloth in SoCal?   

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
Where do you get your carbon fiber cloth in SoCal?
I have a bunch of scrap left over from larger projects laying around. Some I bought online. This particular CF  is a 3oz 1K plain weave that comes in 4" or 5" wide rolls for stringers or rail wraps. Bashams surf supply in San Clemente usually has it in stock. I don't think they carry full width rolls of CF. 
It's not overhead to me!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
... Ron House showed me that wax paper and tight tape trick. It works pretty good.

Here is a slight twist to the "wax paper and tight tape trick".  Instead of wax paper, I will sometimes use a peel ply (nylon taffeta) which allows the excess epoxy to bleed through leaving a very strong bond and a textured finish. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:14:02 AM by Bean »

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
Came out great - you spent more time and effort on your board than I do mine  ;). I test new ideas and materials on mine to see what happens over time.
@rf.boardworks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »
I use wax paper for smooth finishes on something quick and dirty (no hotcoat) and peelply for pretty much everything else, even if I don't bag it. I've gotten addicted to vacuum bagging, so that doesn't happen often. I've got to do a couple of repairs on my Bullet 17 and my Blackfish--the river hasn't been helping my normal clumsiness. I'm going to bag both of them. Funny thing is when I sucked on the little crack I saw dripping on the Blackfish the water was salty. I've never used that board in salt water that I can remember. It's a used board, so maybe this one isn't my screwup. High on the tail. It's going to have to be a very pretty repair--it's in the exposed carbon.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:44:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

I'm becoming quite an expert in half-ass repairs :)

One of my essential rules of life:  "Some things can afford to be done in mediocrity."

Very freeing.  It's watertight.  It floats.  The amount of effort to take things from functioning to perfect often isn't worth it.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »
"wax paper and tight tape trick"

After viewing Jimmy Lewis's board building video where he used a plastic sheet instead of vacuum bagging I've been using Saran Wrap. It works pretty good for the typical ding especially for corners and edges. It stretches nicely over irregular shapes and puts good pressure on the patch during curing. It also peels away easily after the epoxy sets.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
Saran wrap and other plastic films work great, but they stretch, and tend to wrinkle--sometimes after you've walked away to wait for the epoxy to kick. Wax paper won't follow complex curves, but for rails with just a single axis of curve it's easier to use and more consistent. One more tool in the toolkit. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal