Author Topic: SUS at Lowers?  (Read 3736 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
SUS at Lowers?
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
Hi,
In watching this short  video I saw 3 or 4 waves on the inside go unridden. 

I was thinking those look like fun SUP waves and I'm wondering if anyone SUS those?  Is it the long walk?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aokBKwPO_LU
https://youtu.be/aokBKwPO_LU
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: SUS at Lowers?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
We have a lot of waves like that on the upper Texas coast where I sup surf. I surf small waves like that. Makes it easy to learn to sup surfing too.

BTW, that shark that breached the water in that video, if that ever happens to me, I'd paddle quickly back to shore and call it a day. Better to be safe than sorry if you get my drift.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »
It's really the long walk out with your paddle broken, your board dinged and your nose bleeding that keeps the SUS traffic down. ;)

I'm kidding but for me, it's a respect thing. Although I have ridden a SUP at certain waves, I tend to just lie down and go with the flow and respect the wishes of the locals at certain breaks. I'm assuming in OC it's the same with Lowers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:15:55 AM by surfcowboy »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Ahh....NO
  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. There are far too many other choices for Sus. Sometimes we need to respect the fact that there are boundaries we should not cross. Give it some time ( maybe 10yrs. )

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
I have seen sharks at sano a few times and just kept surfing.  Until recently there hadn't been any attacks (that I know of).

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:17 AM »
Just south about a thousand yards, but a similar right, is Church. Shorter walk (from SanO north parking), open to SUP because that section beach is for the military families vacationing / camping / RV'g.  The State Parks rangers and life guards have no say there. Either north or south of that section, which is under the jurisdiction of the State Parks, has no sup (paddle in your hand) areas. So all of Trestles is no. North end of SanO is no. DogPatch and south is yes. The thing about Lowers, is at any given time you will be in the line-up with either Kelly Slater, a Gudauskas brother, Griffin Colapinto, Kolohe Andino, just to name a few local regulars, and a hundred ripping high school and junior high surf team groms. So your wave count will be Zero.

Oh, and there ARE sharks in the Ocean!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:38:11 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
Just south about a thousand yards, but a similar right, is Church. Shorter walk (from SanO north parking), open to SUP because that section beach is for the military families vacationing / camping / RV'g.  The State Parks rangers and life guards have no say there. Either north or south of that section, which is under the jurisdiction of the State Parks, has no sup (paddle in your hand) areas. So all of Trestles is no. North end of SanO is no. DogPatch and south is yes. The thing about Lowers, is at any given time you will be in the line-up with either Kelly Slater, a Gudauskas brother, Griffin Colapinto, Kolohe Andino, just to name a few local regulars, and a hundred ripping high school and junior high surf team groms. So your wave count will be Zero.

Oh, and there ARE sharks in the Ocean!

The funny thing is if Slater was out there on a SUP, I'd bet he would not get any grief.  Nobody else should even try.  I personally don't even prone surf at lowers because of the crowd factor.  Too crowded with too many great surfers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:23:20 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »
Slater would totally get hassled.

Sorry guys but I am not going for anymore SUP-victimhood. We get a ton of amazing waves, and usually 10 to 1 more than proners. Let's not entertain the poor SUP surfers stuff yet again. This forum is already a repository of threads like that. We're good and we can dominate any lineup we like (and we mostly have.)

You're all free to say what you want, but if you keep this line of discussion I'm going to start posting speedo shots again like in hot chicks. Hahahahahaaaaaa....

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:43:34 PM »
Slater would totally get hassled.

Sorry guys but I am not going for anymore SUP-victimhood. We get a ton of amazing waves, and usually 10 to 1 more than proners. Let's not entertain the poor SUP surfers stuff yet again. This forum is already a repository of threads like that. We're good and we can dominate any lineup we like (and we mostly have.)

You're all free to say what you want, but if you keep this line of discussion I'm going to start posting speedo shots again like in hot chicks. Hahahahahaaaaaa....

Which post had a "SUP victimhood" attitude in it?  Not sure I see anyone engaging in that. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
Oh man, not personal. Just when someone makes the double standard comment people start to pile on. Wasn't specifically aimed at you.

I will say that if you put in the time, you sort of get a pass. Ever watch JOB ride an inflatable pool toy at Pipe?

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:49 PM »
Even Mo Freitas would probably get hassled paddling out on a SUP at Lowers.  True that nobody would give Slater shit regardless of what we was riding.  But Slater would never go out at Lowers on a SUP, not his style. 

JOB is the opposite.  Correct that JOB will paddle out at maxing Pipe on almost anything, but that's just another way he asserts his alpha-dog status there.

I was talking with a friend who said that trying to go night surfing Lowers on a clear night with a full moon  -- you might have a shot to go out on a SUP if there weren't many guys out. 

Otherwise, forget it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
I have a secret project x in the works long term for night surfing.

I've done it two or three times and it's amazing. I think when the led's get stronger we will be able to have a decent little Honda generator and light up a break more than well enough to surf it. We've discussed a few spots where the access doesn't close at dark and there are even some spots where you could park a truck and light up the break from the back

It's coming. Hmm.. maybe I need to pick up a couple led spots and see where the state of the art is these days. Eventually the Zone will just be renamed to "Surf Hacking Zone" after we all fill it up with weird builds and projects and ideas lol.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
Full moon?  Surf with the werewolves. 
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal