Author Topic: Starboard whopper  (Read 5516 times)

Haggis

• Haggis
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard whopper
« on: April 14, 2017, 05:45:38 AM »
Hi all new to stand up zone,
Currently on a starboard whopper 10 x 34, and looking to go something a bit smaller, borrowed a mates hypernut today to see how I would  go and it was way way to hard. Usually surfing in knee to head high waves and finding the whopper a bit  to cumbersome now.
I'm 90 kgs  and would like something a bit easier to use on waves but nothing that's going to see me struggling, I,m not cutting waves up ,more of a happy to be catching a wave kind of guy.
Any info would be nice, thinking of a fanatic all wave 9'1 or a starboard wide point .
Regards
Haggis
whopper 9 5
jl ww
jp widebody

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard whopper
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
Welcome to the Zone!

I'm about your size and ride anything from a 110l 7'10' Infinity to a 14' x26 Naish, so the range of boards is pretty broad for people our size.

Without seeing how you surf or what waves you normally surf it would be hard to give any specific recommendations, but the Allwave is a pretty good start. 

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
Hey Haggis...

A 9'5 Widepoint would be a totally reasonable next step. A half foot drop in length, and 2" in width coupled with less swing weight.  And there are lots of boards of similar general shape. Do you have a preference between turning from the middle of the board vs turning off the tail as in more longboard style? That would inform your decision...   Whatever your next board may be... it won't be your last  ;D
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
Haggis, the info on the Hypernut is good low-end background to bracket the whopper at the high end (volume/stability wise).
How much do you weigh? 
How old?
How stable do you like to ride?
Do you consider yourself reasonably athletic or are there physical limitations we should consider?
How choppy is your surf break?
Beach break or point/reef?
How tall are you?
Is your surf hollow or sloped slow rollers?

This info is helpful to pin down our answers.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »
 Yup, the Starboard Widepoint is a good option.  Maybe even better, a SupSports 9'5"x31'@160L Hammer.  I believe Wardog designed the Starboard Widepoint, as well as his own branded Hammer.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Mahi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 03:38:22 AM »
Try the Naish Mana.  They have a 9'5" or 8'10" that you may like.  I have had the 9'5" for 5 years.  It's the go to board, when you just want to catch anything.  Good luck.
Naish Mana 9'5"
Starboard Pocket Rocket 8'5"
King's Super Simmons 8'6"

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
Hi Haggis,

When I transitioned off the Whopper I went down to the 9'8" x 30" Element. I found the length to be super easy to catch waves, and the width was much nicer riding and turning on waves. It was a bit of a change stability wise but the wave performance was much nicer. A really cruisey board and you could walk the nose. I then stepped down to the 8'5" Pro mainly due to swing weight so I can understand the suggestions of shorter but still wide. I'm 88kgs.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »
That 9-8 x 30 element GWS suggests could be a good choice depending on the factors that JimK mentioned. I have one of the early ones...2008 and still have fun on that board even though it's low volume for me (I'm 130kg). To narrow it down you'll need to give the info JimK mentioned. even then any advice should simply narrow your search....demoing is always the way to go if possible.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

smv

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Hi,
I am 95kgs and transitioned from the 10x34 whopper to the 9.5x33 whopper junior last year, as my everyday board. As you, I was finding the 10x34 a bit cumbersome to turn and wanted a smooth transition to an easier board, nothing dramatic on conditions, small waves and still able to cruise easily etc.. Well, the 9.5x33 it is really a nice board, stable, easy to turn and with enough volume to handle all conditions, cruise and waves. Both names given to this board do not give justice to its behavior. It is not a whopper, in fact nothing  close to it and certainly not a "junior" version, intended for women or juniors as starboard wants to market it. Totally a different board that will surprise you by its ride qualities.. give it a try if you have a chance to demo it!
Cheers,

Haggis

• Haggis
  • Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 03:07:41 AM »
Thanks for the info guys,much appreciated. Just to let you know I have went for a 2nd hand 2015 starboard hero ast I pick it up Friday. I got it for a good price and its ment to be in mint condition ( see on Friday ). I will post when/if I get it to let you know how I go on it.  Hopefully it's not to big a drop in size . Anyway thanks again and keep up the good work.
Haggis
whopper 9 5
jl ww
jp widebody

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »
That will be an easy step down for you. Congrats, and tell us how you make out.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:06 AM »
Haggis,
I started out on a board with similar dimensions to the whopper (10' x 34") and moved up and down the chart to find the right fit, finally settling on a SUP Sports stoke with dimensions you'll recognize (9-6 x 33.5").  From mush to good stuff, it's always ready to go, turns much quicker, and feels like a natural extension of my body at this point.  I have advantages of owning the brackets to this board (a 9-2 x 32" stoke and 10-3 x 33" mahalo, both great boards) so I know the right fit when I'm on it, and this is the board. My guess is that you'll feel the same about that Hero in no time. Grats on the new ride, I hope you enjoy it fully!

Bowerboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
I have been riding a Naish Quest 9'6 32.5 wide 170l. Very affordable, ridiculously strong and rides great. I have given this board an absolute pounding and the most that has happened is a couple of small scratches from carrying the board.

Bowerboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 06:13:23 PM »
Naish Quest

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal