Author Topic: foiling on a SUP!  (Read 16078 times)

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: foiling on a SUP!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
A little quote from Sailing Anarchy: "Something about foilers attracts the truly eccentric, the totally obsessed, and occasionally, the clinically insane."

I'm in there somewhere.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
the rear foils would be out just a few inches from the edge of the board and would be inverse wings mounted on a crossbar on top of the board. ... The front foil is a standard wing. Probably high aspect ratio to give some tip stability without excess drag.

I'm picturing something like Hydroptere, perhaps scaled differently and pointing the other way.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hydroptere&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nkFQVeOMCs71oASpkoDYAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=2560&bih=1260

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:06 PM »
The shape of the forward foils of the AC72 boats is what I have in mind. they would be attached to a beam over the top of the board that can rotate to steer. Relatively small wings pointed inwards. I'd angle the legs inward a little to give some added lift and perhaps add stability.  the front foil would be for pitch control.

Yes, a lot like hydroptere, but with tiplet wings at the end of the foil. I might try it without the tiplets just because it would be easier to build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dnOlE9sjk

Hydroptere has reversed tiplets, probably to control turbulence and to reduce tip drag. I'd turn them inwards and make the angle of the foil legs less acute--rely on the tips for most of the lift as the AC72 does.

I give it about a 30 percent chance that I'll get around to building it and a 5 percent chance of working.  So, pretty good odds.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:12:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
I can't see anything else that would provide lateral resistance so the tiplets must do that too. And Pono, your proposal sounds like it might have enough vertical-ness in the foils for you to also use them as rudders.

Greg Ketterman's Trifoiler design (Longshot, Hobie) was cool in that the windward foil provided downforce and together with the leeward foil's lift, the vessel cornered like a Lotus and went over bumps like a Rolls Royce. With a system something like that on a paddleboard you could have a cup of tea while downwinding.

Skip to 2:30 if you just want the explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXSgZCDVWOM

The iFoil board is intriguing, but seems kind of complicated for passive foils. Its forward foil reminding me of the Trifoiler above. I wonder if all those foils make the board more forgiving to weight placement.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 07:03:03 AM »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal