Author Topic: Ultimate hydration pack suggestions? What do you use?  (Read 18934 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Ultimate hydration pack suggestions? What do you use?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
I have a Source Hipster which I recently took on my four day Hudson paddle. I like it with a caveat. It’s comfortable, and I like the extra space in the pack for power bars. It has a different way of sealing the bag than the CamelBack systems. It’s more of a folding system with a clip than the screw seal. A belt pouch matches a chest PFD well.

The thing I don’t like about it is that the loose end of the tube attaches to the belt with a magnet. That’s okay, but the magnetic attachment on the pouch comes off pretty easily. I lost mine, so I stick the tube into one of them pouch pockets which is kind of unwieldy. It’s fine for a short trip, but after a few days on the water it was pissing me off. After I wrote my review, the manufacturer told me that the removable magnet was so you could mount it anywhere, but it’s a little too removable.

https://paddlexaminer.com/2017/10/hipster-wave-source-outdoors-gear-review/#.W3V04hopChA
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Nifty waistpack, Ichy. Is the integral drybag waterproof? About what volume is is the drybag.

I use a Restube as legal PDF. I like to attach it to a waistbag where I can also store my phone. Always looking for a better one.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
I have a Source Hipster which I recently took on my four day Hudson paddle... but the magnetic attachment on the pouch comes off pretty easily.

I always use to secure the magnet attachment so it won't come off. still able to move it around
when using with the PFD hydration setup.

Saw someone securing the attachment on the cord around his neck where he keeps his keys
when on the water. Very accessible and simple solution for the tube.

BTW, You didn't strike me as the Hipster type Ian :P
in progress...

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
I wouldn’t use a style like the DUNE X-Fit. When getting on and off your board you don’t want any thickness between any area where your thigh will press against your body.
Thanks a lot yugi. That's certainly a good point. The Dakine backpack does sit very high which I like.

I’m guessing the CamelBak’s Octane thick side pockets remain on the side of your waist and don’t get in the way. But I’m also guessing the side pockets are difficult to access. I prefer the Dart.
The Dart comes with a 1.5 L reservoir. My concern is that it might be too small for a 2 L one.
https://international.camelbak.com/en/packs/run/R01051--Octane_Dart?color=3db3ab97f362493cb8b4e619a1848116

Can’t you just replace your current mouthpiece? Or even score a new bladder with new mouthpiece?
The Dakine backpack doesn't have a separate pocket which is large enough for a smart phone. That's why I'm looking for a new one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 03:15:52 PM by Lake Paddler »

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 03:24:22 PM »
I have a Source Hipster which I recently took on my four day Hudson paddle. I like it with a caveat. It’s comfortable, and I like the extra space in the pack for power bars. It has a different way of sealing the bag than the CamelBack systems. It’s more of a folding system with a clip than the screw seal. A belt pouch matches a chest PFD well.

The thing I don’t like about it is that the loose end of the tube attaches to the belt with a magnet. That’s okay, but the magnetic attachment on the pouch comes off pretty easily. I lost mine, so I stick the tube into one of them pouch pockets which is kind of unwieldy. It’s fine for a short trip, but after a few days on the water it was pissing me off. After I wrote my review, the manufacturer told me that the removable magnet was so you could mount it anywhere, but it’s a little too removable.

https://paddlexaminer.com/2017/10/hipster-wave-source-outdoors-gear-review/#.W3V04hopChA
Thanks Ian! Is it possible to attach a leash to the Hipster on the back?

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
I looked for  quite  a while  and  got the Osprey Syncro 3.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/syncro-3-SYNCRO3A_543.html

I've used Osprey packs for a while and really like this one. Straps are thin but comfortable, 2.5L bladder and a pocket that will hold my iphone and a couple  of gels.  it also has the magnetic holder on the chest strap so the hose never moves while paddling.   I've dunked it a couple of times, just give it a fresh water  rinse and  good as new.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
Love it when old threads come back to life.....

I have about 5 or 6 packs. Only one I care for...old Dakine backpack that I keep using despite getting an assortment of others since. I've given most away. I'd like to find one similar to the Dakine but with a good chest pack.  It has a magnetic catch but its solid and I really like it. Give me a backpack big enough to carry 2L and a chest pack that has a 50/50 dry/drained bag. I'm not worried so much about weight. I like broad comfortable straps and a solid fit with lots of volume and space for stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 03:06:37 AM »
Lake, I missed your question. Sorry. It does have some bunnies you can use for a leash.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 06:41:08 AM »
I'm still using my Camelbak Bajas. I've tried dozens of packs and this is the one for me, but unfortunately, they were discontinued. I attach my leash to the back and keep the bag ready to go, with a magnetic dry bag on a lanyard for my phone which I put in a shoulder pocket--mostly for music. With the phone high on my shoulder, I can have music without headphones. I grab my bag and paddle and I'm ready. That's a big deal when you do a lot of ad hoc downwinders. I keep a bar in the pocket but tend to forget them, By the time I discover them they are somewhat skanky. As you can see in this picture from the Fashion tip thread there are two front pockets. You can see the closure of the magnetic drybag sticking out. I listened to music for most of the CCBC crossing, and carried my lunch and snacks for the 30 miles--no problem. The pack is basically a two-liter hip pack with shoulder straps and back and front carrying capacity. I wish Camelbak would reintroduce it.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:49:11 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
I think I have one for you next time you come out. I don't care for the hip carry packs.

Oh and thanks for continuing to post the pic of Igor....no wonder kids run..... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
Love it when old threads come back to life.....

I have about 5 or 6 packs. Only one I care for...old Dakine backpack that I keep using despite getting an assortment of others since. I've given most away. I'd like to find one similar to the Dakine but with a good chest pack.  It has a magnetic catch but its solid and I really like it. Give me a backpack big enough to carry 2L and a chest pack that has a 50/50 dry/drained bag. I'm not worried so much about weight. I like broad comfortable straps and a solid fit with lots of volume and space for stuff.

I'm the same way, I don't really like the weight of the bag sitting on my hips.
The EO Gear hydration pack does pretty much everything you want and it's my favorite by far for long paddles.  Combined with the Source dual bladder (I have 2L and 3L bladders) it's very close to perfect for me.   I still like my Da Kine backpack too but wish it had more space for bigger bladders and a chest pouch.

This is the EO Gear bag I use: https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/eogear-complete-sup-skimo-hydration-kits/products/eogear-large-sup-hydration-pack-w-mesh-harness

and the chest bag module: https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/eogear-sup-hydration-components/products/eogear-chest-module-14

The Source Divide bladder is great if you like having two choices of hydration: http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/home/149-divide-hydration-system#/volume-2l_70oz
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:58:11 AM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 12:44:06 AM »
I looked for  quite  a while  and  got the Osprey Syncro 3.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/syncro-3-SYNCRO3A_543.html

I've used Osprey packs for a while and really like this one. Straps are thin but comfortable, 2.5L bladder and a pocket that will hold my iphone and a couple  of gels.  it also has the magnetic holder on the chest strap so the hose never moves while paddling.   I've dunked it a couple of times, just give it a fresh water  rinse and  good as new.
Thanks 10generation for sharing. The Osprey Syncro 3 does look like a nice backpack. I was surprised to find out that they discontinued it in Europe. How do you like the Osprey Viper 3? Their specifications are quite similar.

Lake Paddler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 12:46:40 AM »
Lake, I missed your question. Sorry. It does have some bunnies you can use for a leash.
Thanks a lot Ian! It is great to know that!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 03:59:41 AM »
I meant “bungies”.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
I like bunnies better.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal