Author Topic: Recommendation for good noserider  (Read 7203 times)

Sup_Ergo_Sum

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Recommendation for good noserider
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »
I am looking for a good nose riding board to add to my quiver of mainly short boards (7'2-8'6). I'm 72kg, 175cm. I am looking at 9' Nut from Starboard but keen to get some advice. Thanks!

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation for good noserider
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
Lovin' my Jimmy Lewis Black and Blue Machine 9'6" x 28", 117 liters.  Traditional noserider in every sense, flat rocker, 50/50 rails, wide concave nose, slight tail rocker and huge, hatchet fin.  What more could you ask for?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:46 AM »
Love the Fanatic Style Master
              Sunova Surf or for pure nose riding the STYLE

We have ZONER DEALS on these and we can ship easily

contact me if you have more questions

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing   

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »
I would love to ride either of those two Jim, they look like great picks.  Some other noserider specific shapes are Kings Crocodile and Infinity SUP Log.  Kalama's, Imagine longboards look like fun too.

Just a quick note; when I picked up my JL last year I thought it would be my go-to board.  Boy was I wrong.  Our waves are just not consistent enough for that to be the case and I find myself riding my 10' Icon or 7'10" Phoenix in our more usual, near closeout, beach break conditions.  The shape of the traditional noserider, including the 50/50 rails and slight tail kick, act to slow the board down and keep it in the curl which really only pays off when the conditions are right.  But, when it's on, south or SSE swell on our east facing shoreline, there is nothing like it, the locked-in feeling of the tail, total stability on the nose...surreal.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »
Dedicated nose-rider..Hmm.

+1 Bean, JL Black and Blue, Infinity SUP Log, King's Crocodile.

There are many other choices that you CAN noseride, but most are too fast! Had two Hobie CMLB that were great boards for performance longboarding but did not slooow down, stall, for true extended tip time.

I had the pleasure of owning a King's Crocodile which I traded to get back my 7'11" that I had sold..Nother story for a different day..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
 A nose rider's limerick.

I want a board so slow that I have to perch on the nose just to make it go.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
Just a quick note; when I picked up my JL last year I thought it would be my go-to board.  Boy was I wrong.  Our waves are just not consistent enough for that to be the case and I find myself riding my 10' Icon or 7'10" Phoenix in our more usual, near closeout, beach break conditions.  The shape of the traditional noserider, including the 50/50 rails and slight tail kick, act to slow the board down and keep it in the curl which really only pays off when the conditions are right.  But, when it's on, south or SSE swell on our east facing shoreline, there is nothing like it, the locked-in feeling of the tail, total stability on the nose...surreal.

That is also what I found out to be. I got my JL B&B 10'1" right after the big El Nino swell started.
The Black and Blue, with its soft 50/50 rails all the way around  is pulled along by the wave, riding in the water -
- excellent for noseriding slower waves; however, the El Nino waves are big and fast.  I traded out the big pivot fin
for various swept fins which helped on the steep drops.  I did, in fact, surf many large waves on my B&B but
several times I got closed out on - and I was sure I would have made it on a faster board.

So, when it is big and fast, I went back to using my Pearson Laird Surftech, which has hard rails in the back,
surfs on top of the water rather than in it and is faster.

They are both excellent boards and both noseride well but the B&B rides in the water while the Pearson Laird
planes above the water.  They feel different.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:22:25 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 10:30:17 AM »
They are both excellent boards and both noseride well but the B&B rides in the water while the Pearson Laird
planes above the water. 

Your description really helps to illustrate some of the differences between a classic noserider and a modern performance board. 

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
Just for fun....... not to confuse the Speeed as a noserider, but it does have an interesting ability to keep me happy in small waves
Here's a peek:

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:59 AM »
if you can already noseride, all of the above mentioned boards will work swell.  if you can't, then the JL stands a chance of allowing you to become somewhat better, as it (somewhat) has the fellow in parts of this vid:

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
The Sunova Speeed is the first board I've naturally felt comfortable stepping much forward of the handle on.  So much so,  that I'm thinking about putting some wax or a grippier surface of the nose and attempting some more intentional nose riding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 12:08:27 PM »
Sunova should come out with a beach break specific stick.  They could call it...wait for it... SonovaBeach ;D

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
Our Hammer model nose rides effortlessly...
We also just landed a container of new value priced production Hammers at $1099...

These are vacuum bagged, painted epoxy boards with bamboo veneer top and bottom...light, strong, and bright...
Additionally, they come with premium bamboo honeycomb sandwich fin sets...and, a big wave rated leash with safety quick disconnect...

Also available with Australian Pine veneer...two toned brushed carbon...and, made in USA custom variations in epoxy, vacuum bagged wood veneers, carbon, or hybrid carbon...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2013/11/the-ultimate-sup-noserider.html

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/california-custom-series

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
Sunova should come out with a beach break specific stick.  They could call it...wait for it... SonovaBeach ;D

actually , I  think  that  is  where  the  name  came  from .

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
+1 for JL B&B. Now, I only ride it in mostly waist high waves and these are slow, crumbly Folly Beach waves, so it's ideal. Any sort of beachbreak or chop and I go grab my Hokua.

I'm by no means that skilled at noseriding, but this board helps a lot as long as you ride it as intended. When I e-mailed Jimmy back and forth before purchasing it, he stressed it's not for everyone and you really have to pivot turn it (as everyone has said on here). So, you can cheat and turn a bit from the middle of the board but it generally doesn't feel smooth. However, when you get a solid pivot turn in and start cross-stepping up the board it feels so smooth. It's really cool how once you are in the black at the top third the concave sucks onto the  wave and speeds up.

Great board, probably my favorite board right now, it's really satisfying to take small waves and have a blast on them. Highly recommend.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard