Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 216709 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #360 on: July 30, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
This is exciting.  How heavy is this?  It sure looks like you could eventually modify to do some kind of CAD dovetail slide or similar to connect the sections and then perpendicular carbon dowels.  Print, assemble, ride.

Sorry I didn't Waigh it and just left for France. Yes with enough cad skills the joints could be quite sophisticated and cool with out complicating the manufacturing. It's tempting to build a second printer that could do each half in one go.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
I assume you printed the wingtip vertically, without supports. If so it's surprising that it came out as well as it did. I've always found that unsupported overhangs misprint someplace, usually near the greatest bend. The plastic slumps a little while it's still hot and the next pass is trying to print on air. That came out extremely well for a first try. One of the guys here in the Gorge is 3d printing wings. I saw him and his wife and kids at the Sand Bar Cafe yesterday. If I had seen this picture before that I would have grilled him for some technique. His wings look like castings. He might be using a service instead of his own printer. The first one I looked at of his looked like 10 microns or maybe some kind of solvent smoothing.

It was printed in 3 parts vertically so when it got to the tip that was almost orizontal so just the tip had supports. I let the slicer split it in to bits to print. Next time I would try print the first part as large as posable and make the tip as small as posable to reduce the amount of support and reduce print time. The problem is visible in the slicer so the problem is defiantly in the cad, I'm not sure why exactly.

My plan is to glass over the top so not to worries about how smooth it was but maybe it is posable to just print and go. Even at 50microns it would be fine to use as is, if you use abs you can do vapour smoothing with acatone for a shiny surface
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:24:05 AM by supuk »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:46:52 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2017, 06:47:05 AM »
You may as well order a printer bill there is a 7 week wait on them so should arrive just as you have convinced yourself.

They almost have me and I don't have anything to build with it...yet. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 31, 2017, 06:54:02 AM »
I was very well restrained and held my promise to myself that I would not get one until I could use cad to which I surprisingly held to, I don't encourage this sort of behaviour however. There is so much cool things you can make :)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
I was very well restrained and held my promise to myself that I would not get one until I could use cad to which I surprisingly held to, I don't encourage this sort of behaviour however. There is so much cool things you can make :)

What are you using for software?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2017, 12:48:45 PM »

What are you using for software?

Fusion360 for cad and slic3r for the print g code which is also free

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
You may as well order a printer bill there is a 7 week wait on them so should arrive just as you have convinced yourself.

They almost have me and I don't have anything to build with it...yet.

If nothing else you can make a chess set. And toys for Carseat, Chloe, and maybe Shannon.

Oh, and by the way, it is Lars. I swear I met this guy fifteen years ago and he looked exactly the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1JeUQM4GSA&feature=em-lss
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:32:32 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »
Admin, that's why I started the Fusion360 thread, it's just too fun. But I'm in the same boat, nothing I'd really build just yet and don't need more "stuff" so I'll probably get a small one to learn on and pay to print bigger stuff.

UK, I started a rough version of the Naish Malloy style with more of a delta style and straighter lines. That one would probably print pretty well and the downturned tips could mostly print flat. Should be easy to get into 4 pieces.

I'm just a beginner so I'm struggling to get the compound curve of a foil with anhedral really nice yet but every session I learn new techniques and it's truly fun to learn.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 31, 2017, 11:30:20 PM »
Yes it gets a little harder doing the compound stuf you have to draw the outline and the dihedral then turn it into a 3D curve and then use that as a rail. I tried using sweep but that is what I thing have the problems so will have to try lofting again but I was geting problems with that too. I messaged Lars a while ago to see if he could do a video on drawing wings but haven't seen one yet, maybe a few outhers could help persuade him.  I have allso been looking for a thicker foil to use I think the Takuma air foil works out about 14% thick which is quite fat.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:04 AM »
I'll buzz Lars too, I was wondering.

If you search for how to do a bend there's a a tutorial making an eyeglass earpiece that got me started on the dihedral (anhedral?) it's all pretty counter intuitive sometimes but once you learn a technique it leads to another.

Here's a link.

https://youtu.be/hicToIPxYJI

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Hey all,

I received my CNC cassettes from supuk yesterday (thanks Charlie!). Finally going to convert my 7'6" JP Surf Slate to foil and also windfoil. I imagine it might need more reinforcement due to the dual use for windfoiling.

I'm not diy so I'll be taking it to a local shaper on Hatteras Island and wanted to have an idea of what people thought regarding installation. I'm asking for thoughts about  1) layup 2) placement. Also any idea on what kind of weight this should add?

Here are the cassettes made from HD foam that have cnc cutouts for Futures oneshot 10.75" longboxes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »
Yeah, I'd get all carried away if I was doing it for windfoil--lots more force possible. It's a very precise piece, so if your pro is good, he shouldn't need fill. So I'd do 4oz or 6oz satin glass on the bias under the insert and under the mast tracks. Sand everything flat and bag on 6oz carbon, probably full width, also on the bias, and 4oz glass any old way just for sanding. But that's me. Satin glass conforms really well and laying it on the bias gives strength in all directions. 90-degree alignment puts minimum strength at 45 degrees, which is where a lot of the force from the sail and foil drag will resolve to.

You could certainly use just a diamond-shaped patch instead of going full width. That has the advantage of not creating two stress risers across the board. If you go full width and you break the board, that's where the break line would be. But you're more likely to rip the foil out than break the board, so I'd opt for full width.

Placement depends on your foil. The aft placement of Windfoils is just because there's already a Tuttle box there. Windfoils are designed to use that, so they have a long fuselage that moves the front foil forward. If you're using a GoFoil just follow their placement directions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:31:06 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
Just a note first the insert you pictured was my origanel test in xps and the ones you have are a far higher quality PET foam

I have not yet done a windsurf install but all my paddle board ones I have done I have just put a layer of 6oz under and then the the two layers of 6oz for the lam and a 6oz patch over the top.

I have done them without the glass under and they have been fine but no harm adding a little when installing.

I think the loads when paddleing are generally not going to be super high it more the constant little side to side forces that will be acting when paddleing around.

For windsurfing I'm not to sure, maybe double the glass up around the bottom

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:32:40 PM by supuk »

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
Since you can now 3D print foil plugs (I assume the printed foils are plugs) how about adding tubercules to the leading edge? I think low speed paddleboard foils are a perfect application for tubercules: Lowish speed, frequent AOA changes, turbulent water. Particulary after seeing the thickness of that Takuma foil.

had this one hangin round for a while now, maybe its time to try it. I'm skeptical as far as i can see they are only beneficial in post stall operation, in normal pre stall flight they are only drag. not as bad for a whale that weighs 30 tons.. we will soon find out i guess.
its a bit thin at the moment but nothing a few layers of carbon and a bit of bog cant sort out, the big question is what foil section to go with the tubercles, your standard humpback whale fin section is pretty shit

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal