Author Topic: Leap of Faith - SIC FX 14????  (Read 43427 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leap of Faith - SIC FX 14????
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »
My dealer will post a a short video review of the board later today.  I will re-post the link when I see it.   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

CascadeSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
Here is a first look from Big Winds at the production FX14 and Starboard All Star

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »
But I imagine that living where you do, and having the money that you do, you probably haven't had to buy many production boards so you might not realise how lucky you are having access to one of the finest custom board builders in the world, even if they do get busy sometimes.

I'm thrilled with the kind of access I have, though I haven't actually bought a new board in a long time. It's not just SIC. Between Maui and Hood River a guy can get incredibly spoiled. I did a downwinder today with Jimmy Lewis, surfed a few days ago with Bill Foote, Mark Raaphorst, Dave Peterson and Dave Kalama. Dropped in at Nelson Boardworks a few days ago and shot the shit with Mark. Haven't stopped in to see Matt Kazuma Kinoshita, or Sean Ordonez, or Jeff Timpone in a while, but they are all literally ten minutes from my house.

So yeah, we all get a little jaded here, and it's kind of nutty, but that's Maui. Kind of like SoCal but much more concentrated.

FWIW, My goto quiver-killer surfboard is a production Bill Foote. The only custom board I have in Hood River is my L41.  Lots to be said for production boards.

Oh, and I really like the FX14. If I was going to get an 14 that would be the guy, though I'd have to try some of Jimmy's boards too. They're looking pretty slick.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:21:29 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2016, 12:24:25 AM »
Pleeeeease don't start a discussion on volumes and rider weights lol!

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2016, 07:11:26 AM »
Pleeeeease don't start a discussion on volumes and rider weights lol!

Already been brought up more than once earlier in this thread. No need to revisit:)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
So, what do you think is the ideal weight range for the FX at 290L? :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:58:09 AM by Area 10 »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2016, 11:38:13 AM »

Due to friction and proven twitchiness calculations, I have concluded the ideal weight is 188.7 pounds.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »
We got both of our FXs today.  Heading out tomorrow to test them.  As has been noted, quite a lot of volume.  Slight concave bottom with very, very sharp rails running from tail through middle section.  Thats where the stability is going to come from.  The bottom shape on these boards actually reminds me of a 2015 board, the Focus Bluefin, which is also exceptionally stable.  The Bluefin carries the rails further forwards and has more volume in the nose, but overall is similar in many respects.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »

Due to friction and proven twitchiness calculations, I have concluded the ideal weight is 188.7 pounds.
Thank you for that. Sounds about right. I wish they made a left-handed one though.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »

Thank you for that. Sounds about right. I wish they made a left-handed one though.
I heard they are considering making one, called the SIC FX Port.  They were thinking of making a right-handed version but just couldn't get past the name.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »
Raf, I will be watching for your review. With interest.  I should have my 14 on Tuesday, if the delivery goes as planned. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »
PDX, that's actually the 400L version and it's the FX14 Portly. I suggested Husky, but they thought that name was a dog.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
We got both of our FXs today.  Heading out tomorrow to test them.  As has been noted, quite a lot of volume.  Slight concave bottom with very, very sharp rails running from tail through middle section.  Thats where the stability is going to come from.  The bottom shape on these boards actually reminds me of a 2015 board, the Focus Bluefin, which is also exceptionally stable.  The Bluefin carries the rails further forwards and has more volume in the nose, but overall is similar in many respects.

Raf, how about an FX14 VS. Bluefin 14 comparison?
in progress...

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
Had the board out today in about 18 mph winds, dying to 10 by end of the 5.5 mile run.  Although we had what seemed like very ridable bumps leaving, we were also battling a strong ebb tide, which makes everything worse.
Like many of you, I was hoping this board would be a quiver killer.  But as a retailer, I guess I'm happy to report that its probably not.

First, the board in carbon is very light, like all SIC carbons.  Well worth the extra $, imo.  The new paint jobs with white rails along the middle where your paddle can scrape is a good idea to keep the boards looking better longer. 
The board is VERY stable.  I was expecting it to be, but was still surprised.  The deck is not completely flat, with enough of a raised edge to keep you from stepping off the board.  Not that you will need to move all that much...the board is that stable. 
I am very familiar with both the Bullet V2 and the X-14/12 boards.   I would put this board somewhere in between the 2.  It does not downwind as well as the V2.  I missed bumps I felt I would have caught with the V2.  On the other hand, I did the entire run without falling once, which I haven't managed to do before.  On the X-14 I would have been falling every 5 minutes.  The FX made it very easy, comfortable, and fast.  Because the board is so narrow and stable, you can paddle naturally without tiring. 
In confused ocean racing conditions, this board should be faster than the X-14 simply because of the stability.  99% of your focus is on paddling better, rather than wasting resources on maintaining balance. 
I need to spend some time paddling the board in a non-downwind situation to really be able to give a proper review.  I had a minor love affair with the x-12 for ocean paddling last summer once I learned to relax on the board.  I suspect the FX-12 will be faster than the X-12 about half the time. 
If you can only have 1 board, The FX is going to be a great compromise between the V2 and the X-Series.  But it is a compromise, and will only be the best option some of the time. 

disclosure: I am not a great downwind paddler and its very possible that in more skilled hands this board will behave differently.  I'm guessing the board will feel more slippery in 25 plus mph. 

Raf

PS. if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 05:20:32 PM by raf »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal