Author Topic: Sunova Speeed 9'5" in California  (Read 8378 times)

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova Speeed 9'5" in California
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
First 9’ 5” Sunova Speeed in the States, or so I’m told…

I have lots of balance work to do before I’m on a 8’ 10” Speeed at 67 years old…  I’m only 59 y.o. and this is the SHORTEST board I’ve ever ordered.

Big Shout Out to JimK for getting me on time, safe delivery from Oz to California!

The board looks awesome, very light at 18 lbs.  Nice pad, with built in stomp pad in the back. Mast insert just in case…

Now all I need is some swell! 
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Speeed 9'5" in California
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Hey, Paul,

Congrats.

I guess IRideYellow (Vick) has one on order, too, at 8'10"(???).  Guess we get to hear how they handle L41 waves.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
I  hope  you  like  it  as  much  as  I  like  my  8 10 , which  is  the  first  one  in  California   (I  think  ). Today  I  tested  its lower  limit  and  was  quite  impressed .

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
Cool...nice pics. Looking forward to hearing the ride report.

Got one coming from JimK as well...same size. Hoping in a month or two.

Pretty light for a 9'5" as well.

Have fun on it!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Nice!

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 01:33:41 PM »
I  hope  you  like  it  as  much  as  I  like  my  8 10 , which  is  the  first  one  in  California   (I  think  ). Today  I  tested  its lower  limit  and  was  quite  impressed .

Tom - couldn't wait for swell so I went out this morning to get it wet.  1 foot ankleslappers.  So I was testing 'lower limit' as well.  My observations:

1.  I caught most every wave I tried for.
2.  The ones I didn't catch taught me to wait/position myself better
3.  Very stable and maneuverable, I didn't fall (much)
4.  Wide nose does seem to 'get on top' quickly (I remembered Bert's video 'Speeed' commentary)
5.  Wide nose is VERY THIN; not really much mass to muscle around
6.  I'm gonna love this nose flip - sometimes gets steep around here and this is gonna wanna stay on top
7.  Finish is really nice
8.  Pad is soft & comfortable
9.  Rails do travel 'under water' though I doubt this adds to stability
10.Carry handle has a thoughtfully placed finger hole to lift it up if it wants to stick (I have a little piece of cord on Mama's PSH All-Rounder to address that issue)
11.I had no issue with the rounded deck; it sheds water quickly this way as well
12.I had a blast on a little day - I was surprised I could ride such little stuff w/out my 12' 'Queen Mary'
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
post some sectional pictures of the  bottom and tail and nose how do the  concaves flow throughout.     what kind of volume are you looking at?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:06:38 AM »
Scruz,
Have you  you posted any further reviews on your 9'5 " speed ? I have been looking some. If not, can you ? Especially since you have 3 boards of similar size. Where does the speed fit in your quiver along with the triton ? I'm sure you have had it out in some good waves by now. I am very interested in its upper limits, and what waves you like it in best. Thanks

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Hi DC
I don't want to jump SC's thread here, so I'll put a link to my 9'5 Speeed review thread.
There is a video with some surfing after the 90 sec still pic intro:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,28733.0.html

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 11:54:49 PM »
Hi Creek,
Thanks for the reply. I have been following your reviews too. I think I am sold on sunovo, because there construction seems superior. But do I get the speeed, or a more traditional shape like the soul or flow. So now that you have been riding the soul a bit, where do these 2 boards excell. ?
I could answer all my questions if I could demo these, but I live and surf in Washington state. I don't think there are any sunovos here. I am an average surfer, surfing average waves most of the time. But sometimes our waves get really good, and I want a board that that can handle those. Mostly a fast beach break that I think would be great for the speeed. And well overhead is my favorite. I am also bigger than average at 6'6" tall and 280lb.and a lifelong surfer, windsurfer, kitesurfer.
So I guess my big question is when the waves are good size, and realativly steep and fast, is the speeed your board of choice ?

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:55:22 AM »
DC, how old are you?
Because those are big numbers for the Sunova's..... youth would help.

The 9'5 Speeed at 160 and Soul at 150 L, put you close to pro level balance.
But the Speeed is more stable, size for size, so if you went stock, the 9'5 Speeed wins.

What do you ride now?
JimK paddled my 9'5 Speeed in flat-water. Jim is bigger than you and it was fine.... but it was basically under water.

Maybe you should talk to Bert about making a larger Speeed or Soul for you.

If bigger I lean towards the Soul in your case, because the Speeed at that size may be pushing the width a bit????

The Soul surfs more traditionally, the Speeed offers some special sauce. Both will handle well OH

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
I don't want to circumvent STC he's got the knowledge
I'm almost 40# heavier than you So the 9'5 Speeed could be a good option. There are 2 factors I would consider

1) What are you riding now? (Length & Volume)
2) Do ride off your back foot or more forward?

If this is confusing PM or email me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »
 Creek and Jimk, thanks for the replies.
Yea,  I am looking for a board with some special sauce !!
Me, I am 57yo., I ride a starboard whopper.10'x34", 168ltr. This board works very well for me. From small mush,to some really good waves. But you Definatly feel it's width when on faster waves. But it still works. Good waves to me are head high to DoH. Don't get DoH very often, but when we do, I want the board to handle.
 But, I have snapped 2 of these boards, that is why I am drawn to sunovo construction. I was going to go custom until you told us about sunovo. I think they are stronger than a custom.
 I don't think I want to go bigger than the 9'5". I rode a wide point 9'5 x32",150ltr and was comfterble on it. And I don't think I  want to go any smaller than 150ltr either.
Between the speeed and the soul, witch  one catches the wave best ? Do you like both boards when the waves are good and they just surf different ? Like the soul might be looser, and the speeed goes down the line fast ? It sounds like both will handle my waves better than my whopper. And my waves arnt that challenging to ride, but getting out to them is very challenging.  Brutally challenging.
I wish I could demo these, then I could answer my own questions.
 Thanks

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 04:28:50 AM »
Hi DC
My choice is clear. The Speeed is the best board I have ever ridden. In everything.
But I like to surf with my back foot near the tail.
The Speeed does not need to be ridden with your foot on the kicker, but it must be turned from behind the sidebite (right where the "Bump down" is)

The Special sauce on the Speeed is a combo of the channels, Flyer reduction in the rail and rocker at the hip
These give the Speeed the tightest little carve..... and links the turns together without stalling.
The Speeed is the smoothest board, at linking turns that I have ever ridden.

BUT..... some people don't feel any of the Speeed magic, because they prefer to surf more forward on their boards.
These people will like the Soul or Flow better, because the outline curve allows turning more from the middle.

The Soul is tippier size for size

If you are happy on the 9'5 Wide point, then you will be fine on the 9'5 Speeed.
The wide nose gives this board a distinct stability advantage over pointy boards.

The Speeed is faster. looser, carves better, more stable, easier to paddle into waves. Good in crappy little waves or bigger stuff.

The only advantage that the Soul offers in my book, is that it is Pointy..... and many people prefer pointy.
The Soul drives nicely down the line, and handles a hard turn well.

Yesterday I took the Soul out 1st in some nice OH stuff in RI
I wanted to see how hard I could push it...it was fun, drew nice lines and has plenty of speed.....
But after a while I was wishing it wasn't such a long round trip back to the van..... I would have preferred my Speeed (both were the 9'5"s)

As for getting out..... if I have a lot of whitewater to go through, The Speeed is best again.
I simply stay on my knees, and the nose lifts up and over reasonable walls of soup.... and stays stable doing it because of the wide nose.
It paddles straight and fast, so it's a winner all around on getting outside.
If you absolutely have to paddle out standing, the scoop nose can be a danger, because it will lift up very fast and smack you in the face if you are not ready for it.
My hamstrings are sensitive to pulls, so I don't challenge them with boards to the face much. Knees are safer for me when going over large whitewater.

I will be riding my 9'5 Speeed today  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I watched Johnny Maya's video on the Speeed last winter.
I studied it for weeks.... broke it down frame by frame
I saw everything I need to know..... I wanted that board.
There were NONE in the US...... I pleaded with Tino "how do I get one of these boards!!!!!"
Thankfully, Tino agreed to ship one to me by air. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
It was exactly like I knew it would be, from that video..... and I have never been let down by it.

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »
Creek,
That is an awesome  description  of how it rides. I see now why you asked how I like to ride, back or forward. I tend to ride a bit forward on my board because that is what my board wants me to do, and I am usually racing a quick beach break chasing the sections. And my board just doesn't like to redirect. So as long as the speeed can race down the line, I will love getting back and turning it.
 I am glad you love the speeed. I knew you were trying the other sunovos so I was very interested in the comparison. Now we know.
As for getting out thru whitewash,  it is brutal here. Relentless wash on the inside until you get outside. And I am never on my knees. That is one reason the. Square noses have never appealed to me. But I think I can deal with it. My current board has a pretty fat nose. I hope the pros will out weigh cons.
 Thanks for your info.  I am sure I'll  be on one soon

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard