Author Topic: Fishing SUP Recommendations  (Read 24456 times)

Jim Gerst

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fishing SUP Recommendations
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:02:29 AM »
I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations for plans for a diy build in wood strip or otherwise for a board to by used primarily for flats fishing but could also work in calm ocean water as well.  I am new to this but have much experience with wood.  Please in lighten me.
Thanks

SUP_pauly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fishing SUP Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »
Check out the Kaholo SUP board kit from Chesapeake Light Craft.  The kit and plans look pretty good.

Paul
14' Tahoe Zephyr
12'6" Red Paddle Co Explorer
12'6" Red Paddle Co Race

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
Can't tell you who has plans for the best.  After fishing quite a bit on mine and others, I can tell you what I like.  You say for flats fishing wish I do a lot of.  I also sight cast and stalk fish where small sounds spook fish easily.   

I have a Cayo that I fish off of.  I think there are some photos of it in the fishing section. i have a first generation board and they now have a second generation board. Both grreat designs for flats fishing.  I have seen the Dragonfly board and these also look real good for flats fishing.  Both of these boards have very a pronounced V in the nose that are dead quiet in small chop where sound is a factor.  Flatter longboard nose type board will chatter in any kind of chop that will spook fish way before you are in casting range. 

Width on these boards is around 34 inches and that seems like a good width for the stability. The boards still have adequate speed. I have paddled mine for miles at a time. Keep the tail wide and don't pull it in. It does not need it. Keep it wide for stability.

ANy other questions, let me know and I will see if I can help.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
It takes a quiver to do that.

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Well whatever you go with, hopefully it turns out a bit better than this one I saw!
https://savannah.craigslist.org/spo/5043483385.html
 :)
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

canadianhoser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
I'm in the finishing stages of building my 12 1/2' Kaholo. I can't wait to try it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canadianhoser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
It's really a glorified model with everything pre-cut if you get the full kit. If you're handy with tools, you should have no issue putting it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Gerst

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:25:41 PM »
Thank You  all for your input, I really appreciate your takining the time to try and help me out , its very encouraging to have the helpful,experienced, person give there thoughts on what they have experienced.
Thanks

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
Is it really the board or the fisherman?
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Awesome-Sup-Fisherman/
awwww, just luck but.....Hey, Creek is in that thread.  :)

Nice Kaholo you got going there Sir Hoser from the North. 

The Kaholo would work well. I built a 14', am 215 lbs and have fished off of it quite often for a few years tho it seems less every season. It is quiet when stalking fish for sure and you want that kind of a nose as Ninja says for stalking but when it is REALLY choppy, I don't care for it much, the Kaholo anyway as it can be rather squirrely and seems to get pushed around but it would be a good place to start for certain for something to build. The kit is really pretty easy and you can personalize it about however you can think up. I buried some support for a scotty mount in mine tho have not used it. I would actually really like to build one that is an inch or two wider with maybe a bit rounder rails and a tad rounder on the bottom of the nose tho I am not certain how that would relieve the.....pushiness without offsetting something else nor how you would do that in the kit format. I guess you could possibly soften some of the lines up tho it seems the sharper edges lends itself ease to the stitch and glue of the kit format.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:43:15 PM by lucabrasi »

sicktwist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations for plans for a diy build in wood strip or otherwise for a board to by used primarily for flats fishing but could also work in calm ocean water as well.  I am new to this but have much experience with wood.  Please in lighten me.
Thanks

Any progress to report on the wood fishing SUP?  I recently got an inflatable Bote Drift that is geared towards fishing and I have to say it is a lot of fun.  Have yet to catch anything from it yet, but the few times I have been out to fish on it the conditions were rather unfavorable.  Somehow I get stuck working on the great days  :(

Sliver

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Sliver Paddleboards
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
Did you find a suitable board for fishing?

I do not make a fishing specific board at this time. If there is nothing already available I am happy to design one with your input for free.

Onthefly

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
Thanks

Not sure if you are still looking for a board, I just posted a board in the classifieds.  This company is insane when it comes to fishing SUPS

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
Is it really the board or the fisherman?
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Awesome-Sup-Fisherman/
awwww, just luck but.....Hey, Creek is in that thread.  :)

Nice Kaholo you got going there Sir Hoser from the North. 

The Kaholo would work well. I built a 14', am 215 lbs and have fished off of it quite often for a few years tho it seems less every season. It is quiet when stalking fish for sure and you want that kind of a nose as Ninja says for stalking but when it is REALLY choppy, I don't care for it much, the Kaholo anyway as it can be rather squirrely and seems to get pushed around but it would be a good place to start for certain for something to build. The kit is really pretty easy and you can personalize it about however you can think up. I buried some support for a scotty mount in mine tho have not used it. I would actually really like to build one that is an inch or two wider with maybe a bit rounder rails and a tad rounder on the bottom of the nose tho I am not certain how that would relieve the.....pushiness without offsetting something else nor how you would do that in the kit format. I guess you could possibly soften some of the lines up tho it seems the sharper edges lends itself ease to the stitch and glue of the kit format.

Maybe just drop the rails? Make a "chine" around the deck to drop the rails by an inch or two.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 07:15:48 AM »
I'm using my good old Starboard Coast Runner for fishing. Started SUP fishing end of last season and only caught a blue fish and a couple of bunker fish so far off the SUP. I'm sure I'll get some more this year. Didn't fall off yet. Was thinking of adding a rod mount in the back and just dragging the lure behind me... till something bites an I fall off the front  ;D. That way I'd get a workout while fishing at the same time.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »
I have been wondering about a fishing SUP as well, thanks for starting this thread.

The standamaran or dual hull seems like it would be more stable and easier to paddle at the same width as a blown up SUP.  Every really wide SUP I have been on is a beast to paddle.

Anyone have any experience?   

Also something like a Pattino, a stand up row boat, seems great for fishing.  Anyone tried one?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal