Author Topic: Nose Rider SUP to complement Allwave  (Read 15497 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Nose Rider SUP to complement Allwave
« on: December 08, 2014, 06:09:55 PM »
I'm riding a 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9'2" right now, 180 lbs, mostly in knee to head high waves. I love the board and it's stability and feel very confident on it in most any wave at my local break.

My question is that I used to longboard, and while I can ride the nose a bit on the AW, it's not really made for that. So I'm looking for an inexpensive 2nd board for smallish waves (knee to waist) that I can work on nose-riding with. Any suggestions?

I don't need a performance board, just something that is stable, tracks well, and is stable enough to walk up the nose.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nose Rider SUP to complement Allwave
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
The Starboard Drive is definitely one for that task...

Full nose, concave under the nose for lift..

Really fun...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
At 240#, I didn't have the variety of choices you do for a noserider, but I know my shaper pretty well and was able to work with him on a custom after a number of demo tries on other boards.  I wanted well-dispersed volume, minimal rocker, single to double concave, all essentially what I had on my go to board, but with more length, less width, and a precise volume to keep the corky feel to a minimum.  You may want to consider a custom that takes the stability of the allwave and stretches it out with a purpose built nose.

Also, See http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=19576.0

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »
The Hammer will exceed your expectations...in these pics we are only using my quad + 1 (StubNub) to nose ride...and the tail stays glued to the wave...no need for a big honking traditional nose rider center fin...so cool when you scoot up on the nose and the Hammer accelerates...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

We call it the the ultimate SUP nose rider...here's Al piloting an 8'11":

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2013/11/the-ultimate-sup-noserider.html

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
I weigh 175 and really, really like my Jimmy Lewis 8'11" Striker.  Stable, turny, maintains speed on the wave nicely for nose riding.  Great on mushy waves (so I don't need a mini Simmons) and manageable on bigger stuff.  Nose riders are Jimmy Lewis' thing.  Not sure it's easy to find them inexpensively/used, tho. 

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:10 PM »
At 240#, I didn't have the variety of choices you do for a noserider, but I know my shaper pretty well and was able to work with him on a custom after a number of demo tries on other boards.  I wanted well-dispersed volume, minimal rocker, single to double concave, all essentially what I had on my go to board, but with more length, less width, and a precise volume to keep the corky feel to a minimum.  You may want to consider a custom that takes the stability of the allwave and stretches it out with a purpose built nose.

Goes without saying:

Dave Daum (Kings Paddle Boards) is a great SUP surfer and Hot Doggin Nose Rider...
Ralph
Sup-position

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
Dave Daum makes tremendous boards and has several varieties of noserider longboard. Crocodile, Dauminator, SS, and will work with you to get one that will work for you.

And his short boards ain't bad either!!

I will refrain from posting pictures. They are already here..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »
I almost got to the nose of my Foote 9'6" yesterday. I was there, I just chickened out. Kathy Shipman saw me and yelled at me to go for it, but the back started sliding and I bailed it. I used to be able to get to the nose of my Stewart 10'6" longboard. I don't need a different board, just need to get it in my head that I can do it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:03:15 AM »
I almost got to the nose of my Foote 9'6" yesterday. I was there, I just chickened out. Kathy Shipman saw me and yelled at me to go for it, but the back started sliding and I bailed it. I used to be able to get to the nose of my Stewart 10'6" longboard. I don't need a different board, just need to get it in my head that I can do it.
Amen..
Just get up there and do it..
Ralph
Sup-position

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 06:12:05 AM »
Nalu, Drive, JL striker good for that.......Striker can be thrown around in the surf too

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »

Goes without saying:

Dave Daum (Kings Paddle Boards) is a great SUP surfer and Hot Doggin Nose Rider...

Not taking anything away from Dave...just to clarify here that the nose rider custom that SlatchJim is referring to in the quote above is a 10'6" Hammer that I designed for him...it's the one on the right in these pics...the other is a 10' Hammer custom for a NorCal client...
Jim and his wifey also have 2 other custom Hammers that I designed for them...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/california-custom-series/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:47:47 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
Does anyone have any further opinions of the Starboard Noserider? Anywhere close to Charleston, SC or San Diego for a demo?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »
I have a Starboard Drive carbon, 2012, in San Diego.  I'd be happy to bring it out to the beach one day if you'd like to try it. 

I don't surf it that much lately because I'm trying to get better & go shorter & all that... but when I do bring it out, I tend to catch lots of waves easily & have a good time. 

/m 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

supthecreek

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
Might I suggest that you search "Starboard noserider" before you run out an buy one..... some strong opinions on that board.

I spent a long time looking for a great Longboard SUP... they are elusive.
It was more an exercise in finding what didn't work....
I didn't like any of the Starboards or the Laird too much
The Hobie RAW was ok, but not a noserider.... too fast to stay up there for long.

I am very much looking forward to riding a JL Striker, it sounds like the real deal.

I have the 10'6 Alana (Nalu)... and while I spend a lot of time on the nose, it is  not a "tip" rider, but respectable.
It is the best all around longboard SUP I found. It handles everything with class.

He's a bit of 10'6 Alana action this winter... very capable... an excellent board.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to hear you think the JL is a good noserider creek. I watched Jimmy plant himself on the nose wave after wave the one time I was on the water with him and Bill says that's what he likes to do most of the time. Very stylish noserider, fun to watch.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal