Author Topic: Lazy Day Surfing my Naish Javelin  (Read 3284 times)

Twitchy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lazy Day Surfing my Naish Javelin
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
http://youtu.be/WyWh6isz4aE

I find it more fun to get out in the surf on my race board more so than my SUS boards lately.   ;D
14' Niash Javelin MC
9'6" JL B&B
9'2" NSP Cocomat-beater board
7'4" Starboard Pro

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lazy Day Surfing my Naish Javelin
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »
Not too forgiving on cut backs, but fun to try to turn really big boards. Thanks for sharing.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
Fun!....I surf my 14'er fairly often. I love getting way, way outside and catching waves before they even begin to peak...always brings a smile for the long rides and I love the looks I get...especially from the shortboarders.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
Looks like fun.  With the lack of surf here, I've been on my 14' almost exclusively for over a month--and even with that there's not really any bumps worth catching.  It sure is fun to feel that thing take off though!  You've got me jonesing worse now!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
Great video,  twitchy! Shoals had been scouting some local spots and encouraging me to get out on my new 14 foot race board and try surfing.  I finally went out last night in some small sloppy conditions and had a blast on the couple waves I managed to catch.  I can't wait to try again in better conditions,  and I think it will force me to learn how to move around on my board.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
While the crowds compete for five second rides at the beach breaks, countless waves are going unridden and ignored. All it takes is the right board to take advantage of them.

A 14 footer can open up tons of new wave riding possibilities.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

MaineSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
Your last ride was great.
Coreban Dart 14'
SIC Bullet 14 V2
Sunova Speeed 9'2"
Red Sport 12'6"

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
I find it more fun to get out in the surf on my race board more so than my SUS boards lately.

I kinda feel the same way. I now really look forward to the days when it's knee to waist high. I just love taking out the 12'6" Coastal cruiser and being all by myself getting those long glides.

Been trying to save some money and get a 14' for the really, really small waves and trying some downwinders. Looking into a planning hull as opposed to a displacement but you seemed to move that board pretty well.

Twitchy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
It was a very unusual day here.  We just had a couple of days of good swell with so-so wind before.  But on this day we had almost no wind, glassy conditions.  And I was hoping to catch the back end of the swell period.  Which I did.  Nice sets of 2-4 footers, mostly 2-3 footers.  The ones I got clobbered on were the 4 footers that stood up on the inner bar. 

I was catching the swells about 300 to 400 yards offshore and riding them in with the hope of connecting them to the beach break.  The last wave did just that.  Sad as it may seem, that was probably the longest ride I ever had in my entire life :( 

But I did notice a spot waaay out there at a shoal near a floating channel marker.  The only reason I looked away over there was because about 10 years ago a few of us went out there and caught waves and literally wrestled sharks.   ;D  Anyway, there were a handful SUPer/SUSer and a jet ski :D  So I think 10 years ago I may have discovered our very own mini-Cortez Bank.  I'm pretty sure they were tow-in SUSing out there.  Mums the word here so far.  I asked a few people that were in the area and they all played dumb.  I'm guessing it's just so they don't give away the secret. ;D
14' Niash Javelin MC
9'6" JL B&B
9'2" NSP Cocomat-beater board
7'4" Starboard Pro

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
My 14' Vec is a great wave catcher and surfs amazing for such a big board. It's basically a 14' gun really. On long slowly sloping beaches the waves are perfect for it. One of the best for it around here is 1st beach in Newport. I've caught waves so far out it's silly. There are some bars pretty far out so you'll get peaks outside that then drop back down but you can carry enough speed paddling to ride the swell to the next peak and the next...all the way to the beach. They'll be a line of folks, shortboarders, longboarders and SUPs inside and I'll be 4 times as far out on the 14'..... ;)

My Vec is currently back with Vec getting a makeover...Larry A's twins and a ventral, all dings done, replace the leash plugs, add a handle, and a recoat..can't wait to get it back to see how the twins work downwind and surfing it. The ventral is for long distance with a small fin and adding super stability with a big fin for fishing...she's multi-purpose.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:53:47 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »
Says video has been removed?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal