Author Topic: Bubble Under Pad - Repair Ideas?  (Read 5283 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Bubble Under Pad - Repair Ideas?
« on: May 16, 2014, 06:21:30 AM »
I just got a used SIC - X14 SCC, which I love!!!  To my dismay, I noticed a good sized air bubble about 4 inches across on the left side of the pad that surfaces in the heat of the sun.  It is about half way in the standing area and subsides once cooled down.  It is bugging me and I would like to repair it, but I am not sure what to do.  Common sense tells me to use a turkey injector or something and shoot some glue up in there through a needle.  What kind of glue?  How much? However, I would rather hear from others on the Zone who may have some experience like this.  Maybe I should just leave it alone, try to keep it out of the sun and ride it like it is.  Maybe just piercing the pad with a small needle hole would allow the heated air to escape.  I would appreciate the benefit of any experiencess and advice that you may have.   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bubble Under Pad - Repair Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
Put a slit in with a utility knife (razor blade) and let the air out.  Hopefully it's still tacky underneath.

...The pad only...not delamination of the glass.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:25:45 AM by gtcali »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
Cut a tiny slit in the bubble and then you can put some glue under it.  Doesn't need much, even just the slit it self will help things out with it.  I had a Naish that had a few bubbles under the pad and I just pierced each one and that resolved the issue.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
If you cut it, then you better seal it or it will take on water.
--
Bill

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice.  So, if I cut it, what kinda of glue should I use.  And, if I am then to seal it, what should I use to seal it? 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
If it's still tacky underneath, you'll be fine. Just press it down.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:59:11 PM »
if its just the pad and you feel the need to repair it get a syringe and inject some thin epoxy under it and then obviously letting the air out then just place a weight on it to hold it down job done but tbh i would just stick a pin in it and let the air out.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 04:09:36 PM »
I had a few bubbles on a few boards....Fortunately, in my case, a little stab with a sewing needle and all is well. Good luck.

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »
I have been using 3M 5200 with success to repair areas of the pad that becomes delaminated . If your pad is not tacky, slice, dry, apply 5200 sparingly with Q-tip or such and apply uniform pressure. They make fast cure or slow. It's just messy to work with so careful trimming any excess that squeezes out. Acetone is about the only thing that will clean it up wet. They make a small squeeze tube that will last months. It is moisture cure so clean up the squeeze tube and replace cap without air gap or it will kick.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

SupSurfIsSurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
if its just the pad and you feel the need to repair it get a syringe and inject some thin epoxy under it and then obviously letting the air out then just place a weight on it to hold it down job done but tbh i would just stick a pin in it and let the air out.

I had to do this ^^^
Wavestorm 9'6" (Reitred)
Riviera nugg 9'2" (Retired)
Coreban Vibe 8'0" (Retired)
Infinity Blurr 8'2"
J Sleigh 7'4"
Beater Bord 9'0"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal