Author Topic: Surftech Generator v Nalu 11 4  (Read 5015 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Surftech Generator v Nalu 11 4
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
Well, seem to have narrowed my boards down to a AST Surftech 11 6 Generator or a GS Naish Nalu 11 4.

Looking to ride this in up to waist high waves and take on flat water/calm sea trips. I'm 90 kg plus a wettie. Got a shorter SUP for "decent" surf.

Can't decide between these two as they both have disadvantages/advantages and I can't demo either:

11 6 Generator: looks like a nice flatter rocker for small waves and trips, more width so stable as a table and looks great for catching the smallest ripples up to waist high. Downsides maybe that it is very much a small wave board so if you turn up and it is a big bigger it will be out of its comfort zone....that was the advice from someone who rides this board VERY well. Horrible carry handle and I have a long walk so from experience that is a pain!

Naish Nalu: looks like it can handle small and slightly bigger surf due to the rocker, popular so must be with good reason, fabby ergo handle ;D Not as wide so maybe better for flat water trips? Downsides - I can see the rocker is maybe quite pronounced - will all that belly make it a slower paddler than its length suggests?? Will it work as well as the Generator in smaller and weaker surf?

So......experiences from you guys would be welcome. The price is about the same as the Naish would be a 2012 version.

Help!!

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surftech Generator v Nalu 11 4
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »
The naish nalu is a pretty looking sexy slender young lady whose charms may abide much longer than some broader dame

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
The naish nalu is a pretty looking sexy slender young lady whose charms may abide much longer than some broader dame

I take it you have paddled that young lady a few times Gizzzee? Care to share a bit more more re your experiences with her?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:35:40 PM by coldsup »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
I have had an 11'6 Nalu for at least 4 yrs now. I don't ride it that much, but I always have fun on it. I'd sell any of my other boards, but I wouldn't sell that Nalu. The board is just a great all arounder. The extra rocker probably does slow it down a little in flat water, but it's a saving grace on a bottom turn. I don't think I've ever pearled that board. For longboard SUS'g, the 10'6 version is the best I've ever surfed. My friend has one, and it's the only board he rides. The whole board is thinner, the tail is pulled in, and it rides like a performer.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:07:12 PM »
I have had an 11'6 Nalu for at least 4 yrs now. I don't ride it that much, but I always have fun on it. I'd sell any of my other boards, but I wouldn't sell that Nalu. The board is just a great all arounder. The extra rocker probably does slow it down a little in flat water, but it's a saving grace on a bottom turn. I don't think I've ever pearled that board. For longboard SUS'g, the 10'6 version is the best I've ever surfed. My friend has one, and it's the only board he rides. The whole board is thinner, the tail is pulled in, and it rides like a performer.

You a big guy Talldude?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
6'7  240# and getting fatter by the moment.
It's not overhead to me!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
6'7  240# and getting fatter by the moment.

Superb! (Not about you getting fatter by the minute!) but you are a big chap high and weight so maybe the 10 6 is going to be okay for a 5ft 10, 200lbs chap. Most folk keep telling me the 10 6 is a better board but I get the doubts over the 30 wide because I had a 30 wide board before (okay it was 8ft 6 length) and ended up selling it for one the same length but 32 wide.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:44:33 AM »
I've ridden the Naish Nalus in various iterations over the last 4 years in 11-6, 11-4 and I own the 10-6. I've also ridden the Surftech Generators in various sizes, although much more briefly. The Naish boards are more sophisticated in my opinion, and are probably aimed at a slightly different market. The Generators IMO are boards more for people starting out, or for whom stability is the main thing they want. The Naish boards could be owned and enjoyed by anyone from those just past the learning stage (although the 11-6 would make a good learner board) right through to longboard-style experts.  The Generators are wider for their length so are very user-friendly, but I think are for smaller waves only. The Naish boards, if you have the skills, could be taken out in pretty much anything. I have had my 10-6 out in double overhead surf and it coped fine. I've even used the 11-6 in pretty sizeable surf and it was a hoot.

The 11-6 is a lot of board. But if you can really turn longboard-style, and you are not a lightweight, it may surprise you with what it can do. It makes a great relaxed cruiser or family board as well. I like big boards and I like that board. But I come from a longboard background so these sizes don't bother me. By contrast, I find that my friends from a windsurf background find these big boards extremely difficult - sometimes impossible - to handle and instead are always looking for the smallest board they can stand on. So it does depend a lot on what your skill set is.

A great deal has been written about the 10-6 Nalu. I don't think that if you are looking for a hugley stable board for long-distance mooching, and you are heavy, this would be ideal. It is stable for its size, but a 10-6x30" is never going to be as stable as a dock for a 200lb person in typical UK chop and wind. It is a lovely board though. Many of the people on this forum have no idea of the kind of crap we go out in in the UK! There are lots of people who write here who consider 15 knots a hoolie and are used to day after day of tranquil conditions like you get in Waikiki. As you will know, the reality here is very different. Where I live (on the south coast) we can go pretty much an entire month without the wind dropping below 15 knots... it gives a different perspective on stability and handling.

As you will know already, there is great fun to be had with a big board - as long as you have the skills to handle it. The skills for handling big boards are no less difficult to attain than are the skills for handing very small boards. But if you do have them, then to a large extent you don't need to fear getting a board that is too big. The question then is just "how much fun do you want to have?" But, having said this, if you have tried a big board recently and found you just couldn't turn it at all, then you are obviously going to be on a learning curve if you get one.

But stability and length is a wondrous thing if you just want to enjoy your SUPing rather than compete. These days I only ride longer boards, and I typically cover 7-10 miles in a surf session, and can access all manner of waves that my friends with short SUPs can't. I'm out enjoying uncrowded overhead waves a mile offshore, with rides in the 1 minute to 1:30 range, wondering what on earth they are thinking, choosing to thrash around 50m from shore avoiding other people (and surfers) on waist-high close-outs and 10-second rides. I don't get it. Maybe they just have to be where people can watch them. Maybe they are scared to surf alone or far from shore. Or maybe they are just being lured into buying boards that are too small for them to be able to do anything else... Go big, go large, go have massive fun!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 04:58:08 AM »
I've ridden the Naish Nalus in various iterations over the last 4 years in 11-6, 11-4 and I own the 10-6. I've also ridden the Surftech Generators in various sizes, although much more briefly. The Naish boards are more sophisticated in my opinion, and are probably aimed at a slightly different market. The Generators IMO are boards more for people starting out, or for whom stability is the main thing they want. The Naish boards could be owned and enjoyed by anyone from those just past the learning stage (although the 11-6 would make a good learner board) right through to longboard-style experts.  The Generators are wider for their length so are very user-friendly, but I think are for smaller waves only. The Naish boards, if you have the skills, could be taken out in pretty much anything. I have had my 10-6 out in double overhead surf and it coped fine. I've even used the 11-6 in pretty sizeable surf and it was a hoot.

The 11-6 is a lot of board. But if you can really turn longboard-style, and you are not a lightweight, it may surprise you with what it can do. It makes a great relaxed cruiser or family board as well. I like big boards and I like that board. But I come from a longboard background so these sizes don't bother me. By contrast, I find that my friends from a windsurf background find these big boards extremely difficult - sometimes impossible - to handle and instead are always looking for the smallest board they can stand on. So it does depend a lot on what your skill set is.

A great deal has been written about the 10-6 Nalu. I don't think that if you are looking for a hugley stable board for long-distance mooching, and you are heavy, this would be ideal. It is stable for its size, but a 10-6x30" is never going to be as stable as a dock for a 200lb person in typical UK chop and wind. It is a lovely board though. Many of the people on this forum have no idea of the kind of crap we go out in in the UK! There are lots of people who write here who consider 15 knots a hoolie and are used to day after day of tranquil conditions like you get in Waikiki. As you will know, the reality here is very different. Where I live (on the south coast) we can go pretty much an entire month without the wind dropping below 15 knots... it gives a different perspective on stability and handling.

As you will know already, there is great fun to be had with a big board - as long as you have the skills to handle it. The skills for handling big boards are no less difficult to attain than are the skills for handing very small boards. But if you do have them, then to a large extent you don't need to fear getting a board that is too big. The question then is just "how much fun do you want to have?" But, having said this, if you have tried a big board recently and found you just couldn't turn it at all, then you are obviously going to be on a learning curve if you get one.

But stability and length is a wondrous thing if you just want to enjoy your SUPing rather than compete. These days I only ride longer boards, and I typically cover 7-10 miles in a surf session, and can access all manner of waves that my friends with short SUPs can't. I'm out enjoying uncrowded overhead waves a mile offshore, with rides in the 1 minute to 1:30 range, wondering what on earth they are thinking, choosing to thrash around 50m from shore avoiding other people (and surfers) on waist-high close-outs and 10-second rides. I don't get it. Maybe they just have to be where people can watch them. Maybe they are scared to surf alone or far from shore. Or maybe they are just being lured into buying boards that are too small for them to be able to do anything else... Go big, go large, go have massive fun!

Brilliant post Area 10 - thanks.

I like big boards - had a 12 ft Gong NFA I learned on (their longboard style SUP ) and I could turn that fine onto a wave - longboarded myself before SUP. I did enjoy surfing that board but it was a tad heavy.

Maybe the 11 4 is a good compromise. Will check out prices....seems I wouldn't go wrong with a Nalu and if it doesn't float my boat there is a willing market for them. Heading out a long way out to surf a reef - sounds great but reckon I would crap myself on that one..certainly wouldn't have the experience to do that alone....but luckily my surfing is very rarely crowded...in fact on the busiest days there is plenty space where I surf...nice to have a wee bit of company at times!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:35:17 AM by coldsup »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »
I've had a few 11'4'' Nalu's and a couple of the new 10'6'' Nalu's.. I'm 95 kgs.. I'd recommend the new 10'6'' over the old 11'4'' for sure.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
I've had a few 11'4'' Nalu's and a couple of the new 10'6'' Nalu's.. I'm 95 kgs.. I'd recommend the new 10'6'' over the old 11'4'' for sure.

DJ - I don't think I can get the same deal for the 10 6. Can do quite well on a 11 4 though from a couple of years back. If I was after a one board quiver reckon the 10 6 would be it but reckon a bit longer would be good...but the 11 6 too much for me. 180 volume is a nice size.....had a SUP about that before.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »
The Naish boards are more sophisticated in my opinion, and are probably aimed at a slightly different market.
I totally agree. The 11'6 Nalu has a higher level of versatility and quality, but it's in the entry level user market. The 10'6 is probably the best non-custom high performance longboard SUP available.
It's not overhead to me!

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
Deal has been done on the 11 4 Nalu. Thanks folks for all the help/advice...I think it will do the job fine.

Some good sized surf due tomorrow so day off work....fingers crossed the wind behaves and doesn't turn it into the usual mush/mess. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal