Author Topic: My First Paddle Blade Delam Repair  (Read 2686 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
My First Paddle Blade Delam Repair
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »
Someone we know abuses his poor paddle. I felt sorry for the paddle, so I fixed it. Seeing I've never repaired a paddle blade, why not try on some sucker. So here is the progression with out saying much..... ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My First Paddle Blade Delam Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
Your welcome Dave........
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
I did one of these a while ago. My Chinese carbon old paddle delammed and then it split up the blade. I got it back together and reasonably smooth but yours looks way nicer.

Can't say it enough, everyone should play with some epoxy now and then. It's a ball.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »
ooops..... 2 days too late for me.... otherwise, I would have borrowed your idea about covering the blade with tape before pouring epoxy all over it :-[

I split mine by chopping ice and generally beating the crap out of it constantly.

The entire bottom and one whole side opened up when a small rock spread them apart.

I did the same... slow cure epoxy mix, clamped with the thin end of wooden shingle slats and longnose vice grips, adjusted for gentle but firm pressure.

Came out good as new..... except some runs of epoxy and bits of wooden shingle that got glued to the blade.... I'll have to sand and polish those bits.... but not before I go surfing this morning ;)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Creek, a cheap roll of masking tape, makes a glass job clean and easy. Just peel and and sand the transition. You're done.
It's not overhead to me!

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Matt,
Dave is having a hard tim logging on for some reason...so he asked me to convey his appreciation for the awesome job.

We were hanging out the other day and Dave showed us his delammed paddle.  Matt said "I can fix it!" so Dave thanked him and handed it over. Then Matt said, "I've always wanted to take a shot at fixing a paddle, this will be good practice."

It was looking like that old AAMCO commercial where the local auto repair guy says "Sure we can fix you up, I've always wanted to work on a transmission", then he turns it over to a bunch of monkeys who start whanging on the engine with whiffle bats.

Matt did a fantastic job though, no one doubted him for a second, well maybe not for two seconds anyway. It looks and feels as good as new. You may have opened a can of worms as the equipment down at SanO is starting to look a little long in the tooth and the word is out on your artistry with the epoxy.

Dan 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34:47 PM »
I work for food. 'Haaamburger Please...'  ;D
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal