Author Topic: Tall Wetsuit Boots for Cold Water Paddling – A Review  (Read 12224 times)

supthecreek

Tall Wetsuit Boots for Cold Water Paddling – A Review
« on: December 25, 2013, 05:06:52 AM »
A few weeks ago I went for the first snow & ice paddle of the winter…. My feet froze. That never happened before…. Must be getting old. …anyway….. I decided it was time to get some boots that I have been eying.

Neosport Wetsuit - Explorer Boots.

They come up to just below your knees. The theory is… they allow you to walk in the water till you can step on your board without letting water into the boots. The nice part of that is… you can wear a few heavy sock under your boots…. they will stay dry and keep your feet warm. Sounds good.

NOTE: These boots are for flat-water ONLY….. NOT surfing. They would NOT be good, filled up with water

I got them from JimK at Extreme Windsurfing… a Zone sponsor that offers 20% off on everything, to Zoners, everyday. They arrived in 2 days !

I ordered them 2 sizes too big…I have wide feet and I wanted to wear a bunch of socks under them…

Dec 24th was the first time I had to test them. It was 25 degrees, overcast and windy with snow squalls. I followed the exact same route as I did the day my feet froze…. Almost the exact same conditions. When I say they froze… I mean froze. Purple and blotchy… painful. Took a hot shower and my feet were screaming in pain. I needed to find a solution.....

Today, I paddled my 9’5  Mana with a 9” fin, so I needed some good water depth to jump on board. The boots easily got me deep enough to hop on without grounding the fin. My feet stayed dry. I paddled for over an hour… same gear as last time… except, now I had the explorer boots.

My feet were VERY comfortable… never a hint of cold…. Much more enjoyable than having wet feet on a cold day. The extra socks gave my feet a softer cushion to stand on, and my feet did not get as achy as they do in standard wetsuit boots….and MUCH warmer.

I past a beautiful fox on the return trip…. She stopped to check out my stylish new footgear. Foxy liked them!!!

I wore the boots home. They came off super easy… just grabbed the heel of the boot with my other big toe, and they slipped right off.

My socks were DRY… my feet were warm to the touch… ahhhhhh!

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tall Wetsuit Boots for Cold Water Paddling – A Review
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
Sold me on em Rick. After last winter paddling with you that was a big issue for me. Surfing, your feet are on the move so the blood flow is still there but flat water is downright tough sometimes. I'll be putting in my order. Merry Christmas, I have the week off so lets get some waves or flatwater in.
Geoff C.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
Hey Geoff.... gotta be Saturday or Sunday this week... I'll be in touch

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »
Glad you liked the boots I was wearing when we went on the paddle that froze those BIG feet of yours. UGG.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
Just got mine today. :)
Geoff C.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
Geoff,

Shoulda called me I could have saved you some $$ but anyway.
The Explorer boot is ONLY for Flatwater and super COZY feet. Rik (supthecreek) got his 2 sizes bigger that may be over kill But Riks shows me stuff that really works So I doubt he is wrong.

One thing I wanted to note is the Neosport boots have AMAZING GRIP with out being sticky or wear a lot. I've been REALLY impressed with these and all the Boots

I'll be cozy in mine (when I get back) for Freezin for a Reason Race in Ventnor NJ 1/4
Hope to see a bunch of Zoners there Great Race, Paddle & CAUSE!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »
Hey Jim,
 I was gonna call you but it just so happened that my local shop had one pair, in just the size I needed. Got a dirt cheap price on them to boot. ( no pun intended) Havent tried em yet but everything the Creek man says works out well so I have faith. ;D
Geoff C.

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:24:18 AM »
Hey guys

Don't forget me for any potential epic flat water journey. 

I too got very cold feet last year on our down-breezer.  I think it might be in part due to the lack of moving around on those trips.   I wonder how those type of boots, size 11, will cinch up on the legs of a 135#'r.

I bet if we had another trip, Mr.Big, Terry and a few more would do it.  Maybe even some women might come along.

For me only one day in December - surfing on the solstice with Gil, Jerry and Mr.Big.

RC

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:22:26 AM »
Hey Ron,
  Was gonna go with Creek and Mr. Big Saturday  but my hands were hurting pretty bad. Had a good 2 hr + solo surf session Friday at the usual haunt. This time of year the cold does a real number on my old injuries. Gonna try to hit the red roof tomorrow. Order your boots from Jim K to redeem myself  ;)
Geoff C.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »
Geoff,

No need for redeption! I'm just here to help. If you need something I'll get it to you cheaper with as much insight as I can give ya

Love all the chatting
JimK

Geoff C

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
Geoff,

No need for redeption! I'm just here to help. If you need something I'll get it to you cheaper with as much insight as I can give ya

Love all the chatting
JimK
Thanks Jim. Hopefully surf tomorrow.
Geoff C.

supthecreek

Re: Tall Wetsuit Boots for Snow Shoveling
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Update --- Update !!!

Turns out that these boots are perfect for deep snow  ;D

Lasted 2 minutes in my regular boots before snow came over the tops and soaked/froze my feet

Ran in and pulled on my Explorer boots.... voila'.... dry and warm for the 1 hour shoveling marathon.

ps... I also used my 3 mil - 5 finger wetsuit gloves... perfect combo. No more frozen hands & feet.... maybe I'm finely getting smarter :o

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Last night as I watched the fog roll into Dana Point, I couldn't help but think of everyone back in New England and I actually wished I was there, in the midst of the blizzard.  Then I woke up, saw all of the pictures like these from Creek.  So I put on my flip flops, shorts and a windbreaker and took Kaya outside for a walk  ;D

I do miss it though, there's nothing quite like seeing New England under a foot of fresh snow.  Stay warm and safe.

MJF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
After looking at the pics, I don't miss the East coast too much  ;D.  Beautiful area, but I hated shoveling snow and dealing with the ice.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
Hey Jon.... the flip flop comment made me smile ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal