Author Topic: Board Carrier for Bicycle: To Buy or to Build? Reviews?  (Read 15083 times)

SUPStandard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Board Carrier for Bicycle: To Buy or to Build? Reviews?
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

I have seen 3 designs online that are bike friendly.  There is The Mule, The Wheele, and The EZ Roller.  What do you like or dislike about any of these?

The idea seems pretty simple.  Would you buy or build?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Board Carrier for Bicycle: To Buy or to Build? Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
I saw this one posted by FlySUP.. maybe he can share the specifics.  Don't we all wish we lived that close...

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
I have an old bike with a side carrier for a regular surfboard on it.  The way it is now, the holder is too narrow to accept the thicker SUP.  I am going to experiment with it to see if I can bend them wider.  I am one of those who is blessed with living 2 blocks from surfing.  Although it is crowded, it is easily accessible, and carrying my AW on the bike beats some of the terrible parking problems that are near the beach.  I'll report back here if it works. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
These look good.
http://www.carverracks.com/

Plan on trying once I get my new board.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:06:01 PM by SaltH2Opaddler »
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Ya Salt.. they look well engineered. At first I thought their internet site was pretty cool too ..being brave enough to use hard cropped photos.   ..'till I wanted to see the whole item. 

Then it became a chore trying to get enough product view to make a decent judgement. Guys with Mini-Dreads as greeters are OK, but let us talk to the engineers in the back.  I want a video of a single person loading an 11' SUP ..then getting on the bike.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
I use the xtracycle on my beach cruiser.  Been using it for over 6 years to carry all my boards up to 14' race boards.  Expensive but versatile and well made.  http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/xtracycle-cargo-bicycles/xtracycle-freeradical.html
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
I've had one of these for years and use it with windsurfing stuff as well as SUPs - more than you need for short hauls, but if you are going several miles this is well-engineered:    http://www.equinoxtrailers.com/

FlySup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
I saw this one posted by FlySUP.. maybe he can share the specifics.  Don't we all wish we lived that close...

Jim

The bike is a Yuba Mundo, that I converted to Electric power with Hobby King Lipo batteries and a BnC geared Hub motor. Motor control and computers were built by some local SF computer guys. The bike is big heavy long-frame bike built to carry heavy loads. It works well with a SUP board as long as there is not to much wind and I keep it under 30mph. I love this bike and use it lots for family to the park and grocery runs. Take it easy.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
here is a photo of the Mule attached to my ATV… it transports my SUPs great and is easy to  use. It has a sleeve at the nose piece where you can slide the paddle blade and then bungee your paddle to the board.   I can hit speeds of 30 mph and the MULE goes along fine..it does bounce around but has never tipped over….It is designed for bicycle seat attachment.  I had to alter it to fit to the back of the ATV.  The MULE comes with axle extensions for wider boards which is handy too..
I would recommend it

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
a type of trailer hitch I came up with, been using for 8 years works great

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
Funkart,
You are all kinds of Viking in those photos.  Hand made sleigh, snow on the ground... all your missing is a broad axe and a longship instead of that sup!  :D

funkart

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »
Ha yea I guess I could use one of those (broad axe) in NY  :D  The carrier was made from a childs bike trailer I can fit up to four sup's on it  …….. if anyone needs advise on how to build feel free to PM

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »

I have seen 3 designs online that are bike friendly.  There is The Mule, The Wheele, and The EZ Roller.  What do you like or dislike about any of these?

The idea seems pretty simple.  Would you buy or build?

Mule is fine, but if there's an axle failure or a flip it won't protect the board. First hand experience. I made a trailer for my motorcycle that protects the board, and it works well, but it's a long haul (about 20 miles) and I nearly got dusted twice--so I decided it wasn't worth it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
I have been using the cantilevered PVC rack shown for 10 years now.  I am on my 5th generation of the design, and have used it on multiple bicycles on both the East and the West Coast.
The blue board is my 12’ Paddle Surf Hawaii gun.  The white American flag board a 12’ original windsurfer.  The orange board is my ‘short’ board and the yellow SUP shown weighs nearly 50 lbs.  This rack holds all these boards without a problem.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:06:51 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
In these photos I show some of the basic design elements of this rack.  

You will need to have tension lines attached to your seat and upper stay bar on the bicycle.  With these tension lines the rack can hold a nearly unlimited amount of weight, probably >> 100 lbs.  I have had my daughter sitting in the rack and ridden around.  The rig starts to get a bid unwieldy > 60 lbs but it still works.

Another advantage to this design, using T joints attached with hose clamps to the frame and tension lines, is that the whole rig can be removed from the bicycle frame is under 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:08:59 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal