Author Topic: I think I reached my maximum reduction.  (Read 2791 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think I reached my maximum reduction.
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
I demo'd a Timmy Patterson 9'2" x 29" x 4 1/4" -- 125 liters 'The Rising Sun' model over the long weekend. I was able to stand pretty much all the time, but it was a struggle in the chop. My height and weight a little too much for this board. I had to takeoff in the pocket, and the nose was under water. I'd just thrust it forward and the board would pop to the surface. It surfs good, and has a very loose feel with the quad set-up. When the wind picked up, I forced myself to keep moving to stay up. The rails would bury side to side (not a fan of pinched rails all the way to the nose). After a hour and a half of trying to stay up, my legs started to noodle on me. Some bigger outside sets popped, but I just couldn't get into them with all the chop and my waning legs. If I'd been on my 9'4 x 31"x 4-1/2 I would have been able to get into those sets, and my legs wouldn't have been as tired.
So even though the board is really fun on a wave, It would have been funner with a slightly bigger board (given the conditions).
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I think I reached my maximum reduction.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
Good review. It's interesting when we reach our bare minimum how hard we have to work just to stay afloat. I know when I was riding a 92 L board at close to 190 it was a constant struggle and I would surf about an hour and a half before my legs just quit. Now that I'm riding back at 105 L I can save everything for wave riding and my sessions are longer and a whole lot of fun. We all have to find that number though and work or way back to find that perfect balance.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I think I reached my maximum reduction.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:56:50 AM »
Agreed - I find if I spend most of my energy just trying to stay up - I don't have any where near as much fun.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »
TD... "My height and weight a little too much for this board." ... So, how much?  So we can scale ourselves.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
I'm 6'-7" and 235 lbs, so it's surfable for someone my size. Actually, Saturday afternoon it was cleaner with some 4' to 5' sets and the board ripped. I was able to hip the lip faster, and almost pulled off a little floater. If it was steeper and glassy I would be on that board. The chop and lulls between sets is what did me in. Another draw back is no speed paddling out. It's hard to get out of the impact zone when the board is under water. Timmy suggested I try his 10'2. Ten foot+ and how I like to surf just doesn't interest me. The length and width of the 9'2 might be fine if it had a little more volume. This is a production board, and was one of his first shipped by Riviera. The handle is about 4" to far forward. Something they can adjust for the next run.
BTW, the bottom has a single to flat to double concave. The board is a blow up of Timmy's Rising Sun short board. The rocker is sharp nose flip (6") to lower front rocker (drops to 3 1/2" quick) and lower tail rocker (3").

It's not overhead to me!

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
If that board is like the other productions ones they originally had in, it in itself probably gave you an extra 8-10lbs., also contributing to your weight to volume conundrum......so you were more like 245 on a 125 ltr.  :o

That is not intended to be a bash on T. Pat, as they know the first boards in were heavier than they should have been, and are working on getting them where they should be for their respective sizes.

Beautiful boards though, and once they get them dialed in weight wise where they want them (if they haven't already), I'm sure they're going to be another great option available out there.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
It was a little heavy.
It's not overhead to me!

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
It was entertaining watching you try and stay upright on that board (I'm the dude that's always out there with a Tower board and Camelback.  I'm waiting on that Infinity board).  To your credit, I can't recall you going swimming while you were paddling in the lineup, and the chop was not kind.   
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal