Author Topic: Leash Repair  (Read 15554 times)

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leash Repair
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
OK Pono, I'll try your advise for the second time. I tried the melting, no joy. I think the 5200 would have worked, but mine had kicked andsince a tube is ten bucks, half the price of the leash, I hate to throw away more money. I'll try your loop. I have a lot of experiance with bungee, bees wax and heat shrink for tank racks and surf racks.

I'm surprised you would wear a knee leash in big Hawaiian surf. I've been luckey running on these knees for twenty five years without a day of injury, but live in fear of being layed up. In chest high Florida surf they work great.

Thanks
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
Here's a photo of one of my multiply repaired leashes finally ready for retirement.  Eventually the cord perishes and it is time for the bin. That is why this one is shown broken after the home weld.  Otherwise get creative with some plastic welding 101 and some improvised knots.  

It is also worth keeping a few spare parts.  It is not hard to find bits and pieces of new leashes after a day of solid swell.  Yachting cord is also indispensable.  Even my current leashes is held to the ankle wrap by a loop of spectra cord.  Guessing it has a few more months at least to live!

(Oh, I am sure you all know how to swim?  Something even more important than having a reliable and/or repairable leash!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:45:36 AM by Surfershane »

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »

(Oh, I am sure you all know how to swim?  Something even more important than having a reliable and/or repairable leash!)

I raced canoes once upon a time and there was a guy who couldn't swim that participated.  Kinda unbelievable.  But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there were people out there on SUP's that can't swim....

cart before the horse.

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Looking at the pic, the place I had problems with is right where that swivel is sewed into the railsaver.  that is where my Dakine's were breaking.  Just a cheap little sting in there.

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Looking at the pic, the place I had problems with is right where that swivel is sewed into the railsaver.  that is where my Dakine's were breaking.  Just a cheap little sting in there.

That is where my last one and its replacement broke.  I consider this a design fault and took the first one back to the shop for an exchange.  The only reason I did not take the second one back, which broke at the same spot, was because the shop owner always gives me a discount.  Best move is to find a brand that is better built.

Oh, the leash that kept breaking at the same spot when new were Mrs Palmer's brand.  Unless they have got their act together best best give them miss.  Funny though how the same part in the leash in my photo is an earlier model of the same brand.  Maybe they need to change their factory in China again?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:09:21 PM by Surfershane »

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
Just broke a leash today.  I was old, but I'm stoked that I am set up with double leashes.  I do need to buy a couple of new leashes asap.

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 05:11:52 AM »

I raced canoes once upon a time and there was a guy who couldn't swim that participated.  Kinda unbelievable.  But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there were people out there on SUP's that can't swim....

cart before the horse.

Yep, worked on an offshore crabbing boat with a skipper who could not swim.  Back in the old days that was nothing unusual for sailors.  Hard part with my Captain was that when he finally blew it crossing the bar I had to Dave him instead of joyfully swimming off.

Likewise, when I did my scuba course they made us swim a few laps of a pool.  One girl could hardly make it but they passed her nonetheless.  So on our first real dive she dangerously freaks and claws for the surface.

Hey, regardless of leg ropes and whatever else it never hurts to ask, "can you swim"!

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
I fell back to trying the 3M 5200 sealant. It made the repair easy and it only used 5% of the small $10 tube. I had some other plans for the rest of the tube but it will probably set up while I procrastinate. That stuff is amazing and I will be surprised if it does not work,

For the responce about  people not being able to swim, when I was certified to dive while in at a South Florida college over thirty years ago, the only criiteria was to swim a few laps of the pool. I was amazed how many people were willing to learn to dive before the learned to swim.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM