Author Topic: Starboard Big Daddy and Fisherman  (Read 10898 times)

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Big Daddy and Fisherman
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
Anybody know anything about these two boards?  I have been looking at the Fisherman for a bit now.  I am intrigued by its versatility.  It is a very stable SUP, a Windsurf Board, and a Fishing SUP.  Has built in rod holder, that allow you to troll while you paddle.  Sounds pretty cool.  From the pictures, it looks like the Big Daddy is the same board, but with 2 more inches of width.  Can anyone confirm if that is true?

I am also interested in anything else you might know about the boards.  Are they good at Windsurfing, basic small wave surfing, etc.  Plus, I give a lot of free SUP lessons and I figure it would be great to have a board that stable for the newbies, especially the big boys.

thanks,
Casey

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Starboard Big Daddy and Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Hi Casey,
My understanding is that the Big Daddy is a blown up Fisherman...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/sup-fishing

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/11/starboard-fisherman-adventure-sup.html

The 2011 Avanti 11'2" x 36" would be better for surfing...and, the silver AST comes with a Tuttle center fin option this year for windsurfing which is pretty cool...we have it in stock as well as the Fisherman...

http://surfingsports.com/starboard_2011_sup_guide/slides/Starboard_2011_page30.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:42 PM »
Yes - the Big Daddy is a 2 inch wider Fisherman.

It was originally built for Svien's 80+ year old father to paddle.

The fisherman is ULTRA stable - unless you are a very unstable person / want to carry a few hundred pounds of gear / fish / people / beer / etc. - I think a Fisherman would be more than stable enough.

It does windsurf quite well for it's size - and has amazingly good glide considering it's width.

If you want it for surfing - the Avanti would be better - - but for fishing . . . well that's what it's made for.
The burnt red / brown color of the deck pad won't show fish blood much either, and the grooved deck pad and rear drain allow blood / guts and water to wash out the back.

I am my son's trolling motor

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Another option here would be the Pau Hana Fisherman 11'2 X 32 X 5" This board is real stable has all the attachments for fishing and it surfs waves VERY well.

I've (I'm a big guy) fished (both freshwater & Saltwater) landed Striped Bass (biggest over 30 inches) to Sun fish with a fly rod. and this board is stable. Not to mention easy to haul in and out PLUS I even rode waves with fishing gear on it. The Pau Hana does everything

So it seems more versitile. Not to mention well made

JimK

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
The Starboard 12' x 33" Atlas would be another ultra-stable windsurfable/surfable/fishable option...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/12/starboard-atlas.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »
Guys, thank you all for your feedback.  More information than I was able to find online on my own.  Here are my priorities for the board.

WindSurf/SUP Crossover #1a
Fishing/tie downs for touring #1b
Surfing #2
Using the board to teach others to SUP (because of stability) #3

I go back and forth on what's more important between the first and second item, which is why I made them 1a and 1b.  The other two things are other uses for the board, but it will not be used for those purposes primarily.  I have a PSH 10'6 XW and a C4 11'6 Standem that I use primarily for surfing, and have a Randy French 10'6 (tank) for beginners.  This board would just augment those.

That all said, it seems like the Big Daddy or the Fisherman would be my best choices, no?  Anyone have a price on those two boards?

Thanks,
Casey

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »
If your 1b - became 1a - - Fishing / touring - then sure the Fisherman (I am hesitant on the Big Daddy as I don't think they wil be out for some time yet) 

For SUP / and windsurf - the Atlas would be better - - plus it has tie downs on the nose.
http://canadasup.com/?p=850

I could give you pricing - if you are in Canada?
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the offer Easy Rider.  I am in Texas though.  Got a text message from a local dealer today.  He just made contact with the Starboard Rep for our area, and was going to get a price on one.  Good feedback on the Big Daddy possibly being delayed.  I don't actually need it right away.  I am getting a bonus in April, so I figured that would be the likely time I would buy it.  If it got a killer deal before then, I might credit card it.  Otherwise, I would wait.  If I can't get the Big Daddy by April/May, I would likely go with the Fisherman. 

I am also going to check out the Atlas based on your recommendation.  Can you give me a quick thought on what makes it better for Windsurf?

Thanks,
Casey

sailsport1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • sailsportmarine.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
If you really want a board that can windsurf well, I'd take a look at the Starboard SUPers. The kick-up centerboard (removable) makes it a super sailboard - much better than any of the others.
Sailsport Marine
Traverse City, MI 49684

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 08:04:44 AM »
The Fisherman is also a great board to catch sharks from.  You can pile the deck high with fish guts, then paddle a few miles offshore, and the grooves will allow a steady stream of blood and chum into the water as you paddle.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal