Author Topic: Downwinding on the Columbia River  (Read 3049 times)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwinding on the Columbia River
« on: December 31, 2010, 07:36:08 PM »
I was on a short trip with my wife and stayed in Hood River for a couple of nights.  No board with me but the river looks great for downwinding.  I plan on coming down there again in the next couple of months and plan on doing some paddling.   Would anyone have some pointers where to launch and any other bits of info. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwinding on the Columbia River
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
the winds are strongest in the summer months. In spring the river current tends to be pretty strog, but we still have fun on downwinders--they're just a little arduous.

When the wind is good a Viento Park to the event center in Hood River is the standard, but theres lot of alternatives.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
Thanks Ponobill - is that paddle about 8 miles from Viento to Hood River ?  I was also on the Washington side driving west to the bridge of the gods and it looked like the wind was going with the flow of the river (2 ft waves).  Surprised no one was out downwinding today.

fletch

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorge Bump-N-Glide
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
Downwinders in the Gorge are insanely fun!

Easterlies are the norm in the winter months and are usually strongest from Stevenson heading west through Rooster Rock. If you happen to score a Westerly day, then Viento to Hood River is a great choice.

Today was pretty cold down here. We paddled up the Klickitat river and my feet are just starting to defrost. If you're looking for a someone to paddle with when you're down here next, hit me up!

Happy New Year-
Fletch

BTW, if you're into downwind racing, I'm planning a 4-6 race series down here this Summer. Dates and specifics are still being finalized but it'll be a great time!

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Thanks Fletch - what are the typical size waves you get in the Columbia? 2 or 3 ft ?  The race series sound like fun.  Keep me posted on when.   

fletch

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorge Bump-N-Glide
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »
Everything varies as far as swell size goes. Westerlies produce the biggest, cleanest swell as they blow counter to the direction of the current. The fetch in the corridor, Viento-Event site is long enough that the swell can build to substantial size. Here's a cool video from last summer at the Hatchery to give some perspective on what to expect on a good day.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/12597571" width="400" height="265" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="">Hatchery Swell</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1021412">Warren Morgan</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

There are so many spots to do downwinders here that are just now starting to get explored. While the Viento to Event site run is awesome, there are also some amazing runs to be had out east in the desert.

In addition to my race series, there is also the Standup4Cancer downwinder, The Gorge Blowout Downwinder, The Gorge Outrigger Series and other yet to be named events that will be going on next summer. Definitely spend a week or a long weekend down here if you can.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
There are days when you get to the hatch that it looks more like Ho'okipa than a river. That's no illusion in the video, some of those puppies are overhead. The big difference is the swells are very short period and steep-faced. The right board goes through the hatchery like a freight train. Rod Parmenter and Mark Ribkoff frequently circle back around to get another shot at them. I'm generally glad to get through there without loosing too much stuff. I've sacrificed more than a few sunglasses and hats to the wave gods at the hatch and Swell City.

I've yet to have a really good east wind day, probably because I get the heck out of there when the first cold raindrop hits my bald head.

If you look at a map of the river and the wind directions you'll see there's not much fetch near Hood River. All that magic at the hatchery happens with a mile or so of fetch. Shows how quick a swell can grow when the wind is gusting to 55.

On the East side of Hood River--especially way east, there are places where the river has twenty miles or so without a swell-killing bend. The swells can refract around slight bends, but a 90 degree turn pretty much hits the reset button. We have yet to explore all the river has to offer SUP downwinders. If you want to come play in the summer drop me a PM. I'm always good to go, and there's a really fun crew in HR that are generally ready to drop everything and go get wet.

I call that Hood River priorities.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:08:13 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Had fun paddling with ya Fletch.  Great way to cap off 2010.  Sorry about your icy stumps-time to get a drysuit with built in botties:). I'm headed south for warmer waters...  See you in a month or so.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
Thanks Ponobill and Fletch for the info.  I will send you a note when it starts warming up this year (April/May) and try some DW in your area.  A couple of my buddies here in Seattle want to try it out the Columbia.  Puget Sound isn't bad at times but the swells in the video look a lot bigger than the ones I have been in on the Sound.  Looking forward to try out some new water.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal