Author Topic: Anyone paddle a SB Race 14 Coast Runner  (Read 7089 times)

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone paddle a SB Race 14 Coast Runner
« on: December 31, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
Searching through the Zone I don't seem to be able to find a 14 Starboard Coast Runner.  I can find the Open Ocean version of the 14 Race but according to the Starboard site the Coast Runner appears to be more appropriate for my home waters of Florida's west coast.  Curious to hear some reviews from paddlers.  The search continues....

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone paddle a SB Race 14 Coast Runner
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
I believe I have the Open Ocean but couldn't be certain as Starboard didn't write the model name on the board. They also don't have a view of the rocker line on the website to compare the two boards which makes choosing a little more difficult.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »
I'm sure we have the Open Ocean version PT, would love to try the Coast Runner though! If you get a chance to paddle one ericspin please takes some pictures and write a review :)

The more I do downwinders the more convinced I am that less rocker is faster and more fun unless you really have big Hawaiian type conditions.

PT how did the Surf Race go in the 40knots yesterday? Pictures or it didn't happen.....

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »
I'm sure we have the Open Ocean version PT, would love to try the Coast Runner though! If you get a chance to paddle one ericspin please takes some pictures and write a review :)

The more I do downwinders the more convinced I am that less rocker is faster and more fun unless you really have big Hawaiian type conditions.

PT how did the Surf Race go in the 40knots yesterday? Pictures or it didn't happen.....

Jonathan.. Our Dw'er started off as a no'winder and in the 40deg C heat it was a killer.. but around Brighton the wind kicked and we got 30 knots of norwest behind us and great runners.. Paul had two camera's running and one died because the card was full and the GoPro foged up.. It's a shame because we got some of the best DW conditions we've had in ages and the Starboard and Naish 14's were flying.. We had two new guys with us that are now hooked..  ;D

DJ

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
Yeah no pics due to camera issues so therefore it didn't happen. But for the last few km's it was the best and also driest dw run I've ever had. Didn't go into the drink once which was kind of dumb at the same time because it was bloody hot.

I suspect the Coast Runner is going to have a very similar rocker line to the New/Ace and that being the case, you would be right in saying the Coast Runner is faster in flatter conditions. I've definitely hit higher speeds on the New even though it is just 12'6".

Yesterday, one of our dw virgins was on a Lahui Kai Orca 14' which has a pretty flat rocker and his GPS clocked him faster than me at peak speeds. I think the Open Ocean is simply not a race board, just as the Naish Glide 14' is no racer. No doubt the Coast Runner will be quick but not quite as quick at the Ace 14' or the K15.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:37:46 PM »

A couple of shots of the Coast Runner version of the 14' Race. I thought I was going to mess my freakin pants while fondling this thing. Sweet. Didn't get it to the water yet. The owner of the shop, Suncoast Surf Shop on Treasure Island, called the Starboard rep and he confirmed that it is definitely the Coast Runner model. I have a feeling that this board may be coming home to live with me soon. At that time I can post an appropriate review

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
Nice.... ;D

Just went and looked the the Open Ocean to compare, they look so similar, strange that they don't label the boards?

Did an open-ocean solo downwinder on my Surf Race yesterday, stayed dry until the impact zone at the beach but didn't break anything! Did get a couple of no sleep, alcohol glazed "where the hell have you come from" looks as I messily picked myself up from the beach break with my pfd and my 14' board.

Then I had to find someone to drive me the 15 miles back to my car, wandered around the little beach holiday resort in my wet suit with my paddle and got a ride back. People are easy to take advantage of at 10.30am New Years morning! Decided I'd start the new decade in the way I intended it to continue, just quietly pushing the old envelope.

Funny how a 14' board feels small when you are out in messy 3m swell, 25 knots open water, but the Surf Race is so stable it's a very 'friendly' board for those sort of conditions. Kinda nice when the next inlet around is a known White Pointer breeding ground.....  

I've been surfing and windsurfing at this place for more than 20 years but the ability to do the open water stuff has added a huge other dimension. Here is a link to the beautiful part of the world where I'm lucky enough to spend a lot of time.

http://www.sandypointgallery.com.au/7_todays_photos.html

Swell has gone now and the wind is onshore but we had some epic waves over the last few days. Even now in peak season it's still very sleepy, in winter I'll often surf and not see another person on the vast beach...

Hey ericspin, sorry to hijack your thread with holiday ramblings!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:23:55 PM by JonathanC »

supnewguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »
Ericspin did you get to try out the coast runner?  I live on the east coast of Fl so this board has really piqued my curiosity.  I have a 12 ft starboard big easy and the 9 ft starboard hero.  I'm looking for a board to race on flat water while also have  a little fun riding  small ocean bump on very small wave days.    I wonder how the coast runner compares to the naish glide and bark dominator. 

cape kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:20:03 AM »
anyone been on one yet??
---------------
Naish Glide 14'
Fanatic Allwave 9'10"
Starboard Avanti Supertanker

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
I was interested in one recently and starboard usa doesn't have any at the moment. They did say they would be in stock within 2 months.I don't know if that info helps?

hdearing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »
Ericspin that looks like the 2010 Elite Race 14. Starboard went to the Coast Runner and Open Ocean for 2011. The Free Race was the flat water board for 2010 and was not available in a 14 foot version. I would  say the Elite Race is closer in design to the Coast Runner than the Open Ocean. Has a good amount of rocker, but nothing really extreme. There is also less volume in the nose on the Elite Race than in the Open Ocean boards. Perfect set up Florida. Fast, but ready for some downwind action. I love mine!  Only complaint is the deck is really wet. They have added drain holes for 2011 to help with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal