Author Topic: Naish 17 glide rudder modification help  (Read 5842 times)

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish 17 glide rudder modification help
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
Hello, just picked up a naish 17 glide that had only been used a couple of times. The cables were already rusting pretty bad. I have read about some zoners using kite line and doing other mods. I would love to see some more pics of what people have done or hear what you have seen others try to solve this. Any tips on how to set it up and use the 17 and rudder system would be great. thanks

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Naish 17 glide rudder modification help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »
Here's what I did and it's still working great.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=8290.0

and here.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=6553.15

I've changed it slightly and post a new pic when I get a chance... I'm about to try a new rudder soon and a new attachment system.

Jeez it's a great board..  :-*

DJ

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:44:13 AM by DavidJohn »

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
I remember DJ posting that a while back, and now my Naish's cables are also rusting and staining the pad.  I'm glad this thread came up I want to make this modification myself.

DJ - do you need to change the metal bracket part to accept the new lines?  It appears you have two different setups from the pictures.

It would be nice to put in something which would allow adjustment by threading (like on the stock cables).  With the spectra line do you adjust by tightening the knots?

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:21:16 AM »
That was the pics I remember seeing, thanks for posting them again.

I tried to use the using the  barrels and some kite line I had, but it twisted the line quite a bit when adjusting. Then I had to keep re-doing the knots at the control bar because the line seemed to stretch.
I assume that dj was adjusting any tension issues at the fin.

Dj- how often did you have to adjust lines? Can you tell us about what you are doing to improve system?

Thanks again

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
I never have to adjust it.. well maybe once in six months..

I don't use kite line.. It's 1 1/2 mm spectra from a boating shop.. I'll check again with the boat shop.. It might even be 2mm.. It's thicker than kite lines.. and doesn't seem to stretch.

I had that plate made up but sold my 17 to a friend and bought a new one so now I have just undone the two Philip's head screws shown in that second pic and tied the spectra straight onto it.

You just tie off the first line so the rudder is pulled about 15 deg off center.. and then pull the other line so it goes past center so when you tie it off it ends up centered/straight.

It's not hard to do.. You don't need much tension on the lines.

I have ordered a slightly larger rudder (from DC) and when I get it I will use a different style T bar and I'll post some pics once it's done.

It will be just like this.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=8920.0

DJ
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:10:55 PM by DavidJohn »

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
Thanks for info. Will give that a try

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:20:01 PM »
DJ let me know how the board works with the bigger rudder. 

I've not found the 17's rudder to be too small - to me the board feels pretty responsive with the stock rudder.  Then again, I mostly steer it by stepping back, maybe others use the rudder more.

justingordon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • talksurf.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
Any advice on...

1. Which placement do you use for the adjustable rudder controls? The board came with the control one rigged one from the back. On flatter water, it seems that a more forward foot placement increases the water line, resulting in faster speed.

2. How much tension do you like for the rudder cables? OK for the rudder to have some play, or will that be bad when there is no active rudder control?

Aloha,

Justin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:39:37 AM by Admin »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:37 PM »
IMO.. all the way forward in both the steering boomerang and the tensioning batten.. and no play in the lines.

DJ

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:41:32 PM by DavidJohn »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal