Author Topic: rail tape vs paddle guard  (Read 23822 times)

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
rail tape vs paddle guard
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:10:24 PM »
I know this topic has been brought up, but I'm curious to know why one way works better for some than others. And way do boards with a glossy finish have such high maintnence? My old board with more of a matte finish barely had a scuff from scraping my rails. My new board with high gloss is all marked up only after 1 session. Not sure if I'll tape the paddle (likely) or tape the rails (probably not unless I need to cover up the scuffs).
Bueller?

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: rail tape vs paddle guard
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »
I prefer the paddle guard. The tape on the rails frays at the edges and looks bad after a while. The paddle guard is way easier to replace if you need to IMHO.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
A lot of those marks will disappear with a quick wipe of a rag and mineral spirits.  Keeps demo boards looking like new.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »
You would be surprised how much the paddle edge guards affect paddle performance, lots of drag on the release, added swing weight, excessive drag while feathering, etc...  On the other hand the rail tape can not be felt in term of performance on the board IMO.  Why would you reduce paddle performance when it's the board mfg's that need to address the rail ding issues?  I believe this is a call to the board mfg's to make better rails where they get banged up the most.  I have yet to see a Werner paddle fall apart from hitting the rails.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »
Wow River thanks I had no idea about the paddle performance. Thanks for the heads up. I guess the best thing to do would be to work on your stroke so you don't bang your rails.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:46:34 PM by 808 »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
I rode a rental recently that had grip tape for rail tape. Do not use that, it tore my belly up getting back on the board.

I rock the mastic tape on my paddle edge and I seriously doubt you'd feel a difference, it's less than a mm added around it. Not like the "edge guard" stuff.

Sometimes I need a Magic Eraser to get a black mark off after a wild wipeout, but no dings so far.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
I just like running pvc pipe tape (I think it's 20 mil).  Or just regular electrical tape.  Don't like how thick the paddle guards are and I don't like putting rail tape on my board.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 04:59:06 AM »
 Lately, I've been using the airplane/helicopter (clear) tape on my paddle edges. It's thinner than mastic, not black and it's super-strong... Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

caRRera

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
I agree that a paddle guard affecte heavily the hydrodinamics of the paddle apart from ugly.

I've been testing lately a new rail tape, and it's impossible (for me) to diferentiate the board with the rail tape and the board without ... and it's beatiful, and you can even personalise it with your colors.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 01:33:52 PM »
I use car door protector on the upper 1/3 of my paddle. When I went all the way around with it, I could feel the paddle vibrate when I paddled hard. I like having it on my paddle because the edge is very sharp and I think it protects me from cuts as well as the board.

I would like to see paddle manufacturers come out with a soft edged paddle, or at least a duller edged paddle. Some of the paddle edges are sharp as a knife. I also dull the trailing edge of my fins since I've been sliced pretty bad once.

Killafornia

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »
I made my own paddle guard with 1/4" drip line and silicon.  Works great

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
You would be surprised how much the paddle edge guards affect paddle performance, lots of drag on the release, added swing weight, excessive drag while feathering, etc...

I agree that a paddle guard affecte heavily the hydrodinamics of the paddle apart from ugly.

What are you guys using for paddle guards? It was a couple of months before I started using the Surfco Hawaii kit and I've been very happy with it: not only did I not notice a decrease in performance when I did, I saw a significant decrease in the number of rail dings. It's lasted a year without any visible degradation- which I can't say for my buddy's rail tape. That stuff got tore up on his first paddle. As far as "ugly" goes, I doubt anyone even notices it that doesn't know it's there.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
both are lame don't hit the board and you'll be good.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
For surfing-  clear paddle edging ( shops in So.Cal selling it for 5-7.00 for enough to do one paddle) it lasts a long time/no board marks

For racing - no paddle edge ( it does affect paddle performance) , no UGLY rail tape

kabeth

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 04:04:27 PM »
Me being parinoid for my 1st year out I put rail tape and paddle edging on.Next season I'm taking off the rail tape. Should I expect some residule glue from the tape?  If so what do I get it off with?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal