Author Topic: Rainbow Fins on my 9'8 x 29" Starboard Pro  (Read 9315 times)

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Rainbow Fins on my 9'8 x 29" Starboard Pro
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
Just tried out a new fin set on my Starboard 9'8" x 29 Pro. What a blast, the board felt stable, fast and super easy to turn. It's my 'big' board, I only weigh 145 and it was just an absolute pleasure today in clean head high faces at my beach break. Have to admit I haven't tried the fins that came with the board - just couldn't resist the new Rainbow Fin Co set of 6" centre and SpeedFins sides!

Mainly been surfing a Pocket Rocket for the last year and sometimes a 10'5 Drive. The Drive always felt too big for me so I just tended to use the Pocket Rocket all the time, but I struggled a little on days like today in fat waves and offshore wind with the PR, just couldn't seem to get enough speed up to catch the waves. Well that struggle is over! The extra glide of the 9'8 let me catch anything I wanted, thing that amazed me was how responsive it was for a board that length - even if I wasn't right back it just turned like a dream. Its made me super excited about the 8'5 Pro that will be my new small board - coming in a few days :D  

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rainbow Fins on my 9'8 x 29" Starboard Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
Hey , been looking at that Starboard 9'8" pro. or the 10'3" pro
Was wondering if you could share some feedback.
I'm 5'8" and  weigh about 165

Thx

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Those fins look very cool  where did you get them? Are there several sizes or combinations?

Ps. I got the 10'3". I think they are both good. Responsiveness vs stability. Your call. No wrong choice.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:53 PM »
You can get the speedwings from www.rainbowfins.com

One size only I believe.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
Hey firesurf, still really enjoying the 9'8 pro, really thought it was going to be too big for me but I just love it when there is some wind, chop or anytime I feel like a crusie surf. I'm about 5'8 as well.

Actually wish I'd gone a bit smaller than the 8'5 pro as my small board, it's super floaty at my weight, could have gone to the 7'11 or the 7'4 no problems on the smooth days.

As far as I know there is only one size of Speedwings and jd was right, from Rainbow Fins. 

Punipaka

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:37 AM »
Hey JC, did you try the 9'1" pro also?   I'm considering the 9'8" as my "small" board, I weigh about #187 at 5'10".      Currently I have a 10' SubVector.  I really like it with the quad setup, but it is not as loose as I would like.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
Hi Punipaka,

Haven't tried the 9'1, really wanted the extra length to get waves further out and into headwinds. Went from the Pocket Rocket which was really too big as my 'small board' and didn't have quite enough glide to catch really fat waves. Have a friend who is probably 5'9 and 170 and he loves the 9'1.

Funny thing after owning the 8'5 Pro for a while I actually think you could go that small with very few problems if you have a bigger board as well. Once you use a small board for a while it's pretty addictive!

Demo for long enough to get used to the smaller board if you possibly can, I think you will be surprised!

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 03:29:55 AM »
JC
After reading your post I'm now looking a little harder at the 9'8" pro.
9'8" pro
9'8" element
10'3" pro

which one??    those rainbow fins look cool

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »
I've only used the 9'8 Pro out of the the three boards you mention firesurf. But this board has really blown me away, I went from last years 10'5 Drive to the 9'8 Pro as my big board, the difference is huge!!

I can turn the 9'8 Pro so much more easily than the Drive without getting right back on the board, there is more V in this model further forward. Punches out through white water super easy and is plenty stable even in windy chop. Keep in mind I'm only 147lbs and 5'8" but I'm sure it would be fine for much bigger guys too. Sure the Drive is a very different board and much more of an all rounder but I'm really loving the 9'8 and I'm quite happy to paddle a long way up the beach to get to where its working better, actually even done a couple of downwinders on it too believe it or not and was able to catch some wind waves no problem.

I asked Scottie McKercher the designer about whether to get the 9'8 Pro or the 10'3 Pro and he just said to me "the 9'8 Pro is a sweetie"

Only wish there had been a brushed carbon available when I got mine! 

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
Thx for the feedback on your surfing the 9'8"  Pro. Sounds killer.

Just walked in from riding knee-high crud on my C4 10'6" classic.   Days like today are probably why I'm torn between the 9'8" pro and the 9'8" Element as I'm  thinking the Element has an extra inch width and about 10 liters volume which I would think give it a little more glide and stability than the pro.

If I had more better surf than I'd be leaning to the pro. Anyway want to see them both  side by side to make a decision.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Side by side piccies of the 2011 9'8" Element next to the 2011 9'8" Pro...on the water testing confirms that the Element does have more glide and stability...

The Rainbow Speedwings are legit...we've been using and stocking them for awhile...

http://surfingsports.com/images/rainbow_speedwing1.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/rainbow_speedwing2.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/rainbow_speedwing3.jpg
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
Wow!   they both look awesome!

All things considered, side by side I'm sold on the element

Thanks for the photo shoot! & all the personal input from Guy.
My mouth is watering. Wish I was standing on that  carbon fiber element right now dropping in on a glassy head high wave.

Right now I have a couple of boards for sale, we'll see how it goes, but I do think if I'm going new on my next board it will be an element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
Wow!   they both look awesome!

All things considered, side by side I'm sold on the element

Thanks for the photo shoot! & all the personal input from Guy.
My mouth is watering. Wish I was standing on that  carbon fiber element right now dropping in on a glassy head high wave.

Right now I have a couple of boards for sale, we'll see how it goes, but I do think if I'm going new on my next board it will be an element

Kewl,
Guy is great...I'm stoked to have such committed and knowledgeable paddlesurfers on my staff...
Another guy that works for me at the shop, John, rides the Element almost daily...if you have any lingering questions, feel free to ring him at the shop...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal