Author Topic: Leash Length  (Read 10381 times)

justingordon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • talksurf.com
Leash Length
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
Does anybody have advice on how to avoid breaking SUP's in larger surf? I've heard that the new trend is to use 6' or 7' leashes to keep the board close so that the board does not end up getting caught with the breaking wave and the rider is caught on the other side (ocean side), and then the pull of the board against the stationary rider is what breaks the board.

Thanks,

Justin

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leash Length
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:15 PM »
I think most of us use about a 10' leash without any problems.. I think there's a bigger chance of getting hit by the board with a shorter leash and also more chance of the leash breaking.. This vid of RobDog's shows how important a good long leash is..  ;D

DJ

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
 In small to medium surf, I like a short leash (around 7'). I like the board to be rather close after an 'eat' so I can get right back on it in a hurry...   Later,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
I use a 7' leash all the time unless my board is so long that it stops me moving forward on it. My board is not going to hit me... but it might hit someone else. I also want it to follow me off the wave, and not be on the face when I'm off the back, and i want it back to me fast so I can get on quick. In big surf I use an 8mm leash into a double plug.

I also "save" my leash in normal conditions. For example I never dive off the board and swim down unless I HAVE to (read - 15' plus). I'll spin the board, grab the leash saver and as the wave is almost on me, duck under and pull the tail down. wave passes over board. This saves the leash from being constantly pulled and weakening over time. So when I need it to work, it does.

But that's just me.

Corran

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
Same as above only tail handle. I'm surprised that a guy who hangs out with stump leper would be grabbing a saver.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
You are right Pono... I don't go anywhere near that sh*t and suggest others stay away as well... Like when I saw the dude with the super re-enforced leash riding Mav's on an SUP with a leash around his waist... because he didn't want his leg ripped off... so.... the rational alternative is bisection???

Be well all... and KEEP YOUR SH*T out of the rigging!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

corran

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:34:23 PM »
I don't grab the rope lepper... and i don;t grab the saver when bailing. Only when in the soup already and then its hand around the saver ;-)

Corran

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
SL... A  grisly image.  That'd ruin my whole day just witnessing it.  

DJ- cool vid

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »
For normal conditions (2' overhead and smaller) I'm using an 8' long leash on a calf cuff.  I had to merge the cuff from a normal duty leash to the heavier duty DaKine, but it works great.  Measured length is pretty close to 10'.  Take out the tape and see how long your 10' or 12' leash really is and you may be surprised.  I have found that it makes a big difference in the time that it takes to get back on the board and be ready to deal with whatever is coming.  With the 10' leash, I always felt like the board was a long way away, and I was always swimming to it.  With the 8', I've never felt like the board was too close or that I was in danger of getting hit by it.

The video posted by DJ was great, but I don't (intentionally) find myself in those conditions very often.  Nice to see some footage of the whole wave, including wipe outs and punch throughs, instead of the usual edited stuff that only shows the clean part of the ride.  That guy showed some good technique for getting the board through the impact zone (and some big stones for taking in hard on the head and getting back after it!).

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard