Author Topic: What are the right SUP dimensions for my weight/height/experience?  (Read 20684 times)

Glider

Re: What are the right SUP dimensions for my weight/height/experience?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
Demo demo, try to demo as many boards as you can in the conditions you will be paddlin in if possible, lots of good boards, width=stability, length 10 to 10 6.  Another big factor is the amount of rocker you want, PSH boards are pretty flat but glide well, made to surf,  with your surfing experience you will progress fast.  Sounds like you are a surfer at heart.   I went thru 8 boards before I found the two to cover all the condtions I like.  coreban Icon 10 is wide with lots of rocker, stable but not the best  glider great for waves and late drops.  I also have the 12 PSH gun for cruisin the flats or for when the waves are big.  Happy hunting !

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
For what it's worth:  I'm just getting into the sport too, though from a solid whitewater canoe and kayak background.  I went with an Imagine Rapidfire for three simple reasons:
1.  Versatility - flat or ocean (with a different fin), or whitewater and zero durability worries
2.  Stability - 36 inches wide has sped up my learning curve dramatically - plus this board handles more like a kayak to me
3.  Price - just about the cheapest sup out there, but maybe with THE most value considering all of my factors.

Throw in the service and quality that you get with the good people at Imagine, and I don't know how a new paddler looks at another option - especially considering Imagine's 2011 lineup.

Once again, my opinion for what it's worth, and also a well -earned shameless plug for Corran and crew.

Happy Holidays,

Logan

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:11:33 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback, just coming to the end of a 3 week trip to Cape Town, where I've had a chance to SUP everyday and try different rental boards, herewith what I found:

Boards:
9'6'' Naish Hokua: in very choppy conditions, barely managed to get to my knees ! NOT an option as I could probably only make it work in perfect conditions.

11'6 Naish Nalu: in various conditions, great for catching waves, but surprisingly unstable given its length, however after a while i got to see the 'unstability' more as 'manuverability' still very cumbersome once on the wave, couldn't really do anything other than try to noseride.

10' Naish Mana: in mildly choppy and very choppy conditions. my favourite for sure, stability and manuverability, actually found it easier then the 11'6 nalu as it was much less cumbersome and more responsive, much more responsibe when on wave.

NOW for the problem !!! Naish are in extreme short supply in UK. 10ft Mana is P1100 compared to Starboard white series at P600. Think I'm headed toward the Starboard Whopper as it matches closest to Naish Mana. Any opinions ???????

Paddles:
Used Naish Alloy race paddle most of the time, then tried a carbon paddle, found the carbon way to light and difficult to use, will go for Naish Carbon/glass Race paddle at P149 for sure.

Thanks for all the cpomments !!!

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:22:08 AM »
Whopper or Wide Point 10'5 will both be perfect for you. Whopper has less volume than the 10' Mana which IMO means you won't grow out of it as fast in terms of surfing satisfaction.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
I have both the Whopper and 10'5" WP. The Whopper is slow in and on the wave while the WP is a far faster ride with nearly as much stability on, in and in-between waves. Like night and day, 2 different boards really. The Whopper is fun to be sure but the WP makes it look like a beach toy.

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:01 AM »
My advice is to persevere with a carbon paddle. They're lighter, stronger and have better flex. It will really assist in refining your paddling technique.

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:58 AM »
great ! just when I think I finally have at least one decision made you're telling me to use a carbon paddle !  ;)

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00:27 AM »
At least I've settled on a paddle now. Kialoa Shaka Puu. Will let you know how i get on ...

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
You and I have similar dimensions and goals for a board, and I just went through the process of demo riding some boards to refine my selection.  I have a history of riding kneeboards in the 70's, longboards between 80's and 2010 and now I'm planning on splitting time between my old Dewey Weber 10' stylist longboard and my new South County 10' Turtle.  In calm conditions, I had no problem standing and paddling around on the Turtle, and I'm guessing the Whopper and Wide Point from Starboard and Naish Mana would provide similar stability.  Your mileage may vary.

Great advice is, like Glider said, "Demo demo demo."  Nothing feels like they tell you it will.  Only you can judge what feels right.  In addition to your weight, height and experience, you'll add your balance, leg strength and endurance, temperment, how fast you pick it up, weather cooperation, and whether you'll want anyone else to learn the tricks on this board once you've mastered it.  Stablity is key for that first time out, and it makes things easier later.  There are a dozen reasons why I picked the board I did, and each wave I catch confirms my choice. 

I'm curious to see how this turns out for you.  I wish you all the best and hope to see you in the line up soon.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:12 PM »
You and I have similar dimensions and goals for a board, and I just went through the process of demo riding some boards to refine my selection.  I have a history of riding kneeboards in the 70's, longboards between 80's and 2010 and now I'm planning on splitting time between my old Dewey Weber 10' stylist longboard and my new South County 10' Turtle.  In calm conditions, I had no problem standing and paddling around on the Turtle, and I'm guessing the Whopper and Wide Point from Starboard and Naish Mana would provide similar stability.  Your mileage may vary.

Great advice is, like Glider said, "Demo demo demo."  Nothing feels like they tell you it will.  Only you can judge what feels right.  In addition to your weight, height and experience, you'll add your balance, leg strength and endurance, temperment, how fast you pick it up, weather cooperation, and whether you'll want anyone else to learn the tricks on this board once you've mastered it.  Stablity is key for that first time out, and it makes things easier later.  There are a dozen reasons why I picked the board I did, and each wave I catch confirms my choice. 

I'm curious to see how this turns out for you.  I wish you all the best and hope to see you in the line up soon.

Hey SlowJim---we have similar taste in wave riding vehicles.  (see my sig line below)
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
OK, I can confirm from personal experience that width makes all the difference. Was on a 11ft x 27inch Laird today on near perfect, but small conditions. The board was a nightmare for me. It took me 45 minutes before I could get enough balance to start catching waves. Surprising the Surftech website states the volume at 168 l. It seemed much less bouyant to me, the nose kept "supmarining" on me. So to confirm the shape does seem to make a massive difference to the experience and I don't see myself on any board narrower that 30 inches, unless it's about 14ft long !!!!

Hip

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
At 250 I paddle a Pau Hana Big EZ. Pretty fun. A little hairy in bigger surf. Getting a PSH 10-6 Extra Wide Ripper.

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
Nice, looks like you have that 11 footer under control!

Unfortunatelly options in the UK are pretty limited, so I'm pretty much stuck on options for Starboard and errrrmmm Starboard ! Although a few other brands are in the market they dominate by far, though I do believe there may be some Corbean import coming along.

As far as Starboard is concerned I would decide between the 10'5 Drive. 10 Whopper and 10'5 Wide point ...

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
An update from someone else starting out in the sport.

So it's been about 15 or so sessions on the South County Turtle as of this posting.  This week in So Cal was easily worth taking a day off work for.  I surfed in a spring suit at both Dogpatch and up in Santa Barbara and I was more than warm enough.  I was overdressed...in February... I love this weather.

All my issues with stability are completely gone from my memory.  Even though my bones and tendons don't always allow the flexibility I'd love to have, I'm able to easily get up quickly to standing, even with chop and wind.  I warn you that I'm no vision of beauty on a wave. At 6-1 and around 245 lbs. I may be better suited to test the weight limits of elevators, but the turtle has no volume problems keeping me up.  A small adjustment to my original parallel paddling stand has made it much easier to turn and catch the rollers I ride.  

I took my 22 year old son out this Thursday.  We switched boards after catching a few on our own.  He stood quickly, and after 5 minutes of saying he was nervous, off he went catching waves from outside to the beach.  On his last wave, his 6-3, 185 lb. body stayed standing after the kickout.  He paddled over and said that "I'm getting one of these when I move to Oahu (in a couple months).  He said that after his initial nerves, he just heeded the advice of looking to the horizon and paddling to stay balanced.  Honestly, on the last wave he looked like he'd been doing this for several years.  Blasted youth.

So as others have said, wide is your friend, you'll progress comensurate with your time in the water, and get something you think you'd like to surf.  My master plan is to get my wife hooked on it and get me a Blue Dragon.  See you out there.

a short-period day at Bolsa
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:02:35 PM by SlowOldJim »

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
Slowoldjim,
Great story.  Great plan too, it worked for me.  I love the Blue Dragon and My wife loves her Turtle.  She can't wait to go out and catch waves on the Turtle.  For me the Blue Dragon rocks on any size waves.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:54:35 PM by mdsurf »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal