Author Topic: What are the right SUP dimensions for my weight/height/experience?  (Read 20716 times)

apieterse

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi All.

After 20 years of stand-up surfing I have been getting into this SUP "thingy" and am loving it. I've managed to catch a few 1-2 ft waves and go down-the-line and turn a little (11ft NSP)

I'm looking into my 1st SUP, usage will probably be 40/60 flatwater and surfing.

I weigh 110Kgs (17.5stone, 250 lbs) and am 5ft 10 tall. Hopefully I'll carry-on learning at a reasonably fast pace due to surfing background.

Any suggestions on a board? I'm looking around 160-190 litre volume boards, Starboard 11'2 Blend, Naish 11'4 Nalu, Nash 9'5 Mana.

Hopefully would get out into the water on average one session  per week.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:59:42 AM by apieterse »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are the right SUP dimensions for my weight/height/experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:43 AM »
depends if u want something that paddles flat water better or surfs better. depending on what u want to do more of. id go with the mana 100% but im into shorter boards and surfing. u may want to think about  c4 sub vector good for heavier guys stable and paddles well in flat water.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:15 AM »
I think you may need a bit more volume for all purpose cruising and surfing in the same board. My favorite all purpose boards for big guys are the Starboard 12'6" Cruiser and the YOLO original 12'. You won't regret having an all purpose board in your quiver even if you end up with other boards just for surfing or distance.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:41:57 AM by paddledaddy »

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:07:52 AM »
Your weight means you want a board >160l volume
Your height means you want a board >32" width (the wider the better: 33", 34", ... 37"...)

In Naish that means avoid the Nalu, go for the Mana. But you will have good boards for you in all brands.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:17 AM »
The perfect board for your height and weight for surfing and paddling around in flatwater for exercise is the South County Turtle or Dragon 10 foot.   Plenty of float for your weight and stable and surfs great.  If you want to challenge yourself a little more and reward yourself alot for surfing go with the new 10' Blue Dragon.  I just got one and they surf fantastic.  I am super stoked on this board.  I flatwater paddle it also just for fitness.  The surf sessions I have had on it have been the best.  I love it.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »

I weigh 110Kgs (17.5stone, 250 lbs) and am 5ft 10 tall.

Thanks !

Look for ~10 ft x 32 wide. Nothing shorter or narrower at your weight. This should be your sweet spot.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:31 AM »

\
I'm wondering why you guys recommend the width? I am not saying it isn't good, but if the guy has been surfing for a long time I don't see why the nalu series should be impossible?

Same ting..just looking from your description..you're looking for a surfing board...then don't go too big. I think it seems you have it dialed in on the size...it might be a little harder the first few times, but if you are looking for a surfboard, then don't go tanker IMO.

So the boards you have mentioned I have experience with the nalu 11'4..paddles well, goes into waves earlyand it a really good allround board. I would definitely saying that is a winner..except the 9'5'' mana..to say it this way..I sold the nalu and got the mana. it is a much quicker turning board. Not as easy to go early as the nalu, but will take off plenty early enough. If you are at all worried you could consider the 10'0''..but the 9'5'' will definitely float with a lot of stability....and it turns surprisingly well. I love that they come in bags...

There are a ton of boards out there...you'll definitely find one.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
My plug is for the Joe Blair 10'1" x 32 3/4" x 4 7/8"; but with that said if you've got good balance you could probably do one of his smaller boards. 

My advice is that you should try a lot of boards in the conditions that you'll use it before buying (e.g. if you want to surf try them in the surf.).  You can borrow from friends, go to demo days, rent from surf shops, or see if the shops have demo boards (Joe for example has demo boards - you leave a copy of your driver's license & take the board out for a spin).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »

I'm wondering why you guys recommend the width? I am not saying it isn't good, but if the guy has been surfing for a long time I don't see why the nalu series should be impossible?

Because width is way more important. The early SUP shapes followed prone wisdom. Once people starting thinking outside the box and went wide, the sport became 10 times easier for big guys.

Just look at the history of the sport. You've been around long enough to see 28 was once considered wide, to now 32 is.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »
i agree there is no real need to have a 12 ft board anymore unless its what u really like, but they are a pain to store and a real pain to bring around and carry. if the guy has been surfing 25 yrs i would think he's really gonna love surfing on sup do id get something tht surf well and paddles ok. id also say mayby 10 ft whopper or even starboard 9 ft hero i think would be the board stable thick and wide.   but it  really comes down to demo demo demo.... we are all just guessing my vote is still sub vector..

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:59:41 PM »
You had mentioned the Starboard Blend and the Naish Mana and Nalu.  The Blend is the least fun in the surf, this barge doesn't like to turn or surf.  There were several of us out Saturday paddling and surfing and the least fun board was the Blend.  I let my friend who was on the Blend try my board and the Blend is now for sale cheap.  As he said "night and day differnce".  I also SUP with a guy that has the 9.5 Mana and he loves it and he surfs it really well but he was also great on the Paddle Surf Hawaii 10 or 10.6 wide all arounder.  But at the upper end of weight on most boards us big guys have to balance performace and float.  DW is right on the money with the 10 x 32 or in that range, depending on your skill move it up or down.  I like 10x 32x3 3/4 with lots of rocker or 9.10 x 31.85 x 3.65. Surf only on bigger waves you can drop that to 7.10 or 8.10 and increase the thickness.

My son can ride anything but I (tall and big) have to be picky and I have been through many boards looking for the right one.  You might find you like the Mana 10 better than the 9.5 ( volumes are overstated) to start with...  Demo and try different boards. 

I finally found the best board for me and I am stoked,  The South County Blue Dragon  paddles well floats me fine and surfs better than anything I have tried.

Dugman

• Waikiki Status
    • MSN Messenger - dugshouse@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
Since I am the same weight as you I will chime in. I tried many boards and chose the South County Turtle. Would not go wrong with this board. I also own the NSP 11'6" and like it in smaller surf but find the turtle turns easier. I imagine the Dragon would be a great choice also but is a newer model and I have not had a chance to try it.

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
I really, really like my Starboard Blend despite the Blend bashing.

At about 180+ plus suit and booties, etc, it may be a different experience, though.  I have a Blend and a C4 9'3" Subvector.  They are both fun boards for different conditions.

The reason I like the Blend is that I can catch just about any bump in the water.  I can get long rides on bumps that never break.  It's also stable in bumpy water, and has a reasonable amount of glide (also have a Free Race and K15, so it's hard to compare a surf oriented board to a dedicated flatwater board).  I have the center fin all the way forward, which seemed to help turning on it.  It also took me months to start using the paddle as a leverage point, instead of just carrying the thing around on the wave.  I'm surprised at the turns I can get out of it by cranking on the paddle and getting on the tail.  It's also a really fun noserider, and stable walking from the front to the back.  I've had epic, really fun noserides on it.  In fact, it's a personal goal to noseride it if it comes out.  Having said that, the Blend is better suited to slower, lazier waves.  If it's a faster wave, I'll bring out the SubVector.  Having a choice though, is great.  The Blend was a great first board, and I'm still working on getting all the performance out of it.

I've had many days on the Blend in not so great conditions where I'm way outside catching bump after bump.  I can see the pack of prone surfers all watching me surf  by while they wait for 10 minutes between sets large enough for them.  The Blend sure makes it seem easy.  I also surf somewhere where summertime brings slow lazy, peeling waves.

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
A nice option is the new Starboard Wide Point 10'5" X 32" and 186 Litres. Good for the big boys.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 06:32:21 AM »
How about that... 13 replies and 13 different opinions.  That gives you a hint at the range of boards that are currently out there.  40/60 split it tough.  Sounds like you're looking for a jack of all trades and, like much in life, there's compromise.  I didn't note were you are from and that's pretty important. 
I started about a year and a half ago and went big.  My first board was a Starboard 12'x32'.  I was about your weight and hadn't surfed in about six years.  Surf wise I outgrew that board in about 3-4 months and was itching to get something more aggressive.  I went to a PSH all Arounder 10'6" x 30" and felt that board was a great compromise.  I've gone down again to a 9'6" x 29"with a pulled nose and am around 230.  I'm not a big believer that you have to go wide.  All depends on what you're riding and what you want to do. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard