Author Topic: water in V2 F-16?  (Read 1849 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
water in V2 F-16?
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »
I'm getting about  +or - a cup on each run ( about an hour or so) with no obvious holes anywhere and no bubbles I can see except the vent hose and the steering cable which also drains out a bit of water when I tip it tail down in order to drain it each time.  Is anyone else getting this?  I got mine in the July shipment.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: water in V2 F-16?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
I've got an aquarium pump you can borrow to pressurize it, then spray it down with dilute  baby shampoo and look for bubbles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:49:07 PM »
I don't have one (YET)  My oc-1 will have a small amount of water in it IF I huli during the run.  I think you have the same vent. If it flips on a fall i would say that's normal. If not I'm sure mark can pressure test it. I'm fairly sure you already know all this.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
My F16 V2 did exactly the same thing, took it into Mark and one of the guys blew into the breather plug while the other one sprayed the soapy bubbles over all the likely places for a leak. Turned out to be the handle, they injected epoxy all around the handle and it was fixed.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:37:35 PM »
Well thanks guys.  JC... I guess you were here when you did that test.. sounds like a likely source now that you mention it.  Were you with DJ on the famous run?

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »
No Bill, missed the infamous across the Bay run. I'm usually there with DJ but couldn't make it that day, although we did paddle out to visit the famous channel marker a few weeks later. Seem to recollect a small incident with a marker pen, something about "DJ was here".

We actually did some runs a couple of years ago that in retrospect were very dangerous, does take an event like DJ's to bring home the risks. Interesting how relaxed most people on Maui seem to be with the Maliko and South Side runs, don't get me wrong I love the freedom on Maui, but the more experienced I get the more aware I am of the risks. I think Pono Bill said one day "it's all fine till it isn't" that really stuck with me.

We were all very relieved things ended so well for DJ  - cue the Gilligans Island theme....and extremely impressed with his dedication to the true spirit of photo journalism. That shot of the board rocketing off downwind is just amazing. To be honest I'm glad I wasn't out there that day, just hearing about it was scary enough.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:15:17 AM by JonathanC »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:12:49 AM »
JC -I can't speak for the rest of the guys here on Maui but I'm always surveying the distance and know that I can swim in to shore if the need arises.  Been tagged at the very outside of uppers by a wave that separated my sail and board on a windsurfer and did the swim.. in large surf.  My training swim is two miles  (anytime there's no wind for a downwinder) so I try to always keep that reservoir of confidence. But of course it's warm here, not like Melbourne so I think it's easier to relax.  How  DJ survived even with a wetsuit... man, that guy is tough.    Plus we have West Maui sitting like a safety net at the far end... to catch everything that goes downwind. We used to collect our demasted windsurfers there when we started sailing 30 years ago. Still it's good procedure to watch out for each other like you say... even here in the warm water.  I haven't met one guy I haven't liked in this sport and don't want to leave anyone out there.  Hope you guys from DU make it out here again so I can met you.  Met Iron Phil last year and he was a kick.
Guess I've strayed off the thread... again.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »
Well it was your thread, so you'll have to kick your own butt. He Bill, I dug out that drybox for you. Can't find the camera cases, I guess Bob (Stoneaxe) took them. I have that and some other junk you might be able to use.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:19 PM »
I'll call you tomorrow (wed) about the box.  We might get wind as well. You ready to roll?  Or are you already an OC 1 convert?  Looks like thursday for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal