Author Topic: Coreban Icon 10'  (Read 24096 times)

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Coreban Icon 10'
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
 ;D My board finally arrived and she is extremely sexy... will post some pictures soon and my thoughts after i get a few sessions on it. Big thanks to Ryan and Linus at Ocean Lineage for making it possible.

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coreban Icon 10'
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
Congratulations on the new Icon. I have no doubt that it will surf well, but I’m especially interested in knowing if it would be OK for short 1-2 hr flat water sessions for days when there is no surf. There is no way for me to demo any of the Coreban boards here locally, so I’m looking forward to your photos and review.
It's all relative.

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
I should have some pics up this weekend and will also most likely get it out in some flat water very soon since unfortunately it is flat at the moment with nothing on the radar. It has more rocker then the typical all arounder models which is not a plus in flat water but it has plenty of volume and my gut feeling is that it would be fine for 1-2 hour flat water sessions... although no speed records will be broken.

I will give you my honest opinion as soon as i get it out there.

Glider

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »
I have been riding the 10' Icon for 3 months in all conditions.  It is designed for surf, very stable, works well as a flat water board as well, take out the side bites and put in a larger middle fin to reduce drag  for flat water.  Not a super glider but fun to cruise on.   Great all around board.  love it in the surf.  I'm 200 lbs 5" 10'  intermediate  to advanced level.  I use it on the central coast Of CA with a 6.5" center fin for surf, it loosened the board up compared to the 8" wingnut fin that comes with it.  Enjoy.

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Thanks for the info on fin set up Glider... you ever ride it as a quad?

Glider

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I have, but not with right fins.  I quess its time to borrow a set and see if it spices things up.  We have every type of wave here to test them out. 
Enjoy

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:59:02 PM by Aves »

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
I took the Icon out with Ryan in Malibu on Friday.  Right now I'm in Nicaragua wishing I had that board with me instead of the 11' rental NSP.   The Icon is a great board for larger guys looking for a shorter board with performance.  I've been looking for a 10' board to meet the airline lenght requirements, and this might be it.

Ps. If you plan to surf SUP in Nicaragua, bring your own boards.  There are 3 boards in the country to rent @$35/day and it's only $75 each way to bring a <=10' on Copa Air.   Great surf!

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 06:15:33 AM »
Lets try this again...

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
I am not sure why posting images from Photobucket works and Flickr does not but i finally got them up. For anyone unfamiliar with Coreban, all the boards come with a traction pad, bag, fins and double leash plugs. This is a Core series 10' Icon. What initially turned me on to these boards was a mix of performance, durability and quality. The Core series has a 20 gram HD foam core which is slightly heavier but considerably stronger then most boards on the market.

I am 6'4" and 215 lbs. I have been surfing long and short boards for 20 years and have been Stand up Surfing/Paddling for about a year now. My first board was a 10'6" PSH AA (not wide). I have had the chance to demo a few boards in the last year but i have not had a lot of experience on multiple boards. I am primarily interested in the surfing aspect of stand up but also wanted a board that would paddle well. The main problem i had with the PSH AA was stability. At my height and weight it was a tough board to learn on especially when there was any sort of chop. When i looked into the Coreban Icon i realized that the board was 6" shorter, 1 inch wider and had considerably more volume then my AA. It also appeared to be a more aggressive shape.

Unfortunately, it has been practically flat since it came in last Thursday and i can't yet give any insight as to performance in the surf. I did however go for a paddle in 20mph side wind chop on Saturday and was very impressed with the stability. On Sunday i took it out in (almost) knee high shorebreak and actually had fun. My initial thoughts on this board are that it has great stability and paddles reasonable well. As soon as we get some waves i will post my thoughts on performance.

Overall i am very stoked at the level of quality and am very impressed with what i got for my money. If it surfs as well as i have heard i will be a very happy customer. More later.

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »
H20man, i have heard good things about Nicaragua... hope you catch it good and find some friendly gringo with a nice SUP quiver. I have spent a lot of time in Costa but never made it to Nica. Tell me more about the 10' airline regulation. I am planning a trip to Nosara CR next year and have been meaning to look into the logistics of getting a SUP down there.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
cool board-love the double plugs-next board will have that setup. Depending on airline getting a sup this big anywhere is not fun-you'd think you were transporting a car with how much they charge.
Just me but if i see another camo pad again im gonna hurl!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »
Glad to hear good things about the 10'.  I have the 9' Coreban and love it.  Surfs really well and paddles flat water good too as long as you are not racing someone.
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »
@SoCal... haha at least if you hurl on the board it will blend in with the camo pad. I actually have some Versatraction coming for the nose that i'm going to try out. If i like it at some point i might replace the pad and go all Versa.

@Supstoked... i looked hard at the 9' but at my height and weight decided to go to the 10'. I was trying to blend glide and performance. I can already tell the glide is there. As soon as we get some quality waves i will check out the performance side.

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:45:29 AM »
Nice Board! Great to see more options out there for larger paddle surfers.Wish my local dealers sold these and weren't so dialed into the spring/summer months and only featuring two or three brands of SUP's ....but that's off topic.

Not that it's a big deal and no offense intended but Got to agree w/SoCal Re: Camo pads. Whoever came up with this camo color scheme and worse whichever designer  thought they ever looked good on any board sadly has no aesthetic sense whatsoever.

Looking past the pad  ;) this is a real nice shape!! Looking forward to your performance reviews.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill